Install Arc
Options

how to counter a Oathbound paladin

Comments

• Options
    blackxxwolf3blackxxwolf3 Member Posts: 1,539 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    By your logic:

- A control wizard should have his damage greatly reduced as well.. since you know? It's a CONTROL wizard.

- A devoted cleric shouldn't DPS at all.. since you know? Its destiny is to be devoted to helping others, a lifetime support

- A Great Weapon Fighter should be able to completely brutalize people and cut them off to pieces.. since you know? He sacrifices a shield for a two-handed GreatSword

Etc etc.

actually you hit the nail on the head. gwf is a primary striker means more damage cw is a secondary striker. im not sure what a dc is but its definitely not a striker.
  • Options
    schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    as a warlock its easy, stack your dots-at wills /encounter.... wait .... go on with all you have wait...... when you see number popping up, hit with daily or what you have at the moment, the dots will do the rest, i use Hadadrs grasp (like entangleing force) Harrow Storm (prone) and some sort of stun Wraith Shadow, so 3 sort of cc+ Brood of hadar (CC), all these are dots as well so, WB also is known as encounter against Paladin
    as GWF I have to do much more timing
  • Options
    donkieydonkiey Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Damn near unbeatable. My incoming dmg is reduced by 20% at all times. Once i get my passives rolling im at 50%. then i have my Shielding strike and Vigilance. Not to mention my Normal Block with all it's passives. As far as skills go i use Templar's Wrath (massive temp hp), Divine Touch (shield + DMG), Smite (Dot + Target dmg output reduction). So i stack dmg encounters that have a defensive bonus. For my Aura's i use Aura of Truth + Protection. My daily's are Divine Protector and Judgement. I save my active on divine call use buff's when wrath is on cd. That's my normal setup b4 i need to sub anything in. Try it out. The only time i die is if it's 1v3+ and i get CC'ed to death. If i really wana be a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and just go for broke on dmg i use this set up: Bane + Templar's Wrath. Stack bane x3. Charge at yah and stun with wrath then drop the hammer of "Divine Judgement". If yer a Protection OP and yer not running Templar's wrath and reducing yer encounter cooldown, then yer shooting yer'self in the foot.
    My build. The feats are what's important. http://nwcalc.com/index.html#/op?b=2xhq:wwiflu:9m9s:5ykqz,1uhi350:1000000:1z050zv:1u0u000&h=1&p=oop
  • Options
    drfattdrfatt Member Posts: 31
    edited June 2015
    It's easy to kill a paladin - CW+TR or CW+HR combo can do the trick, if they're not noobs with green/blue items of course. Usually takes a minute or two, but after some heavy CC spamming, the pally is death. Be prepared for his "insta heal" - it's a daily called "lay of hands" and if pally activates it, he's half death. If you're a noob and you can't kill a paladin with Ilvl 3500+, it's fine - you can't kill any class with this kind of gear, you will hit them for 1000-2000 dmg, while they're burning your soul apart. But you can out tank the pally easily because of his pitiful dmg - just step on the node, laugh at his face and enjoy his frustration. If you want to kill everything you see and you're dmg dealer class, you have to get elemental burning set, some rank 8's, negation enchant and you'll be the king of the hill.
    "All ppl complaining about paladins being immortals are undergeared players, who are thinking like young hussar officers - they want to slice the enemy with few hits and then to go for a drink."
  • Options
    quspivquspiv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    Send another Paly to fight him or some class with knockbacks, like CW / DC / GF. Remember to that killing not required to win, so dont tunel vision trying to kill the tank while you can just outcap him elsewhere.
  • Options
    icyphishicyphish Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,255 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    drfatt wrote: »
    It's easy to kill a paladin - CW+TR or CW+HR combo can do the trick, if they're not noobs with green/blue items of course. Usually takes a minute or two, but after some heavy CC spamming, the pally is death. Be prepared for his "insta heal" - it's a daily called "lay of hands" and if pally activates it, he's half death. If you're a noob and you can't kill a paladin with Ilvl 3500+, it's fine - you can't kill any class with this kind of gear, you will hit them for 1000-2000 dmg, while they're burning your soul apart. But you can out tank the pally easily because of his pitiful dmg - just step on the node, laugh at his face and enjoy his frustration. If you want to kill everything you see and you're dmg dealer class, you have to get elemental burning set, some rank 8's, negation enchant and you'll be the king of the hill.

