test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Back to Pre-Tenacity

abecassisabecassis Member Posts: 255 Bounty Hunter
edited September 2014 in PvE Discussion
Well we are currently back to pre-tenacity patch. Its either kill or get killed in one rotation.
I remember specifically that this was the whole point of introducing tenacity, that players would have time to react if ambushed by an opposing player.

My suggestion is make tenacity 50% stronger or even a 100% then it is now. Because as of today, it really dosent make much difference since players are so powerful now.
Dr. Phil
Post edited by abecassis on

Comments

• ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    abecassis wrote: »
    Well we are currently back to pre-tenacity patch. Its either kill or get killed in one rotation.
    I remember specifically that this was the whole point of introducing tenacity, that players would have time to react if ambushed by an opposing player.

My suggestion is make tenacity 50% stronger or even a 100% then it is now. Because as of today, it really dosent make much difference since players are so powerful now.

I agree with some of this. We ARE back to Pre-Tenacity.

I dont just want to increase tenacity because of the DR, as well as critical strike damage becoming OVERlY nerfed.

What I think SHOULD happen though is maybe give everyone a BASE of: 20% PVP damage resist (up from 10%) and keep the REST of the formula as is: meaning 10% base CC and 10% less crit. Then tenacity can boost ontop of that again a 2:1:1 rate meaning currently 10% tenacity means ANOTHER 20% less damage 10% less CC and 10% less crit.

So rather than flat out increasing tenacity etc, this would be a 20% decrease in PVP damage.

My only fear is that it makes tenacity a MUCH more required stat - making gear MUCH more limiting.

So my proposal would THEN be to:

Create Armor reinforcement kits that are +100 Tenacity! (IMO the Chest /reinforcement kits should get double the effect) This would free BACK up more armor options and maybe even allow PVE armors to be used in PVP.

Then your issue is damage that bypasses DR becomes THAT much better (HR blades and CW) so that may need addressng.

OVERALL: Completely agree we are back to Pre-Tenacity PVP with players dealing MASSIVE damage.
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I suggest abandoning PvP altogether as it is currently completely broken.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • abecassisabecassis Member Posts: 255 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    ayroux wrote: »
    I agree with some of this. We ARE back to Pre-Tenacity.

I dont just want to increase tenacity because of the DR, as well as critical strike damage becoming OVERlY nerfed.

What I think SHOULD happen though is maybe give everyone a BASE of: 20% PVP damage resist (up from 10%) and keep the REST of the formula as is: meaning 10% base CC and 10% less crit. Then tenacity can boost ontop of that again a 2:1:1 rate meaning currently 10% tenacity means ANOTHER 20% less damage 10% less CC and 10% less crit.

So rather than flat out increasing tenacity etc, this would be a 20% decrease in PVP damage.

My only fear is that it makes tenacity a MUCH more required stat - making gear MUCH more limiting.

So my proposal would THEN be to:

Create Armor reinforcement kits that are +100 Tenacity! (IMO the Chest /reinforcement kits should get double the effect) This would free BACK up more armor options and maybe even allow PVE armors to be used in PVP.

Then your issue is damage that bypasses DR becomes THAT much better (HR blades and CW) so that may need addressng.

OVERALL: Completely agree we are back to Pre-Tenacity PVP with players dealing MASSIVE damage.

Well i totally agree with you. I just suggested an easy fix.

Because to be honest, right after tenacity patch before MOD 3, was the most balanced PvP ever was. Then mod3 came and they screwed it up, and now even more with mod4, people die with one rotation again. So i kinda hope we go back to that balance we had for a month or so. It was great =D
    Dr. Phil
  • biibiisaibiibiisai Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Looks like the tenacity patch only f'ed up the DC - dps damage is still massive but DC healing is halved.
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Tenacity was a bad idea anyway
  • abecassisabecassis Member Posts: 255 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    aulduron wrote: »

Tenacity was the best idea ever. And it was totally needed for PvP. The problem now is that players are too powerful for tenacity to make any noticeable difference. If you played PvP the month after it was released, before mod3 came out. PvP was at its peak imo.
    Dr. Phil
    edited September 2014
    Tenacity was the best idea ever. And it was totally needed for PvP. The problem now is that players are too powerful for tenacity to make any noticeable difference. If you played PvP the month after it was released, before mod3 came out. PvP was at its peak imo.

