test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can someone explain the "greed" mentaily?

Comments

• ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    chemboy613 wrote: »
    MY CW probably has 70M + AD worth of items on her, and i'm not done either. I desperately "NEED" AD for resonance stones because my artifact weapon is "only" LV 58, and I don't have a INT belt yet, so let me "need" on that HV helm at the aboleth, because I "need" a higher GS. 18.3k is too weak to solo TOS. I'm so depressed.

i.e.

Screw you guys, i'm going home.

Am I supposed to feel sorry for someone with 70m ADs....?
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    prayostic wrote: »
    Kicking people who clicked NEED on items that they will use defeats the whole NBG process. If you're running a dungeon for loot, that's your deal. If I'm running it for gear, thats mine. You can't be upset if you don't get it. Seriously. And the fact that I can't roll NEED on an item my class can't use is completely ridiculous. What if one of my other characters needs it, but I ran this one cause it was requested? I can't roll NEED on it cause the game prevents it.

So, for all of you upset cause someone in a PUG chose NEED on an item, get wrecked. Those of you upset cause you agreed to choose GREED, and you missed out on that armor drop you really needed, get wrecked. This type of system is in every other MMO ever, and NO OTHER game has this problem. Not by a long shot. You choose NEED on the items you need, GREED on items you don't. It's a very simple system. And you're (and I mean about 90% of the ppl in this game) are using it wrong if you just GREED every single effing thing.

Well other games aren't putting such a huge paywall between the player and his upgrades. Most of the good stuff is in the cash shop. Have you ever seen a completely free, you can loot in-game, companion, with a good active bonus, at blue or purple levels? I don't. I haven't seen any coalescent wards from the 7 days praying box in a year! I haven't gotten any belt drop either and I'm not really a casual. Here is your issue.

If you find the atmosphere quite unhealthy with all this competition over scare resources then I may agree but the ones to blames aren't the players, it's the designers. There isn't much "pLay to win" left in this game. Put some of the good stuff in-game (crazy difficulty works as a way to control the amount of good stuff) and then it may alleviate the pressure on dungeon runs and make the game a bit more friendly and people more relaxed about loot.
  • matiagronxmatiagronx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    vadimt83 wrote: »
    For some reason people expect you to greed on boss loot in dungeons. I find this baffling.
    Lets say the boss drops an item for my class, an item which is better than what I have, which I intend to use, which I NEED. Why would someone expect me to "greed" on it? He/she cant use it and just want to sell it on the AH for, well no better word to say it - greed.
    We play a game. We run dungeons for fun and to get nice new shinny things for our toon. I never cared for any loot I cant use, and I never cared for the AH. I just enjoy the game. why other people can't?

Edit: typos.

If u never cared for AH then u are oblivious to the game itself and you should not complain in the first place because the rest of the people in this game use AH. You make a "play" with the word NEED and you try to support it using selfish arguments. Because u need an item and because game's mechanic gives you the way to selfishly need on it DOESNT make your arguments eligible. Its a broken mechanic and people got around it by agreeing to greed. You are a Ninja whos trying to prove your legitimacy. Get real and use the AH, for sanity's sake...

kabinoles wrote: »
    greed is for greedy ppl,they want something that aint for them
    when I am the leader if something is for you you need it and I passed on it even if it is a purple
    I never use the greed,I pass or need
    you want something for the toon in your garage you run with it or you buy his things in the AH
    forcing ppl to greed because you have a toon in your garage that need the item is a s-hole move,and greed is never good
    what are you teaching the new generation putting greed in a game,nothing good
    thats why most players think that greed is normal

Here is another example of total ignorance of the english language and semantics of the words in the context of the game. Greed as a word may mean smthing bad for you but its the fair option in the context of the game, while need is the selfish/bad option here. Such foolish behaviour can be made a canon by ignorant people. New generation seems to be in good shape and chose to use greed cause it means fairness to all.

This subject is NOT a matter of opinion, its a broken system implemented wrong by cryptic, hopefully most of the people bypass it by greeding and kicking those who act selfish while covered behind cryptic's faults.
  • chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Why does it have to be like that?

Everyone participated in the dungeon relatively equally? Everyone is entitled to a 20% chance at the final loot if they are composed of a group of strangers that will never see each other again.

I was obviously being sarcastic man :D lol
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    ghoulz66 wrote: »
    Am I supposed to feel sorry for someone with 70m ADs....?

