test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What's the deal with GMOPs?

mahgnilligmahgnillig Member Posts: 20 Arc User
Can anyone tell me why GMOPs are used as currency and why people would rather have those than ADs? I don't get it...

Best Answers

• iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited July 2015 Answer ✓
    I'd guess people prefer to use them for trading high value items that they don't want to put in the AH due to posting fee/AH cut etc , you cannot trade using AD outside of the AH so they use a high value item instead of AD , before the GMOP it used to be lockbox keys (until they got made bound) , it is the same in other MMO's , GW had obsidian shards that they used for pretty much the same reason for example
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • zukn75zukn75 Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    Answer ✓
    Yep they're an item with a set value that can be put into the trade window that is highly desired, allowing people to trade a fixed value without paying the AH a 10% cut.

Answers

• mahgnilligmahgnillig Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    OK, thanks... that explains it. I still don't get why people are trying to sell them on the AH for more than 100k when you can buy them from the wondrous bazaar though.
    mahgnillig wrote: »
    OK, thanks... that explains it. I still don't get why people are trying to sell them on the AH for more than 100k when you can buy them from the wondrous bazaar though.

Lots of people have no idea that they have a set price in the wondrous bazaar , if the VIP thing people have datamined actually happens the marks will probably all get made BoP anyway because of the 25% VIP discount.
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    VIP thing aside, now that this has been explained on the forum, expect them to be account bound soon...
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    kvet wrote: »
    VIP thing aside, now that this has been explained on the forum, expect them to be account bound soon...
    Indeed, the 10% AH cut is important to bleed AD out of the economy, so any item replacing AD as currency is very likely to go BtA really quickly.

They probably only need to make the ones in Wondrous Bazaar BtA, the random dropped ones are rare enough that they can still stay tradeable.

• quspivquspiv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    Players will find new things to trade, like RP or Coal wards or maybe even do transactions outside of the game.
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    Coal wards used to be currency, until they made most of them bound.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    The devs want to quash any sort of "grey market" when it comes to circumventing the Auction House. To some degree, I can understand this - even with the update to the trading system, people can still get scammed, and by not having to go through the AH, yet another method of fighting inflation is sidestepped.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Member Posts: 601 Arc User
    Indeed, the 10% AH cut is important to bleed AD out of the economy, so any item replacing AD as currency is very likely to go BtA really quickly.

They probably only need to make the ones in Wondrous Bazaar BtA, the random dropped ones are rare enough that they can still stay tradeable.

Simpler solution would just be to make all trades taxable. Age of Wushu and a few other MMOs actually did this.

To be honest that really wouldn't bother me all that much , every time I upgrade I always check the AH prices first and when I see greedy scumbags selling the epic marks for 115k+ it makes me cringe , the devs should really make a upgrade quest that forces new players to open the wondrous bazaar so they get an idea what is sold there.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    iambecks1 wrote: »

To be honest that really wouldn't bother me all that much , every time I upgrade I always check the AH prices first and when I see greedy scumbags selling the epic marks for 115k+ it makes me cringe , the devs should really make a upgrade quest that forces new players to open the wondrous bazaar so they get an idea what is sold there.

They already have the "how enchanting quest" - just modify it so, instead of just placing the lesser marks in your inventory, you have to go to the Wondrous Bazaar, and it adds a free stack of 10 lessers for you to buy/claim. They could even make it so you must scroll through both tabs of the store, just to cover all the basics.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

There is a quest that sends you to the bazaar. Some people don't do it, and it doesn't force you to even look at what's in the bazaar, but if you do the Beggar's Nest quest (level 10 quest) at the end, you have to talk to Rhix, who then directs you to the Bazaar.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    False. Buying the gmops in order to complete the trade is already 10000 more of sink compared to the ah.
    edited July 2015
    kreatyve wrote: »

There is a quest that sends you to the bazaar. Some people don't do it, and it doesn't force you to even look at what's in the bazaar, but if you do the Beggar's Nest quest (level 10 quest) at the end, you have to talk to Rhix, who then directs you to the Bazaar.

