test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Epic Contest: Drowned Shore Foundry Style

Comments

• eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    Here's a teaser for what I'm working on now.. ;D

Hmm. The easter egg rules say each must be labeled "Easter Egg One", "Easter Egg Two", etc.
    Should be relax that rule and simply specify there must be exactly five unique easter eggs?
    ...and description open to authors as well -- I was kind of thinking the description would prompt the user to realize they could win a prize, but the descriptions are a bit short to really convey that. I guess once it gets closer, StrumSlinger can maybe throw up a news item (maybe even in game?) describing the easter egg contest.

• torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    I've actually renamed them One, Two, Three, Four, and Five since taking that screenshot.. ;D

Was doublechecking the rules page and saw that, so they got renamed. ;D (Just took the screenshot a week before I could actually post to forums ;D)
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • zachariah92zachariah92 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 49 Arc User
    Argh, I still need to do these eggs, and hide them, btw lots of hours done in Shore quest, and lasts 7 min only.

I still need to do a lot of work, but nearly 31ºC (88º F) here in Barcelona and my PC is about to explode any moment soon!
    NW - DD69G42V2 - The Stolen Dragon Egg
    NWS - DPVINV31F - La Corona de la Sombra
    NW - DTKMPU3RQ - Contest: Portal - The Forgotten
    NW-DRTBVIVMU - Drowned Shore: Disembark #DS#
    Argh, I still need to do these eggs, and hide them, btw lots of hours done in Shore quest, and lasts 7 min only.

Eggs aren't a requirement (I don't think) -- I'll have to double check. Should be optional I think.
    I think we'll also make the egg descriptions open to authors -- not really enough room to push easter egg contest info -- I'll make a seperate easter egg contest related thread when we get closer to deadline.

I too have spent hours on shore quest and haven't even gotten to time testing yet. I've barely got 2 set encounters and a wandering patrol done -- still 3 underwater caves to detail/populate, and the enemy controlled mine area!

How are you handling your underwater caves? going to a different map, then back to a copy of your blackdagger west?

or teleporting them elsewhere oN the blackdagger caves map?
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    Thanks for all the fish.
    edited June 2015
    How are you handling your underwater caves? going to a different map, then back to a copy of your blackdagger west?
    or teleporting them elsewhere oN the blackdagger caves map?

Nope. Raised the water level above the north/south caves and tunnel == 3 underwater caves. :-)
    All on same map. I've got no map transitions (yet). 2 (teleporters to) underground mines, and a lighthouse HQ "interior" :smile:
    ahhh i raised the water level really high on the top half of the map,

the bottom half has it slightly lowered. there are rapids inbetween with a raft ride. ;D i also have that tunnel? to do, i think(?) Havent looked at the south of the map really.. I've blocked off one of the "caves" though..

i'm planning on using the tops of the lighthouses and rope bridges between them. ;D
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    These all sound pretty amazing.. can't wait to see them in action.

I only hope that my humble offering will be able to keep up.
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • xetmk24xetmk24 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    Hi,
    Sorry for coming in late but can I have a questions about this contest?

I'm assuming that this map is supposed to be our own version of drowned shore not recreation of the official one? Are we allowed to make stuff up as long as it agree with - water came, everybody died?
    Echo of the Ancient - NW-DT2ABLPD2 - The Wizards forces are pillaging ruins of the ancient, elven kingdom of Illefarn. In order to stop them, you need to lead your party through old, abandoned mines. But beware... you are not alone there...
    edited July 2015
    Rules are at the beginning of this post.. but its use "Blackdagger Ruins West" map, with the "Drowned Shore" Lore as put out by Cryptic..

I wouldn't recreate the official one, because it sucked. ;D It's the reason we've made this contest. ;D

but yea, as long as you have "wave came, cultists came" it should be good. ;D
    Thanks for all the fish.
    Rules are at the beginning of this post.. but its use "Blackdagger Ruins West" map, with the "Drowned Shore" Lore as put out by Cryptic..

