test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dragon is not a game by Milton Bradley...

query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
edited November 2014 in PvE Discussion
Spinning it like a top does not grant points nor enhance gameplay. If you are a tank I don't have the words. I hate people who say L2P but here it really applies. Use the forums, practice holding aggro and surviving somewhere else and come back when you are ready. I realize that the rushed, zergy manner in which these new dragons are farmed means that someone squishy dropped a lot of DPS and got way ahead of the threat meter. There is a simple proceedure to not make this turn you into a danger to everyone else in the fight. Look down, on your keyboard is both an S and a D key. Whichever one you used to dodge the last time, use the other one the next time. This simple proceedure means that the rest of us can stay at 90 degrees of the dragon without getting suddenly tail-swiped.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    These types of posts seem to put the burden wholly on the tanks - unless everyone else is buffing said tank to the point where they can just stand there like others want, I do not want to hear any complaints; Throw a dedicated healer on that tank, and maybe we'll talk. If it's "every man for himself", and even clerics are just focusing on DPS-ing the dragon, then said tank doesn't owe anyone anything...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    While I appreciate that sentiment bio my #2 is my GF. She does not need a healer to keep her alive dragon tanking and to their credit when I see this spinning there generally is no tank. I can tell because the dragon is not marked. That's why I tried to explain how a non-tank can deal with aggro without spinning. Simply alter your dodge directions. Often enough I am the ranged DPs that grabbed aggro and this is precisely what I do for the good of those around me. Naturally when I can get a party up at quarter till there is more coordination and this is not an issue. But often enough you are simply joining an instance so having this general information available is helpful in that context.
  • midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    These types of posts seem to put the burden wholly on the tanks - unless everyone else is buffing said tank to the point where they can just stand there like others want, I do not want to hear any complaints; Throw a dedicated healer on that tank, and maybe we'll talk. If it's "every man for himself", and even clerics are just focusing on DPS-ing the dragon, then said tank doesn't owe anyone anything...

Its called slightly stepping left, then slightly stepping right so that the dragon faces the same direction for the entire fight. Rinse and repeat. For any enemy that only attacks in cones and/or a straight line for their big hits, that's literally all that needs to be done if you have aggro. Even for enemies that have their big hits surrounding them, just run straight backwards and then run straight forward back into their face.

This isn't rocket science people :(.
  • gerbilhurdlergerbilhurdler Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 418 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2014
    I have no problem circling the dragon and staying away from his tail and getting off my encounters.
    Stop being lazy and circle the dragon. This isn't some boss fight where you need a strategy, and it only lasts a minute or two at most.
    That being said if i get aggro i hang right in front of him and only move out of the way for the breath weapon a foot or two because I'm lazy and don't like to move that much ;)
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Oh, I've seen it all. From a ranger equipped with a greater bronzewood, doing the best rapid circle strafing I've ever seen. As if Rangers need extra agro, why equip an ability that marks targets and competes with the tanks?

I've seen tanks, fight others tanks for agro, while standing on opposing sides. The dragon was locked down, GF was face taking it well for a good minute or two. Two GWFs joined in, so all the melee was on one side. Clerics were dropping rings to support the melee. And then there was this one GF, all alone in on the back side, marking away and fighting for agro, completely oblivious to everything else.

Honestly, I think at this point, its bored players looking to troll. They must have some score card they check, every time a silly lizard tail murders another player.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm not trying to say that making the dragon spin around is good or ideal - What I'm talking about is the general sentiment that this type of issue is 100% on the tank. Sure, a well geared and experienced tank *may* be able to tank the dragon without any outside support, but with the unfortunate mentality of everyone being in the fights for themselves, it makes less sense to take other people's well being into account.

Again, I'm not saying that this is how it should be, or that this is the type of behavior I want to see - Just that the design of these encounters leads to selfish play.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited November 2014
    I don't think we disagree here. I'mjust giving an idea of what good practices are given the design. Much as when HR came out and some did not realize that grabbing aggro with split then string out the mobs is a pain for the rest of the group. Although I don't feel you need to be a particularilly good tank for these dragons. ESoT was harder to tank without support IMHO.
  • darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    This isn't a question of expecting GFs to tank without support, this is just dealing with aggro without running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

I "tank" the dragons all the time, especially on my templock, if there isn't a good GF marking and keeping aggro. I guess the combination of healing and damage gets their attention. I pride myself on keeping the dragon as still as possible.

As query says, all you need to do is strafe right and left; occasionally move in or out, if it drops a circle on you. Of course, it's easier to move just a little way with the SW shadow sprint - if you're dodging on a CW you'll move its head a bit more - just remember to dodge back the other way next time.

And sure everyone else should pay attention and move away from the tail swipe - but if the dragon stays still everyone can spend more time dpsing and less time dodging.
  • pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well if it is a dragon zerg with 20-30 people, then proper tanking procedure doesn't matter. The dragon is dead is under 30 seconds.

But let's suppose it's only 5 people or so attacking a dragon. Suppose I'm tanking the dragon on my CW (because there is no GF around, or no one else around that can take the threat away from me) and let's suppose further that it's the green dragon.

Well, the green dragon emits its cone AOE attack of acid breath. I of course want to dodge this, so I'll dodge to the... left.

Then the dragon emits its circular AOE acid attack. I can't dodge to the right because there is still the acid cone left behind. So I will dodge to the... left.

Then the dragon does a wing flap. I can't dodge backwards, because then I will be out of range. And I can't dodge to the right because there is this giant persistent circular pool of acid there. So I will dodge to the... left.

So you see how this is going. I don't really WANT to spin the dragon in circles, but you tell me what I ought to do instead. Stand in a pool of acid? With my cloth robes and lacking a shield? I have pretty good lifesteal, but not THAT good.
  • sprawlfxsprawlfx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I do not make the dragons circle, no matter which class I am playing.. and I play multiples of them all.