Your signature is not true, even BiS people complains about Paladins being immortals, because once they are ilvl4000+ and know what they are doing, nothing kills them, no matter how geared and skillful their opponent is. The difference is, most of the high end players learnt to deal with them in a different way, try to keep them occupied on one node instead of trying to kill them, and hence there are many boring 1hour+ fights nowadays... its so sad PvP is heading toward this way, less chills and excitments, but annoyance... :(
    icydrake%20avatar2_zpsg7rp0xti.jpg

Author of GWF Speed Demon PvP Build (Mod 11) <- Click to reveal the Speedy Beast! >:)
  • Options
    umcjdkingumcjdking Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    I found that having a WK/Scoundrel who uses VP, Smoke Bomb, Dazing Strike and has boatload of recovery (ie 6k+) can assist greatly, moreso than any other class or build that I can think of outside of the very rarely seen Archmage Oppressor CW, in the destruction of any OP.

Unlike HR, the WK/Scoundrel can cause a massive amount of area denial (2nd only to Archer/Stormwarden) with little threat to himself.
  • Options
    kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    umcjdking wrote: »
    I found that having a WK/Scoundrel who uses VP, Smoke Bomb, Dazing Strike and has boatload of recovery (ie 6k+) can assist greatly, moreso than any other class or build that I can think of outside of the very rarely seen Archmage Oppressor CW, in the destruction of any OP.

Unlike HR, the WK/Scoundrel can cause a massive amount of area denial (2nd only to Archer/Stormwarden) with little threat to himself.

Good luck with doing that against a paladin armed with T.Elven Battle.

Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    icyphish wrote: »
    Your signature is not true, even BiS people complains about Paladins being immortals, because once they are ilvl4000+ and know what they are doing, nothing kills them, no matter how geared and skillful their opponent is.
    You know, I can see the wheel of the elements animation on the ground, just before I die, you damn hypocrite. Every match there is at least one abuser. Against pvp guild premade EVERYBODY abuses it. They surrounds the pally, stuns him and unleash the hell on him. So the paladins are not a problem right now, why are you crying?
    This is how you're supposed to kill a paladin:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=S_pL4VoK2Bk
    "All ppl complaining about paladins being immortals are undergeared players, who are thinking like young hussar officers - they want to slice the enemy with few hits and then to go for a drink."
  • Options
    donkieydonkiey Member Posts: 2 Arc User

What about OP's who have good control resist? Been hit by the combo you speak of by iLVL3800+ and it only burns through my Shields a lil b4 it takes just a piece outa my Temp hp. And since it's temp hp thx for the divine call energy, which i use to <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out another shield. I love when pure DD comes at me. WE A GONA CC HIM TO DEATH WOOO. O wtf my cc only lasted 1/2 second. O noes now im stunned and he has +50% temp hp and coming at me with dmg reducing shield pooping encounters. Wrath, Divine Touch and Smite is a simple stock DD killer.
  • Options
    donkiey wrote: »
    What about OP's who have good control resist?
    Watch the video in my last post. This is the reality now.
  • Options
    ralexinorralexinor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 576 Arc User

Learn to test things before assuming.

Wheel of Elements was ninja-fixed in the last patch. Fire is no longer true piercing (it acts like post-fix HR piercing blades instead of broken Mod 4 piercing blades), and goes off post-mitigation damage instead of pre-mitigation, and is hence avoidable now. Multiple elements can no longer be taken - you see the text pop up, but you gain none of the buffs. The buffs you tried to get will have disappeared, meaning you can't get any of them any longer - aka you're being punished for trying to abuse it now, which is good.

OPs are still overpowered as all hell. Most brainless class in the game atm, don't know why anyone would be defending this broken class. If you're dying to anyone even 1v2 as a paladin, you're either undergeared, or you plain suck. Or both. Even with fire wheel when it was bugged, it was an uphill struggle trying to kill a paladin.

The only option for countering an OP is to have a GF or CW on them, knocking them offpoint and making them bleed points as much as possible. Or you might get lucky and the OP is stupid enough to be running Aura of Courage so you can oneshot them with damage loops. But that's only if they're stupid enough.

Also the Aura of Truth dazes need to have a hard ICD or be removed entirely.
  • Options
    ralexinor wrote: »
    Also the Aura of Truth dazes need to have a hard ICD or be removed entirely.

...last night, I actually met a team with two paladins that coordinated the AoE stun, constantly, every time.

Unplayable. No way to keep a coherent teamwork within the node at all, which forces you to buy distance, which means getting off the node, which also means the group being scattered to avoid the stuns, which also means picked off and killed one by one.