I wouldn't recreate the official one, because it sucked. ;D It's the reason we've made this contest. ;D

but yea, as long as you have "wave came, cultists came" it should be good. ;D

Yep - create your own version of the Drowned Shore -- ignore Cryptics - how would YOU re-create the map?
    The "official" lore from Cryptic's Lore Master is here: Drowned Shore
    Basically water cultists, post tidal wave, etc. And the "Blackdagger Ruins West" map needs to "feature" prominently -- you can transition to other maps, but more than 50% of the quest/story should occupy the map.
    edited July 2015
    Updated ...

Players Prize!
    The first ten players that posts an image in an entrants quest thread containing 5 "Easter Egg" quest items from one of the winning entrants have a chance to win .....A Heavy Inferno Nightmare.
    Heavy_Inferno_Nightmare.jpg
    "Easter Egg" quest item requirements:
    • Label: Authors Choice - each should be different for authentication purposes
    • Description: Must have "(Easter Egg #)" at beginning of description
    • Icon: Authors Choice - each should be a different icon for authentication purposes
    • Must be received by interacting with something and not combat or dialog.
  • xetmk24xetmk24 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    Got it. Thanks. I'll take a look at that map.
    Echo of the Ancient - NW-DT2ABLPD2 - The Wizards forces are pillaging ruins of the ancient, elven kingdom of Illefarn. In order to stop them, you need to lead your party through old, abandoned mines. But beware... you are not alone there...
    550/1700 Details used

20/50 Encounters used

41/50 NPC's used

58/500 Actors used (? If not NPCs, what this for?)

0 Rooms, 0 Doors, 0 Clusters (Can we make our own clusters?)

8/20 Sounds

*tinker* *tinker *tinker* ooh, just came up with a new questline, Tinker,Tailor,Soldier,Spy ;D
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • chazidrezchazidrez Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    please remove this post. wrong place and can't delete.

0 Rooms, 0 Doors, 0 Clusters (Can we make our own clusters?)

You can select a bunch of assets and do a copy/paste in 2D mode, but then, it changes the Y of the new ones.

But yeah, I would like to have some clusters of my own.

• karistianakaristiana Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    I'm looking forward to playing these quests. Those sweet AD prizes kinda makes me wish I was an author hehe. Perhaps one day I'll give it a try. The mount would be an upgrade for me though, so an Easter Egg hunting I will go :).

I'm glad to see players were not left out and can also earn a prize. By including players in the ability to earn prizes, that, to me, shows appreciation of the the time players invest in completing these quests.
    edited July 2015
    Anyone else having problems with Encounters on a Water plane?

In testing, my melee mobs won't come towards the player, they just stand where they are in the water.

I may have to change them all to ranged if I can't figure out why they don't move/attack while in water. =X

Edit: I also nominate @strumslinger as a Judge.. Hopefully he can find the time to play all the entries.. Perhaps on livestream again?
    Thanks for all the fish.
    Nope,
    what encounter are you using?

and what water plane are you using?

and is the encounter below the water plane or above the water plane?

:p
    Edit: I also nominate @strumslinger as a Judge.. Hopefully he can find the time to play all the entries.. Perhaps on livestream again?

I seriously doubt he would be able to commit to possibly 10 hours of testing.
    Besides that, he was looking into possibly providing further prize rewards so that may be a conflict of interest.
    ​​
  • strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
    I'd be glad to stream the 10 entries though it wouldn't be in one sitting. I can probably split it up into five different streams all in one week since there's still ample time for me to plan. I'm also still working on the prizes, so I'll update Eldarth when I can.

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
    Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
    Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

water plane - default i think? or clean? .. monsters are on 0 terrain with the plane acting as terrain, ill try moving them up. =D

Thanks Strum!
    Thanks for all the fish.
    I'd be glad to stream the 10 entries though it wouldn't be in one sitting. I can probably split it up into five different streams all in one week since there's still ample time for me to plan. I'm also still working on the prizes, so I'll update Eldarth when I can.

Awesome -- and no rush on prizes - we've still got nearly two months before submissions closed. And just remember no prizes just for entering! :p

​​
    edited July 2015
    UPDATED
    • Quest Title: Must contain "#DS#"

Found that "#DS#" is perfectly legal in title, is searchable, and should give everyone a little more space for interesting titles. B) ​​
    Yeah, so none of the melee mobs on my default water plane will actually move towards the player =?