No, I think what he meant was, even for someone with 70mil invested in their toon, some people run dungeons for the purposes of earning diamonds to further gear up. Hence, they are not going to do dungeons to be a slave to a random stranger who will feel entitled to need on the final loot
    I was obviously being sarcastic man :D lol

I know you were sort of arguing on the greed side, but some of the tone in this thread is exactly just that so it wasn't really directed at you but rather it is making an argument against those people
  • sangrinesangrine Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Needers:

When you see someone in LFG chat asking for a greed run, add them to your ignore list.
    If you join a party of players who ask you to vote greed,
    start a preemptive vote kick until you get a new player who does not try to force loot rules upon the party.
    Kick greeders as soon as possible. If kick vote fails, try kicking again.
    Remember to add all greeders to your ignore list.
    Don't wait until you are being kicked because then it's too late.

problem solved.
  • rheeparkrheepark Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Ppl who need-roll the gear that drops because they actually need the gear = got carried through the dungeon. Why should you need-roll it when we did all the work?
  • matiagronxmatiagronx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    sangrine wrote: »
    Needers:

Uninstall game

problem solved.

To all selfish needers out there..grow up and be part of the game's society.
    edited October 2014
    Needers:

When you see someone in LFG chat asking for a greed run, add them to your ignore list.
    start a preemptive vote kick until you get a new player who does not try to force loot rules upon the party.

problem solved.

Result of these actions - you get on everyone else's ignore list, people don't run with you. Quit game.
    edited October 2014
    Result of these actions - you get on everyone else's ignore list, people don't run with you. Quit game.

You misunderstood.
    You ignore them, before they ignore you.
    Greeders and needers cant play together in harmony.
    Better they play separately.
  • rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I understand both sides of the argument.

All I can add, and its been mentioned repeatedly here in this thread; COMMUNICATION at the beginning of the run. It solves this dilemma unless you have a ninja or kickers, and those people should be blacklisted.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • chrcorechrcore Member Posts: 329 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    matiagronx wrote: »
    To all selfish needers out there..grow up and be part of the game's society.

Yeah we all want to be your <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and help you gear up since that is clearly our goal when playing this game. Why not stand around in PE asking for handouts?
  • gerbilhurdlergerbilhurdler Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 418 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    Needers:

Your time is more important than the other 4 guys in your group.
    Be greedy and hit NEED so only you can get that item that the rest of the team helped you to get.
    Be aware that some people may disagree with you and try to kick you from the group, don't be discouraged by these people that think they deserve as much loot as you.

problem solved.

Needers are the greedy ones. No ifs ands or buts about it.
    You can't grab the gear for yourself and then call other people greedy.
    Well you can, but nobody on these forums will fall for that ridiculous logic.
    Though it does provide some comic relief reading "Everyone that wants a fair chance at the loot and won't let me just have it is greedy." posts.
  • chrcorechrcore Member Posts: 329 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    rheepark wrote: »
    Ppl who need-roll the gear that drops because they actually need the gear = got carried through the dungeon. Why should you need-roll it when we did all the work?

THIS.

You guys should be glad some 15K folks carried you through and at least got you a chance on the final chest. That's not good enough? You want a free handout on the boss drop too?
  • vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    rheepark wrote: »
    Was going to add this^

Most of the pugs in ToS can't kill a final boss without guardian fighter. Then why should a guardian fighter bother carrying their poor bums?
    OOOOH of course all guardian fighters are just servitors and buff bots and have no right for a great loot roll. Who cares about their scrubish needs...

NO, all ninjas GET THE HELL OUT OF MY PLANE!

P.S I am a SW, my equipment drops is the most expensive atm and I don't mind pressing Greed on it first every time I see it. Even if the party totally made me mad at some point...
    edited October 2014
    You misunderstood.
    You ignore them, before they ignore you.
    Greeders and needers cant play together in harmony.
    Better they play separately.

Point is - most of the needers are noobs, casual players, people playing first toons, etc.

Almost all the veteran players i know strongly prefer all greed.

So this is only going to increase the disconnect between the new population and the experienced population.
    edited October 2014
    Needers:

problem solved.
    edited October 2014
    frishter wrote: »
    Our guild has still been helpful including to alts, but we're not especially keen on accepting newbies. They let the team down and if they are to become skilled, we can teach them skills only for them to find another guild to apply those skills making our time invested in them be wasted. So generally there's not so much for us needing to cater for them.