Well id have SOME exception to that, id probably say pre-mod 1 was the best its ever been because of build options and no power creep (with yet again the exception of tenebrous) but overall I didnt MIND Tenacity,

Oh and I also realized doing the above tenacity fix would make HRs unkillable, so obv self healing would need a re-do there.

DCs and TRs are getting some love next mod so i will wait on their "needs"
  • doriangreighdoriangreigh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 707 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    yeah take a sorry mechanic and make it even worse ... tenancity should never have started. the only things that would level the pvp playing field are making queues grouped by GS (i easily can see people sand bagging or swapping gear to abuse that) and putting a level cap on enchantments (which only works for low level pvp) or flat disable enchantments so that the effects of enchants don't contribute to the battle, basically treating enchants like companions they just don't work during a pvp match. Neither of these will help the open world pvp but I don't think people compete in IWD anymore cept to get campaign completion or dailies.

probably the single best solution would be to go the GS grouping so similar equipped players are facing off against each other ... however as I recall there aren't enough PVP players to keep the queues up for that kind of separation ... I think that it has also been shown that the pvp community isn't the primary drive behind the game its the PVE players and so complaints on PVP need to just stop since you will NEVER EVER get balance in a PVE based game.
  • plaviaplavia Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I play DC
    pre tenacity was much more balanced

first they decide DC cant kill, its legit, this class is not a killer to begin with
    then they decide DC cant heal, again reasonable decision. why not cut all DC powers and stat by half so PVP will be more balanced
    then they decide DC cant survive well... looking at the previous 2 decisions, I guess its probably for the best. who need class that cant kill or heal
    at this module they decide DC cant move, I admit I didn't paly lot of PVP to decide if its good decision or not. but somehow its feel tiny little little little bit bad
    again I am not saying its over or under power

let me give you a small example:
    when PVP start, near the fire. its all ok. DC can tell stories almost like any other class
    but when you go down the ramp , meet a CW for example and die after 3 sec without moving. somewhere in between those 3 sec its feel bad
    again, not saying over or under power, just bad feeling. feel abit disabled to be exact

and as long they don't allow doctors to prescribe medical herbs for virtual Disable Clerircs I don't see any reason to play PVP
  • joncansjoncans Member Posts: 158 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    What do you people want? Pre tenacity I was one shotting people for 30+k with the Timeless Hero set due to the crit stacks as a GF. Post tenacity now I can sometimes one rotation them, but it burns all my encounters.

I like tenacity. You can't buy PVP gear off the AH, it's the only gear set you truly have to earn and grind out due to the 2 Seal a day caps. I think PVP, PVE gear should remain separate and tenacity is the only stat that makes this possible.

If you are getting one shot in PVP these days I suggest you get a Vanguard Banner, and stack Radiants in Defense slots. It's what I did and now with Fey of Heroism pot I can PVP with 50k HP. Imagine when I have legend Vanguard+BI 2 piece+Profound Conq 2 piece+epic Consititution belt. I should be pushing close to 60k HP then. =)
    BladeRunner-Proud member of the BlackCloaks.
    edited September 2014
    making queues grouped by GS
    A much better idea of grouping PVP into brackets of ELO rating is a MUCH better system that cant be abused.

This would also eliminate the issue of enough players since it would be based on a range of players. Meaning the top 33% of the ELO players are in their own Q, the mid 33% of players are in their own Q etc. It would be pretty easy to do this, run a program that just updates every night, that sets the Ques for the next day (when the quests reset) etc.
    complaints on PVP need to just stop since you will NEVER EVER get balance in a PVE based game.
    I dont actually agree with this, "balance" issues are just MORE apparent in a PVP based game, however balance is also a struggle for PVE games as well - reference status of CWs in PVE since launch.