Gonna have to change them all to ranged.
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • essentiessenti Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 303 Arc User
    Yeah, so none of the melee mobs on my default water plane will actually move towards the player =?

In foundry preview, no NPCs nor Encounters will move correctly through water planes. Its because the pathing isn't quite right until the full pathing is calculated as part of the Publish process. If you do a test publish, the melee mobs should be working correctly.
    Campaign - Trail of the Imaskarcana (NWS-DMFG77QOF)
    • A Mere Expedition! (NW-DIAAPG3S4)
    • Work In Progress on Part 2
  • maegmaagmaegmaag Member Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    essenti wrote: »

In foundry preview, no NPCs nor Encounters will move correctly through water planes. Its because the pathing isn't quite right until the full pathing is calculated as part of the Publish process. If you do a test publish, the melee mobs should be working correctly.

Just to note, pathing in water planes never worked correctly. Unless there is no way to avoid it (swamp-like environment for example and even then its manageable), never allow an encounter to reach water plane. U can easily c this issue even in the open sharandar maps (offi content), which use water planes instead of built-in water mechanic (u can cleary say the difference by just the look, not to mention water planes do not have "underwater view"). So the pathing issue does not happen at places with that "built-in water", like Ebon Downs. The encounter will eventually reach their target in/from water plane, but it takes "a lot" of time. I doubt this will ever be corrected.

edit: to clarify, by "water plane" i mean the foundry assets, contrary to the mentioned "built-in water and mechanic"; also note, due to the issue, placing ur "timer/bg logic solver" in water plane (just dont use it ever, it sux ^^) can effectively break ur intention (it can multiply the time or even break it totally);

edit2: just came on mind the cause of it may be some "interference" or a collision of water plane and terrain (or object) collision datas and its detection, never bothered to test it extensively, but tmay as well render an object (platform) partially collisionless - i have a spot or two in my foundry, where the collision is below the surface (a cliff in this case) and one platform totally losing its collision, but tmay be caused by a decal asset in 1st and other circumstances (campfire, map corner, its position...dont know, did not bother with it) in 2nd example - but thats for completely another thread and a subject to extensive tests (well or its Dev input ^^);
    Post edited by maegmaag on
    dAuGVxU.png
    A bit nosy NW-DKG7E99X6
    "Hardcore" exploration journey and dungeon crawl. Read its description prior to trying it.
    maegmaag wrote: »
    Just to note, pathing in water planes never worked correctly. Unless there is no way to avoid it (swamp-like environment for example and even then its manageable), never allow an encounter to reach water plane. U can easily c this issue even in the open sharandar maps (offi content), which use water planes instead of built-in water mechanic (u can cleary say the difference by just the look, not to mention water planes do not have "underwater view"). So the pathing issue does not happen at places with that "built-in water", like Ebon Downs. The encounter will eventually reach their target in/from water plane, but it takes "a lot" of time. I doubt this will ever be corrected.

It seems to be working correctly in mine -- I'm using the 60x60x(40?) water tile w/underwater view (w/collision removed by using Invert If Visible If (Bogus Item). I've also got full 500x500 water planes and an inverted water plane with collisions disabled and my mobs path along the underwater terrain, and right up and out of the water.

​​
  • maegmaagmaegmaag Member Posts: 332 Arc User
    The "disabled collision" is the key there probably. And by underwater view i meant the effect of humming and view distortion, and the option u can check in client settings, which works only (at least for me, no matter the settings) with the built-in water only (usually found in interior prebuilt rooms), when u move ur camera under the water surface - into the water. If the whole volume is above the walkable area it should have no issues, like with any other object.
    dAuGVxU.png
    A bit nosy NW-DKG7E99X6
    "Hardcore" exploration journey and dungeon crawl. Read its description prior to trying it.
    edited July 2015
    maegmaag wrote: »
    ... which works only (at least for me, no matter the settings) with the built-in water only (usually found in interior prebuilt rooms), when u move ur camera under the water surface - into the water.

Actually, no, there is ONE water plane asset that is 60x60 or 64x64 or something that has a "depth" greater than 4' -- that has the underwater ripple/shimmer effect just like the pre-built terrains (I know Tower District water areas have it as well having built a loooong tunnel beneath and around through them).

​​