Was a disaster.
  • Options

lol, that video is exactly how GWF feels when TR uses SE, undodgeable, 100%crit and is Piercing damage :)

I didn't know CWs using Fire Wheen makes its daily undodgeable, I can confirm when GWF uses Fire Wheel, GWFs' attacks are still dodgeable :)

Also, I know how OP works, I know their skills, the silver light, blue light, the golden release light, the heals, the cleanse and their tab abilities, however knowing those still wont help beating a 4k+ OP, (yes I can bring down most 3ks and some 3.5ks). If CW's attacks become undodgeable when they use Fire Wheel then I strongly recommend you to report it to the Bugs section :)

Few days ago I was beating on Morkel (some TR), and he accused me of using exploits because he said I attacked him when I was in smoke bomb (if I could attack I wouldn't be jumping away from the bomb....obviously, unless I am in unstoppable...) So after he flamed me for 10 minutes and chosen to ignore me, I kept trying to work out what it was... at the end I think I found out what he meant.... Deflection+Fey Thistle....

You see, its easy to accuse people for using 'bugs', but only if first you can prove its a BUG and not a designed feature.
    I have seen so many people saying Fire Wheel is a bug as it adds piercing damage, I personally would think that is working as designed, however if the players' attacks becomes undodgable, then its a different story, because it means a skill is not just being buffed but altered. Guess what, there were even people going as far as calling Negation enchantment as BUGGED only because its a better choice over most other enchantments.

Bugs are like - Getting multiple Wheel of Elements buffs at once, because the dev clearly specified only one buff should be obtained at one time

Features are like - Perm Stealth build (some ppl call them bugged build) but they are really just working as designed.

Author of GWF Speed Demon PvP Build (Mod 11) <- Click to reveal the Speedy Beast! >:)
  • Options
    polymemepolymeme Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    I play an executioner TR and SE is TOTALLY dodgeable. It has a big flashy animation and distinct sound and every class can get out of it if they know how.
    My build is a sort of front-loading damage. I run in, stealth, unleash massive DPS in one or 2 shots, then smoke bomb and get out. I built for piercing damage, and I can generally take out a similar-geared OP with little problem. I am actually more effective against tanks than I am against other roles, and I try to kill them so they stop protecting the rest of the party. I've scared the pants off a fair few temp-hp turtles by dropping SE and lashing on them and taking them from full health + an ocean of temp HP to half health in a few seconds. If they don't die, they run, and the point is ours for the taking.
    I have gone against a healer OP or 2, and they're actually really annoying. They have so much healing I couldn't keep up. I'm tearing them to shreds and they're just spamming that at-will - or one of the other 3 or 4 ways a pally can heal - and building right back up.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Didn't really want to reply this so I am gonna cut it short.

GWF/SW has no ability to dodge, so your SE is 100% hit, crit, pierce, and it would look similar to whats in that video, period. (unless the GWF uses any skill that grants them temporary invincibility, such as mighty leap, avalanche (takes about 1 second to cast))
    polymeme wrote: »
    I play an executioner TR and SE is TOTALLY dodgeable. It has a big flashy animation and distinct sound and every class can get out of it if they know how.
    My build is a sort of front-loading damage. I run in, stealth, unleash massive DPS in one or 2 shots, then smoke bomb and get out. I built for piercing damage, and I can generally take out a similar-geared OP with little problem. I am actually more effective against tanks than I am against other roles, and I try to kill them so they stop protecting the rest of the party. I've scared the pants off a fair few temp-hp turtles by dropping SE and lashing on them and taking them from full health + an ocean of temp HP to half health in a few seconds. If they don't die, they run, and the point is ours for the taking.
    I have gone against a healer OP or 2, and they're actually really annoying. They have so much healing I couldn't keep up. I'm tearing them to shreds and they're just spamming that at-will - or one of the other 3 or 4 ways a pally can heal - and building right back up.

• Options
    polymemepolymeme Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    OK, as I said, I play a TR in pvp. I have dropped SE on many a player. Every single class has some way to get out of it and not take the damage. Some can dodge, some can block, some can mitigate. I have seen every class in the game avoid or shrug SE off. Yes, It's harder for SW and GWF, but they can get out of it. Not having played either of those classes in pvp I personally don't know how they do it, but I know they do, without immortality buffs from other players.
  • Options
    Unfortunately you are wrong, unless GWF uses specific encounters that grants them temporary immunity frame, there is no practical way for GWF/SW to dodge/avoid SE hits, again, its 100% Hit, 100% Crit and is Piercing damage, just like whats shown in the above video. Ask your GWF/SW friends/guildies, they would tell you the same.

OK, as I said, I play a TR in pvp. I have dropped SE on many a player. Every single class has some way to get out of it and not take the damage. Some can dodge, some can block, some can mitigate. I have seen every class in the game avoid or shrug SE off. Yes, It's harder for SW and GWF, but they can get out of it. Not having played either of those classes in pvp I personally don't know how they do it, but I know they do, without immortality buffs from other players.