This is very much true. Also, there hasn't been a lot of new hardcore players being nurtured in the community (possibly because they saw the lack of an endgame) and the just flat-out quit the game with all your efforts being wasted.

So again, why shouldn't you get a fair 20% chance at the final loot?
  • cybercyanidecybercyanide Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 66
    edited October 2014
    Needers:

problem solved.

Go ahead and reiterate your self-centered logic. Fairly certain you already made a majority of players' ignore list. Problem solved.
    edited October 2014
    Go ahead and reiterate your self-centered logic. Fairly certain you already made a majority of players' ignore list. Problem solved.

+1 /10 char
    edited October 2014

We all play for our own enjoyment, which may or may not include enjoying the enjoyment of other players.
    All animals and plants are "self-centered" because nature forces us to be that way.
    I repeated my statement because I am being misquoted.
    edited October 2014
    We all play for our own enjoyment, which may or may not include enjoying the enjoyment of others.
    All animals and plants are "self-centered" because nature forces us to be that way.

Enjoy being on ignore lists then
  • gerbilhurdlergerbilhurdler Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 418 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    We all play for our own enjoyment, which may or may not include enjoying the enjoyment of other players.

Even "needers" admit that it is self centered and "GREEDY" to need in dungeons.
    Do away with it.

+1 for at least being honest.
  • prayosticprayostic Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    chrcore wrote: »
    THIS.

You guys should be glad some 15K folks carried you through and at least got you a chance on the final chest. That's not good enough? You want a free handout on the boss drop too?

Wait, so because we did Valindra's and I hit NEED on the item, because I in fact need it, then I got "carried through"? How the hell does that logic even process with you? So I didn't participate at all to be able to earn my gear?

You people tend to forget that this game DOES see an influx of people all the time. I'm still reletively new to the game, and don't have a single set of the dungeon armors. Yet thanks to friends, I've been able to get a GS high enough to let me run Valindra's. Just cause I barely have the GS to run it, doesn't mean you carried me through the **** thing. Your GS means absolutely squat if you don't know how to play your class. You people need to get over your damned selves. God, this topic makes me so angry that so many people apparently fail at one of the simplest things in the world. It's not a hard system. You're going to get pissed cause I got something I needed and you didn't get something that you needed or could sell? Know what? Get wrecked, nerd.

Lets put all this into perspective a bit, shall we?

Mob A will randomly drop 1 of 7 items, each usable only by a single class. You farm this dungeon over and over and over again trying to get the item. You run it 300 times before it finally drops. Are you SERIOUSLY going to choose GREED? I don't think so. Why are you going to risk the chance that someone else will get it? You're going to hit NEED on that thing soon as it pops up. Does this make you selfish? Hell no. It makes you the guy lucky enough to get his item to drop after 300 tries.

You people need to start using the damned system the way it was meant to be used.
    edited October 2014
    Yeah, if he was right, someone says, gear me up.

I say, ok, I like you. I am going to take my time, which could be spent doing something productive for my character (elol, dailies, etc...) to run something i don't need anymore.

Since you are new, you don't contribute that much, and I carry you. That's fine because I can solo most T2s anyway, but it is still a lot of work and effort on my part.

Then after all that you need on the item, say "thank you" and maybe we don't play together.

So here I did 90% of the work and got 10% of the loot, which is either not worth much or is BOP and what do you know, i'm flooded with RAD.

So not only does this reduce incentive to help people out by running them through dungeons, it's also straight up rude on the needer's part. Do less work, get all loot. GG man. I don't mind helping people, but that level of selfishness is intolerable to me.
  • entrophentroph Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I don't think I've ever seen anyone have to beg for drops if they actually need the upgrade. From personal experience, 95% of the player base is reasonable enough.

It's a convoluted system for sure, but in the end it all evens out. Sell what you don't need, buy what you do. The biggest problem with the 'system,' such that it is, is people whining about it.
  • galahad01galahad01 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I understand both sides of the argument.

All I can add, and its been mentioned repeatedly here in this thread; COMMUNICATION at the beginning of the run. It solves this dilemma unless you have a ninja or kickers, and those people should be blacklisted.

Agree with this comment, I will take it one step further, the intent should be in the LFG not brought up after the fact ( Entry ).

Why? for the simple fact that if I, you, or others spend their time in group and waiting for another to fill the Que that's time wasted you could find another group, then when you get into the dungeon all of a sudden someone gives the loot scheme, which wasn't in the LFG. I can't count the times I joined PUG groups that I only learned the loot scheme after I got in and by then it was too late to try and find another group run, fine for that group they are already in so if I leave makes not problems for them heck they may even be able to 4 man the run who knows.