What games typically do to help balance PVP is introduce either a public stat or hidden mechanic to reduce player on player damage. Some games like NW have a "tenacity" stat, other games (PoE for example) just did a flat damage reduction of (I think) 30%.

So thats actually a good way to balance. The issues come in when you have poorly designed classes that have balance issues in BOTH PVE and PVP, then you DONT listen to veteran players but try to balance issues based on DEVs experience. A good example of this is the current CW "DoT" issue. Where over 50% of their damage comes from a proc chance damage...

if you want a balanced game, you need players who have the ability to give direct feedback to DEVs.
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    aulduron wrote: »

Yes. Just leave pvp alone, everytime someone has a bright idea to fix it, they break it more. Fast and deadly. Gear up, or don't expect to win all the time. Simple as that.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    No, Tenacity was needed, no question about it.

It also works just fine.

What is needed is a look at things that "one shot" players or do excessive DPS. Such as Storm Spell, Piercing Blade, IBS, TR dailies, Ice Knife, and how they scale in different conditions. Especially broken are those skills that always hit/pierce DR/do not require skill to land.

No huge, radical changes (such as last patch for example...) though, PLEASE. We are no lab rats.
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited September 2014

I PvPed from Beta until just after Mod 4 was released. Adding tenacity meant that anyone who wanted to PvP had to PvP all the time, and buy more bags in order to carry a set of tenacity gear.. I toughed it out anyway, with 0 tenacity, until they tried to "balance" everyone and it got so bad that I could rarely even make to to 2 alive.

Don't fool yourselves, the only way to balance the classes is to eliminate all but one of them.
  • arimikamiarimikami Member Posts: 439 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    jonkoca wrote: »
    Yes. Just leave pvp alone, everytime someone has a bright idea to fix it, they break it more. Fast and deadly. Gear up, or don't expect to win all the time. Simple as that.

This is pretty much what I'm thinking at this point which kind of sucks since PvP is primarily what made me want to play this game. After coming from games that have similar playstyles with much more challenging content, PvE is pretty boring to me and, once you hit 60, you're pretty much required to grind for weeks at PvE just to be competitive at PvP here. Makes me wonder if the devs actually stop and think about what they're doing or if they just throw more <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> on the treadmill, expecting players to grind it mindlessly.
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited September 2014

I'd say my 18K Destroyer's damage is truly "massive" only vs weak gear people with low overall DR, low hp and low tenacity or versus bis people with low current HP who become victims of Executioner. You cant convince me that a PVP player in profound/black ice with 35-40K HP is getting killed in 2-3 shots unless some weird auto proc magic hax is involved.

EDIT- whats with all the disinformation coming from veteran players who are supposed to be experienced ? Someone comes and claims Tenacity doenst count ? Really ? Come hit my Black ice/profound GF or GWF with your full rotation and see if Im down from just that. Even the wizards cant do it right now.
    I will repeat - there is no such thing as massive damage vs proper PVP builds with proper gear unless we are talking about auto proc, DR ignoring damage which can be excessive but to remain fair towards wizard and HR players I wont say more since Ive never played one of those myself.
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    joncans wrote: »
    You can't buy PVP gear off the AH
    Yes you can. L60 Blues with Tenacity are available, granted in limited numbers and variety.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • joncansjoncans Member Posts: 158 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    [QUOTE=emilemo;8997111
    EDIT- whats with all the disinformation coming from veteran players who are supposed to be experienced ? Someone comes and claims Tenacity doenst count ? Really ?[/QUOTE]

^ Maybe people are referring to Glyphs, or SW dots or both. Nobody is getting one shot, people are just whining because they want to PVP well in PVE gear and not have to grind out the BI or Profound set.
    BladeRunner-Proud member of the BlackCloaks.
  • pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Even with BI or pvp sets some damage burst is very fast. I think the whole idea of damage bypassing dr is just plain stupid. Expecially if it's a auto-proc passive effect.
  • mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I liked PvP when tenacity was first implemented. It forced people to focus on a target together to kill it rather then solo one-rotation them. It required thinking and managing CDs. Now it's just pick a target and it dies like it used to be.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz