test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

(capped) Companions already earning XP towards mod 6?

azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
edited February 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
I just noticed earlier today on Gateway's SCA that my level capped epic comps are still gaining XP, with one of them having almost three times as much as the others (AKA the Acolyte my GF usually takes with him when adventuring).
When did this start? :eek:
Artificer.jpg
Post edited by azahron on

Comments

• Options
    azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    magenubbie wrote: »
    They always "gain XP" during a SCA (and at invocations as well). But it's not added if they are already maxed out. At least not in the adventure I did before answering you. You sure you're not on the preview gateway?

Nope, I'm definitely on the regular one.
    My level 30 Acolyte has 1.1 million XP, while the other 3 level 30's have some 400k. Which makes sense since they never get to come out and play except during SCA.
    Artificer.jpg
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    They have announced that all *capped* companions will gain a free five levels when Mod 6 launches.

Capped at 20 -> becomes 25
    Capped at 25 -> becomes 30

...and so on. If the companion is not already capped at max level then it will not "automatically gain" five free ranks. Wether or not the "upgrade" cap will move or not is not known at the time (I suspect they will) - meaning that all blues now go to 30 automatically before becoming upgradable to Epic -or- if they still must be upgraded at level 25 to become epic.

I do not believe this aspect of Mod 6 is available or implemented on preview test server just yet - which is why it's still a big question for everyone.
  • Options
    mmm1001mmm1001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    When I copied my char to preview, companions upgraded to lvl 35 for free, and then to lvl 40 with some AD spent. So it is most likely XP is cumulative and it will be used in mod 6.
    Unless this is some preview server "feature" to allow easier check of new companions.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    mmm1001 wrote: »
    When I copied my char to preview, companions upgraded to lvl 35 for free, and then to lvl 40 with some AD spent. So it is most likely XP is cumulative and it will be used in mod 6.
    Unless this is some preview server "feature" to allow easier check of new companions.

Ahah! Thanks for your reply. And I see THAT question is answered. Thank you!
  • Options
    djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    They have been gaining XP(from SCA, leadership, regular quest, invocation)but not leveling since the post-60 reward was introduce, I have companion that has over 2 million xp accumulated this way.
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Great info!
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I do not believe this aspect of Mod 6 is available or implemented on preview test server just yet - which is why it's still a big question for everyone.

It's implemented.

Basically, companions are getting a +5 buff to the max rank they can reach, and companions you had at their XP cap are getting automatically topped off, like the game is assuming you could have fully levelled them already, had you had more levels available. You have to train them yourself though.

This is even true of companions that were put away in your bag, and have never been used in SCA. It's independent of the behind-the-scenes XP accumulation that you see in play if you buy an upgrade. The only glitchy aspect is that common companions are currently getting an XP bump up to about 19.75, not the full 20 they can reach.

The biggest benefit for everyone is getting the final gear slot unlock on all uncommon companions, without having to buy an upgrade. That's a very nice perk.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    It's implemented.

Basically, companions are getting a +5 buff to the max rank they can reach, and companions you had at their XP cap are getting automatically topped off, like the game is assuming you could have fully levelled them already, had you had more levels available. You have to train them yourself though.

This is even true of companions that were put away in your bag, and have never been used in SCA. It's independent of the behind-the-scenes XP accumulation that you see in play if you buy an upgrade. The only glitchy aspect is that common companions are currently getting an XP bump up to about 19.75, not the full 20 they can reach.

The biggest benefit for everyone is getting the final gear slot unlock on all uncommon companions, without having to buy an upgrade. That's a very nice perk.

So they're not getting any new slots?
    Artificer.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I don't understand your question.

As far as I can tell, nobody is getting new companion slots (like a 6th active), and not a word has been said about raising the cap for buying idle slots either.

No companions are getting more gear or rune slots, but the uncommon which capped at 20 will now cap at 25, which means the gear slot that was locked without buying an upgrade will now unlock.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    edited February 2015
    I don't understand your question.

As far as I can tell, nobody is getting new companion slots (like a 6th active), and not a word has been said about raising the cap for buying idle slots either.

No companions are getting more gear or rune slots, but the uncommon which capped at 20 will now cap at 25, which means the gear slot that was locked without buying an upgrade will now unlock.

I meant a 4th Rune & Gear slot, although more companion slots (Active and Idle) would've been nice too.
    Artificer.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2015

THIS.
    THIS is the biggest of all the benefits of the 5-rank boost.
  • Options
    blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited February 2015

How much AD was "some"? Just been wondering how much it will cost to upgrade a currently epic to legendary
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Reportedly 1m AD.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    omg... I was afraid of that.
  • Options
    mechomancermechomancer Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Reportedly 1m AD.

Screenshots of companion upgrade tasks:
    Common to Uncommon
    companion%2Bpreview%2B4.jpg

Uncommon to Rare
    companion%2Bpreview%2B3.jpg

Rare to Epic
    companion%2Bpreview%2B2.jpg

Epic to Legendary
    companion%2Bpreview%2B1.jpg

=RV=
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Really doesn't seem worth the extra cost to me...
    No new item or runestone slots, 1% more rating bonus compared to an Epic... almost certainly no new skins for the companion, and I'm going to guess that it means no new powers either.

Yet it's by far the most expensive upgrade, and you only get some measly stats in return. And maybe a new SCA dice. (Which would mean you're effectively screwed if you don't upgrade and they add rank 7 adventures or the like)
    Looks highly disappointing so far.
    Artificer.jpg