Yeah but like Bioshrike said it doesn't make the player actually open up the wondrous bazaar and look at what is sold in the Bazaar , like he suggested they should just change the basic upgrading quest so you get walked through the items that are sold in the wondrous bazaar .
  • mattsacremattsacre Member Posts: 330 Arc User
    About the quest sending etc. Some people you can't protect from themselves, you can't nerfball coat the world.

On the AD bleed of the AH and binding alternative "currency". They could mitigate all of that and not have to bind this that or the other, and not even have to have a bleed off etc. A small fee for the AH would be all that is needed to stop the AH used as storage etc. or AH scammers.

What would that simple thing they could do to mitigate it? Remove the Ad/Zen cap. Let the AD for Zen amount actually float over 500 ea. and true market dynamics set the exchange rate.

Currently the cap at 500 ea. has people parking huge amounts of AD there in the hope that someone will trade Zen in for AD to kit out alt etc. They have run out of things to spend the AD on and don't want to eat the 10% thing on AH, so they park them on AD/Zen market to buy Zen gear instead.

If the cap was removed and it was allowed to go over 500 ea the new exchange rate would set itself, those that parked AD would have to exchange larger than 500 to get the Zen gear and bleed off those AD from them. It would encourage those that are kitting out alts etc. to buy Zen for RL money to get their values worth through the AD exchange market, then they are going to use those AD they got to support the AH (and therby bleeding the AD out)

PW/Cryptic don't actually give a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> what is sold or bought for RL money, they just want the money right? Does it matter to them that you bought a Zen mount or AD, to them there is no difference, it's both digital content for RL money.

So float the exchange rate, those that want a better AD for Zen rate are going to buy the Zen to exchange for AD rather than the Zen market <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, those with the AD to spare are going to buy that Zen to buy the Zen market <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Either way, someone is buying Zen and the AD are gotten bled out.
  • skitzopyroskitzopyro Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    GMOPs are highly desirable because they are used in Refining to get higher Ranks. Though I could see some insane rage if they were to become BtA.
  • neirgaraneirgara Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    mattsacre wrote: »
    About the quest sending etc. Some people you can't protect from themselves, you can't nerfball coat the world.

On the AD bleed of the AH and binding alternative "currency". They could mitigate all of that and not have to bind this that or the other, and not even have to have a bleed off etc. A small fee for the AH would be all that is needed to stop the AH used as storage etc. or AH scammers.

What would that simple thing they could do to mitigate it? Remove the Ad/Zen cap. Let the AD for Zen amount actually float over 500 ea. and true market dynamics set the exchange rate.

Currently the cap at 500 ea. has people parking huge amounts of AD there in the hope that someone will trade Zen in for AD to kit out alt etc. They have run out of things to spend the AD on and don't want to eat the 10% thing on AH, so they park them on AD/Zen market to buy Zen gear instead.

If the cap was removed and it was allowed to go over 500 ea the new exchange rate would set itself, those that parked AD would have to exchange larger than 500 to get the Zen gear and bleed off those AD from them. It would encourage those that are kitting out alts etc. to buy Zen for RL money to get their values worth through the AD exchange market, then they are going to use those AD they got to support the AH (and therby bleeding the AD out)

PW/Cryptic don't actually give a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> what is sold or bought for RL money, they just want the money right? Does it matter to them that you bought a Zen mount or AD, to them there is no difference, it's both digital content for RL money.

So float the exchange rate, those that want a better AD for Zen rate are going to buy the Zen to exchange for AD rather than the Zen market <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, those with the AD to spare are going to buy that Zen to buy the Zen market <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Either way, someone is buying Zen and the AD are gotten bled out.

AH Fee: There already is one. The moment you put an item into the AH to be sold, you will pay a small fee, depending on the price you set for the item. After it is sold, you will get the price - 10% AH + paid fee. If it is not sold, then you lose the fee.

PW/Cryptic don't give a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>: That is not right. They try to control the economy (how much and if what they do is right is another discussion), so they have a motivation to check the use of GMoPs as an alternate currency. Though I don't think, that they will feel compelled to bind them. At the moment, using them as alternate currency makes some players buy them from the Wondrous Bazaar, which (as was already mentioned) functions as an AD sink and probably works better than the AH Fees.

