What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Swiss Army Ranger: a versatile Trapper build for Mod6 PVE

query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
edited June 2015 in The Wilds
The Toys;

Gear: Elemental Elven Assault Bracers and Coat
Elemental Alliance Raid Hood and Gaiters

This is a vorpal/ Crit build. The Elven raid all has useless recovery. The assault Hood and Gaiters both reduce crit. There is some argument for Elven Assault Gaiters as they lower Crit 2% but raise base damage 2%. Personally I was over 60% ArPen so the stat improvement was fairly marginal (trade useless recovery for useless ArPen, trade crit for power and a little extra HP)

Elemental Fire Bow and Blades (as if there were an alternative) AoS on the blades, nobody cares on the MH.
2x personalized Adamant Ring of Piercing
Lostmauth Hoard Necklace
Greater Belt of Wisdom (Lost set is not as good for HR and 4% Crit is 4% Crit. Sure more useless recovery)
Exquisite Elemental Shirt and Pants

Pets: Augment, Full Loyal Avengers.
Fire Archon
Dancing Blade
Repentant Dragon Cultist
Eyerienes of Belial

Enchantments: PVorp, Soul or Neg, Brutal/ Azure in offense slots. Crit north of 50% Radiant/ Savage/ Dark in Defensive slots. LifeSteal is not in fact useless I will get into that later in Playstyle/ Feats. Get it north of 10%, 15% max, Then HP.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The Points;
    Ability Scores: Dex and Wis.
    Race ½ Orc for movement and crit.

Paragon: StormWarden
    Feats:Weapon Mastery, Toughness, Agile Combatant, Endless Assault, Lucky Skirmisher, Nature’s Enhancement.
    Combat: Bloodletting
    Trapper: Fleet Stance, Deft Strikes, Forrest Bond, Swiftness of the Fox, Ancient Roots, Thorned Roots, Serpent’s Bite, Biting Snares

Class features: Aspect of the Serpent, Aspect of the Pack, Aspect of the Lone Wolf, Crushing Roots, Twin-Blade Storm.

At-Wills: What are At-Wills? Rapid Shot, Split Shot, Electric Shot.
    Encounters: Constricting Arrow, Cordon of Arrows, Fox, Hindering Shot
    Dailies: Seismic Shot, Disruptive Shot, Forest Ghost.

Boons:
    Sharandar: Fey Hunter, Fey Precision, Feywild Fortitude, Elven Ferocity, Fey Thistle
    Dread Ring: Conjurer’s Gambit, Evoker’s Thirst, Illusion Shimmer, Shadow Touch, Rampaging madness.
    IWD: Encroaching Tactics, Refreshing Chill, Sleet Skills, Cold Shoulder, Rousing warmth.
    ToD: Dragon Heart, Dragon Gaze, Dragonscale Defense, Dragon’s Greed, One point each Fury, revival, and Thirst.
    edited June 2015
    How it works;

Playstyle: I like to be adaptable and be able to change my role depending on the party’s needs. Standard Bread-and-Butter kit is Constricting, Cordon, Fox. Max DPS is Aspect of the Serpent and Twin-Blade Storm. You will want to open with Cordon and finish with Fox. Fox does not benefit from AoS and will (due to party) max your Melle AoS when you switch stance. Then naturally you want to open with Plant Growth (at max stacks) and close again with Fox because it will ensure full stacks for ranged stance. If you are taking too much damage you can sub AoLW for durability. If you want to max party damage you can swap in AoP. But it is not always a DPS race.

Mostly from running T2 with atypical party compositions I transition to a stun-lock control build. Here you want Crushing Roots. You may also want to put in Hindering for even more roots. At maximum control you want Disruptive, Hindering, Constricting, and fox (nothing beats a free dodge) this nerfs your DPS to pitiful. But is useful if for instance you are the only Controller on a boss fight and you just want to Stun-lock mobs until a pure-DPS can murder them.

A note on Fox-play and cooldowns: Fox’s cunning in a 5 man group fairly well re-stocks your melee cooldowns and stacks of Serpent. This can be used in 2 ways. One for maximising party defense you can simply rotate back and forth using only Fox in ranged stance, Followed by a full rotation in Melee, and just repeat endlessly. You and your party will dodge an incredible number of hits this way (again this does sacrifice DPS). Additionally given the current state of cooldowns on Cordon/ Hindering By selecting points in the engagement (usually when you are down to one or two mobs) you can skip Cordon in your rotation and let the stacks build back up for when you will have the maximum number of targets to use it on. Since you have to wait on the counter regardless might as well hit as many things as possible with it.