However.. Aggro switches quickly. One moment it is targeting me and the next some dude 40 feet behind me or over in left field.

I am sure there are fools who move like you describe.. but the dragons attacks move whoever is facetanking him. I am constantly being moved counter clockwise by dragons, and I can press A till the cows come home and not make a bit of difference.

I learned early on to run straight out on most chars.. my GFs can't run (for some ridiculous reason) unless ItF. They don't ever need to anyway. These dragons are laughable. Some of them have an attack that will kill a lot of players in one shot. Recognize and avoid it. It isn't that hard.

So, anyway.. I am just saying that a player's perceptions of what another player is doing and why is rarely accurate. And that... seriously.. I could care less on any class I am playing what the dragon does. I am going to do what needs done and finish the job. If someone wants to challenge the thing to a break dancing contest, I know what I need to do. So turn circles, do whatever you want. Avoid turning circles if you'd like to be considerate to your fellow players.. Or don't if you want to be a dumbass/dirtbag. I don't care. I got used to both types early on, and know how to deal with it.

(It is really sad that the dragons in this game are such a joke.)
    edited November 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    So you see how this is going. I don't really WANT to spin the dragon in circles, but you tell me what I ought to do instead. Stand in a pool of acid? With my cloth robes and lacking a shield? I have pretty good lifesteal, but not THAT good.

Dodge OUT always, or beyond if you prefer. (But if you have aggro and dodge beyond you just spun the dragon, you evil dark one, you.)

You can always dodge backward. Cone is irrelevant, turn 20 degrees left then dodge back. You are out of circle and out of cone. No sweat.

And if you ever have to RUN left or right with your GF, rebuild your GF, it is broken.
  • fdsakhfduewhfiuffdsakhfduewhfiuf Member Posts: 604 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    If the dragons are defeated in less than 20 seconds, which is more than often the case, who cares if they spin or not?
    edited November 2014
    If the dragons are defeated in less than 20 seconds, which is more than often the case, who cares if they spin or not?

Right? LOL (except I have been in the odd instance where there only three of us. And we might have been strapping young field hands or not, but 20 seconds is not what it took. Hahaha)
  • sexwax45sexwax45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    When i have aggro it happens a lot i try to move both directions but its just not always available as a DPS, and if an AoE is on the ground I'm moving the direction that gets me out of the AoE the fastest. Everyone should know by now that you shouldn't be standing behind the dragon, and if you die you have no one to blame but yourself. When i don't have agro I move where needed so that way i don't get hit either. If you know what your doing you can solo dragons no problem.

All in all everyone just needs to keep them selves alive, if you die you only have yourself to blame because you don't understand how to avoid the damage, sure we would all love to sand in one place the whole fight and DPS but a skilled person can avoid all damage and still do awesome DPS without having to make excuses.
  • urlord283urlord283 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    This is just what I think

The GF is a team "tank" in Team events

Not for every event
  • urlord283urlord283 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    edited November 2014

This said it better

Urlord
  • two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Unfortunately, Heroic Encounters are not cooperative. Players have a better chance of reaching the Great Success threshold if they make things harder for other players. Spinning the dragon may be a rational strategy in these circumstances.
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Also, HEs are not a "team" effort, but based on the loot distribution they are rather "competitive PvE". Once I have the attention of the dragon as a tank, I have all the interest to make the fight last longer, as to take more damage, and come on top of any competitor tank that had taken some damage previously. To obtain this, spinning the dragon around and disrupting other players attacks somehow becomes a bonus.

Sadly, HEs are a great idea, but loot distribution is terrible.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Oh, I've seen it all. From a ranger equipped with a greater bronzewood, doing the best rapid circle strafing I've ever seen. As if Rangers need extra agro, why equip an ability that marks targets and competes with the tanks?

As far as anyone has been able to tell from testing, afaik, the "mark" from Bronzewood only buffs personal damage and does not increase threat in any fashion.

To the rest of the thread, I share your frustrations.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    Then the dragon emits its circular AOE acid attack. I can't dodge to the right because there is still the acid cone left behind. So I will dodge to the... left.

Timing, all in the timing. The old puddle of yuck fades out just in time for you to be safe to get into where it was, while avoiding the new puddle of yuck, provided that you're never allowing dragonface to put a puddle of yuck down in more than about a 30 degree angle, due to carefully dodging left and right.

When you spin the dragon, you end up with yuck all-over-the-freaking-place, and there may well be nowhere safe to stand.

If you are doing this on a squishy class, you really cannot break concentration or let up your DPS, so you do need to be careful, can't stop to rez anyone (sorry!), and try to not go down yourself or someone else will peel aggro off you and it all goes to hell.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited November 2014
    1. 'in a 20 man instance......' In a 20 man instance lag is likely what will kill you you cannot dodge if you cannot move. I usually wait till :44 and move to an instance with 4 people in it.
    2. 'competitive PVE...' well if you are in a low-pop instance (and I cannot be bothered to mess with a high-pop) you kind of want to keep your team alive because you won't get as many dragons killed if you solo them. I soloed one for fun, it takes a little while.
    3. 'As a tank you...' I also run these with my tank. I do not spin or die doing so. I still get good drops.
    4. 'you can't dodge without landing in....' For some attacks you donot even need to dodge, you can walk away from things like breath weapons. just walk in the opposite direction of your last dodge.
    5. 'Sometimes aggro changes....' Yes indeed it does, and this is annoying especially when 2 tanks are in the same instance. Thois does not however spin the tank in a circle constantly turning in the same direction, as does someone only using one direction on a dodge. Having seen and done both I am fairly certain of this.