Exchange rate: I would be careful with that, as I'm sure we don't have enough data to see if it would work out as you think. So far, there are "whales", which means players with 9-10 digit amounts of AD. Some of them made them through exploits, some with real money investments and many with insane grinding / much luck, playing the lockbox game and playing the AH. These amounts make it possible for single players, to influence the economy strongly. What could these players do, when there is no cap? (That's a sincere question, as I don't have the answer)
  • grabmooregrabmoore Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    quspiv wrote: »
    Players will find new things to trade, like RP or Coal wards or maybe even do transactions outside of the game.
    Huh?

Both were used before and are bound now. Seems they won't learn from their mistakes and keep on destroying the economy (if that's still possible).
    @grabmoore

Heroes of Darkness

Retired since 02/15
    My opinions are my own. Please do not judge my friends nor guild for my statements.
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User

...oh, it's not only those. Real scumbags try to sell newbies grey MoPs for 35 AD apiece or Jewel-Encrusted Platinum Chalices for 9k per 20-stack... ...or currently ZEN store items for ZAX value plus 15% overhad, right now to take out - after having bough that stuff with the 15% coupons...

...cryptocapitalistic profiteering. :^/

And re. GMoPs... ...it's the SOJ of NW currently. Plus side: 95%+ are bought from WB and so their initial price is scavenged out from the currency pool. Currently prices tend to decrease, IMHO because the buyer pool does so....
  • braceguilderbraceguilder Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    you probably meant character bound...
  • wentriswentris Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    skitzopyro wrote: »
    GMOPs are highly desirable because they are used in Refining to get higher Ranks. Though I could see some insane rage if they were to become BtA.

Im only worried if they did that stealthy without giving people that chose to keep their wealth in Gmops a chance to convert them to AD. Even that would probably be extremely annoying, because these people would try to sell all their Gmops in few days, so the price on AH would decrease dramatically.

Personally I dont find trading vs Gmops wrong - many games have currencies like that. Plus it drains more AD from market than AH fee would do - AH cuts like 10% of the total price, but you have to convert 100% of AD into Gmops in WB.
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    wentris wrote: »
    Im only worried if they did that stealthy without giving people that chose to keep their wealth in Gmops a chance to convert them to AD. Even that would probably be extremely annoying, because these people would try to sell all their Gmops in few days, so the price on AH would decrease dramatically.

Who keeps their wealth in GMOPs? It has a fixed price of 100K AD in WB. And it is not easily convertible to AD. Even trading with GMOPs can only be done in 100K AD increments. Not very efficient, though still might be worthwhile if both sides end up saving some AD.

Yes it would be annoying... to people who take advantage of the uninformed in the AH. Prices in AH would not decrease. Look at the AH now. Even at 115+K AD, the turnover is pretty good, even for stacks of GMOPs. So sad there are so many people who don't know better and getting taken to the cleaners. If the prices move, it would go up since people who don't know about WB would buy up all they can.
  • silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    aulduron wrote: »
    Coal wards used to be currency, until they made most of them bound.

Lockbox keys as well. Remember all the spammers in PE Zone chat wanting to trade keys?
    I aim to misbehave
  • dsn1118dsn1118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 682 Arc User

What will happen to the lockbox items with this plan if zen price goes up and lockbox keys become more expensive.It is already hard to raise AD for new players to get 110% mounts.Some of our new players got sick of grinding that much money just to buy one horse and left the game.

• rgladiatorgladiato Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 313 Arc User
    ...nerfball coat the world.

That sounds awesome! Now I have a life goal!
    Nixon the TR
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
    o1iHDN0.png?1
  • urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Exchange rate: I would be careful with that, as I'm sure we don't have enough data to see if it would work out as you think. So far, there are "whales", which means players with 9-10 digit amounts of AD. Some of them made them through exploits, some with real money investments and many with insane grinding / much luck, playing the lockbox game and playing the AH. These amounts make it possible for single players, to influence the economy strongly. What could these players do, when there is no cap? (That's a sincere question, as I don't have the answer)

The real problem as I see it is that a cap increase would make the value of AD drop like a rock and players that aren't spending much money would be looking at insane prices for items on the AH with no way to really farm it adequately.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    The time they kill the cap is the time for me to leave.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***