A note on Melee. Due to feats your LifeSteal and Deflect are highest in melee stance. As noted above you will spend more time in melee as you become more defensive. This makes it a recovery phase. Note also that the increased lifesteal also affects the ticks you are getting from the ranged rotation you used before switching stances. This means that at LS 10-15% you are 15-20% in melee stance. Note also that when Rampaging madness procs it adds 4000 LS or another 10% so 20-25% ranged and 25-30% melee if you are paying attention to your stacks of madness.

A note on dailies and AoS. Forest Ghost attacks count as melee attacks for purposes of AoS stacks. Seismic and Disrupting count as ranged attacks. This happens regardless of stance. Which means that using Ghost in ranged stance maintains Serpent stacks and using Seismic/ Disruptive in melee gives a stack of melee as well.

General play: Never stop using AWSD. Dodge red of course but you will be randomly drawing aggro and cannot watch every attack animation all the time. If you keep moving you get hit less. Patience helps with Cordon. If you have a tank drawing aggro waiting a second or two to drop Cordon on top of grouped mobs increases the number of targets and hence the amount of damage you do. tap them in place with Constricting and then use your melee AOEs to close the deal. Steel Breeze and Plant Growth both have a 20’ range so you can often stand outside the range of your rooted grouped mobs and still hit them with melee. Fox moves you around and can be used to dodge out of bad situations. Fleet stance means that tapping Tab while moving from fight to fight allows you to keep up with spring and the superior dodge of other classes.
    edited June 2015
    What next;

Greater Belt:. I have not done this yet. Greater Wisdom will maintain +4% crit and apply +2% base damage, +1% DR, and +1% recovery I cannot use. Greater Dexterity will Give +4% base damage then another +2% from power. But only +1% crit (losing 3%) and +1% ArPen that I could use in PVP but do not need in PVE. My crit severity with PVorp is about 150% so 150% of 4% base is 6% more powerfull crits that are 3% less likely to occur. So I am inclined at this point to move to Dex when I eventually upgrade belts. Likely I will have upgraded enough azures at that point that my crit chance will still be high enough. None of the split-stat belts have stats that are very useful for HRs.

Armor Kits: I am kinda of torn here. You can get 800 points or 2% to a stat from 4 kits. Or 3200 HP which means slightly more than a R12 in one slot. I am thinking Crit or LS. Honestly I am considering that full major crits will offset the crit lost by swapping in Elemental Elven Assault Gaiters for a net gain in power and HP. Then just continue to upgrade enchants.
  • ralexinorralexinor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 576 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    query523 wrote: »
    Feats:Weapon Mastery, Toughness, Agile Combatant, Endless Assault, Lucky Skirmisher, Nature’s Enhancement.

Don't meant to be an *** here, but...
    Nature’s Enhancement.
    Nature’s Enhancement.

Sorry, but lol, just lol. That's 5% deflect severity, not deflect.

Also Lostmauth set is approximately 10-15% DPS in a dungeon, worth way more than 4% crit chance. Also regarding some of your pieces, I dislike using the full 135/137 gear, I find the stats on it suck.

Right now, I'm using Elemental Alliance Raid Helm, Purified Black Ice chest, Elemental Alliance Raid Bracers and Elemental Elven Assault Gaiters. Would like to swap the boots for something else but I can't find anything with decent stats.

Running full Brutals/Savages for off/def since I'm PvP, but that's my PvE gear setup + stone which has a pretty standard setup.

You could go for more HP but most of the time I die if I get focused by mobs, so I don't find it as an issue. I think as long as you have around 100k HP, it's fine.
    edited June 2015
    Not sure how that ended uppn there. It's not on my sheet. Likely just up late switching between character and forum and wrote down the wrong thing. Looks from gear like you went power over crit. I prefer crit. Full brutal and Savage would be optimal but not in my budget. I have other toons to keep in gear;) As to Lost. I could do it. But then I'd have invested a lot of time and RP into gear that is destined for the nerf bat. They bleed us enough on arti already I'm not going to make that investment in gear that won't be much good when that happens. We agree on the HP. More than that won't save you from the stuff that will kill you with less. Not having all Savages More Hp in gear means I have more room in enchants. It's all just pushing points around....