• Options
    kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    icyphish wrote: »
    Few days ago I was beating on Morkel (some TR), and he accused me of using exploits because he said I attacked him when I was in smoke bomb (if I could attack I wouldn't be jumping away from the bomb....obviously, unless I am in unstoppable...) So after he flamed me for 10 minutes and chosen to ignore me....
    That guy is a complete putz... A perfect example of a dumb raging PvPer. Seriously, he is worthless. :)

Mind you, I'm not saying PvPers in general are bad, not at all! He, however, is one bad egg... lol

va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2015

"mitigating" is not "getting out of it", and the DR-ignoring feature of the power makes even "mitigating" impossible. It's not "hard" for a SW and GWF. It's impossible. Stop trying to make excuses for things which the community, and even TR players, have already concluded and admitted it as being a problem.

• Options
    pzg33pzg33 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    find this game so badly made in pvp. almost nothing makes sense. did the decs check out?
  • Options
    pzg33pzg33 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    also the fact that im called a CONTROL wizard and they (and gf to some degree) are 95% imuune to every i can do....its just bad/lazy games design, with little or no thought or care.
  • Options
    castethcasteth Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    again.. a post about supposed immortal paladin..

so, lets go for it, again
    I'm paladin, my gs is 3,6k at moment, means im not the noobest one

To be clear : 1 vs 1, only few cw can kill me, no one else ( excepting maybe WK tr ) ( and when i say they can, it means they can, like they can die also.)
    And its great like that, im not supposed to be cleared on 1 vs 1, this is what a tank is.

Then, who can kill me? :

Hr + cw/gwf/Gf/Hr (maybe with a tr, but i'm not sure)
    Cw + cw/gwf/Gf/Hr/tr/sw

OP and Dc cannot kill me, on 2 vs 1

Any class with dot can also kill me if i have aura of courage on ( because of an explo..bug )

Im talking about people with same kind of gs, if you are too undergeared, sorry, you will not kill me ( and as are Dc )

Paladin, even the stronger, arent immortal, anyone who would say something else are wrong, or are lier

Now subject was about how to counter a paladin ( so, not how to KILL a paladin )

Easy, troll him, i will say it again and again, if you are 1 vs 1 paladin, don't try to kill him, just stay alive on the node and contest it ( best way is to send a dc or another op )
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    ...meaning essentially, due to how its mechanics work, (which is about the same with the DC as well, but to a lesser extent), the paladin helps makte PvP so much "better".

When a paladin stands on a node, send another "immortal" class to troll it. Sounds good. So we play a Player vs Player match, by sending a Player that doesn't "versus" the other Player, and vice versa, because the time/effort/manpower/frustration factor required to bring it down is so high that the only alternative is to just ignore it.

Yes. What truly marvelous and fantastic way to PvP. The drama. The blood and gore. The excitement of seeing two holy warriors sitting on the node, talking things over in a nice little teaparty.

Paladins are such wonderful additions to PvP with so many good influences to the game. Truly. :neutral: Just as the "immortal" node-trolling TRs are. I can't imagine why anyone would complain about permastealth.
  • Options
    I dont know what gives ppl the idea that DC/OP should be unkillable in 1 vs 1...... if this is the right design, then all other MMOs must have failed.....

• Options
    shillaenshillaen Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    yea,,..please NERF pally's tankiness.....oh please....

but give BACK our DJ........BooooommmMM youre history....:P
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    shillaen wrote: »
    yea,,..please NERF pally's tankiness.....oh please....

but give BACK our DJ........BooooommmMM youre history....:P
    I will trade 66% DR for +66% dmg and +66% DJ. The pally will be the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> dps class ever :)
    P.S. I guest you know why I'm using 66%...
  • Options
    neoxyphusneoxyphus Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    When I see an OP I usually just avoid until teammate comes around. That daily hurts if they are well geared. They take too long to kill solo and it's a huge waste of time so I usually just move to another node.
    Casamir
    3K IL WK Sabo TR
    Trying to suck less @ pvp near you
  • Options
    burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    neoxyphus wrote: »
    When I see an OP I usually just avoid until teammate comes around. That daily hurts if they are well geared. They take too long to kill solo and it's a huge waste of time so I usually just move to another node.

hurts, lol, i think max ive done is like 30k, on a debuffed and badly geared opponent, its usually 14k so i dont even waste daily slot on it unless im fighting badly geared ppl, ive hit as low as some 3k lol
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    andikttnandikttn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 52 Arc User
    Stuns are your best friend. I usually run break the spirit on them, and let a damage dealer do the rest.
    51zWV8f.png
    ńèЪùŁâ 70 acDC
    Nubula, Scrubula, Nutella, Ebola