And then what if you do Greed roll on a purple boss item and someone rolls need then what They get the item anyways even if you do kick them, you think they are going to hand it over after they get it for fear of getting kicked????

And you can suggest to opening a ticket to get it sorted out but TBO that hardly works if at all, and I know this from experience, sure you get the e-mail saying it is being looked into, and because of privacy issues ....Blah...Blah...Blah....

I have been in, and I am in this situation at this very moment, got the e-mail, it been a few days now, haven't got any other replies back saying anything, other then the suggestion to ignore the player ( Oo ) I have seen no recompense for the item that was stolen from me, due to the fact that they need rolled the item while everyone else rolled the specified Greed, and I still see the individual running around in game.

So even submitting tickets don't even help. In defense of support though I will give it a few more days, but it is a pain in the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> to think this person more than likely sold the item anyways, knowing they didn't deserve it.

Cheers!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

" May The Wind be Always At Your Back "
    edited October 2014
    prayostic wrote: »
    Wait, so because we did Valindra's and I hit NEED on the item, because I in fact need it, then I got "carried through"? How the hell does that logic even process with you? So I didn't participate at all to be able to earn my gear?

You people tend to forget that this game DOES see an influx of people all the time. I'm still reletively new to the game, and don't have a single set of the dungeon armors. Yet thanks to friends, I've been able to get a GS high enough to let me run Valindra's. Just cause I barely have the GS to run it, doesn't mean you carried me through the **** thing. Your GS means absolutely squat if you don't know how to play your class. You people need to get over your damned selves. God, this topic makes me so angry that so many people apparently fail at one of the simplest things in the world. It's not a hard system. You're going to get pissed cause I got something I needed and you didn't get something that you needed or could sell? Know what? Get wrecked, nerd.

Lets put all this into perspective a bit, shall we?

Mob A will randomly drop 1 of 7 items, each usable only by a single class. You farm this dungeon over and over and over again trying to get the item. You run it 300 times before it finally drops. Are you SERIOUSLY going to choose GREED? I don't think so. Why are you going to risk the chance that someone else will get it? You're going to hit NEED on that thing soon as it pops up. Does this make you selfish? Hell no. It makes you the guy lucky enough to get his item to drop after 300 tries.

You people need to start using the damned system the way it was meant to be used.

I mentioned an exception for BoP gear, man. If you are farming your chest peice or offhand for valindra, the go ahead and need on it.

And yes, it's not that the new players don't contribute, sometimes they do, but very often it is an unequal and minor share.
  • lordshitpostlordshitpost Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    In my opinion the greed mentality is fine. The reason I think so is that there are next to no useful items to need on.

The only items that come to my mind are stuff like "Armor of Insanity", "Braced Troll Warhammer" or "Berserkers Sword Knot". These items however are for fresh 60 chararcters and they are cheaper at the AH than the salvage offers you.

Therefore noone ever needs to farm these specific dungeons in order to get them. Even if a new tank gets his Armor of Insanity in SP, he could salvage it and buy it cheaper from the AH. It's just not a thing.

Valindra and Malabog don't drop anything useful at all. Fragments and offhands are free to Need imo. Every PUG I ran with lately agreed with it.

No new player has a benefit from the drops. It doesn't matter, if an item is useful for you. Somewhen you will receive something you can salvage or sell. If not, Seals of the Drake exist, too.

I wouldn't like to talk about CN. It's the parties choice what they do. We as a guild have a loot system, which decides, who gets the loot and all our members are free to declare "Need" in case they want to. That's us though.
  • bloodyhell69bloodyhell69 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I totally agree with an "all greed" run... The why is simple, everyone has the same chance on everything. personally my guild is an all greed group if its a full guild party. simply because if its a guild run almost all epics go to the guild bank to help players who actually do need the gears.

But really lets think about it logically. If say I'm on my SW in one of these groups where everyone else is needing on class items. So we get to the last boss and poof drops SW armor that sells for 1M AD and im wearing the same armor..... Wouldn't u be a lil peeved that I roll need on that item....

Seriously I look at it this way, if someone says "hey looking for one more to do a T2 greed run" and u don't like greed find another group and stop complaining about it.... simple fix for what is honestly a wasted argument about how others play the game... Find what works for YOU and do it...

Wicked Vendetta, currently accepting new members ;) always willing to help.
This discussion has been closed.