test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Asset scaling?

reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
edited September 2014 in The Foundry
Maybe I'm dreaming but I'd love to be able to scale assets in the foundry, sometimes there are very nice things around but they're completely the wrong size for what I want. I mean trees, cliffs, doors, plants, etc.
Maybe in the future we would be able to scale things up and down so we can have more freedom while creating things.
What do you guys think? Do you like the idea? Do you think map making could be improved a lot with this?
2e2qwj6.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Asset scaling, and the ability to change the tint on objects, existed in NWN 2. Heavily requested during Foundry beta...

Scaling also already exists in official content, see my post showing where it does in the "content not in Foundry thread".
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Changing hue on objects would be awesome too, I hope that if there's a big foundry update in the future, new options as these can be aviable.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    I would love this. There are tons of pieces I would love to use, but they are much too big to fit in the space, though sometimes they are actually too small, & can't see what they are. And we can scale NPC height, so why NOT asset size?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It won't happen (not only technical-wise, but I.P. wise, I suspect). There is a reason for some limitations (such as ability to import your own 3D Mesh objects): maintaining a specific "look" to things, as dictated by the iron hand of Wizards of the Coast (yes, really. I have friends who work there and they rule D&D I.P. with an iron fist).

Hence the new character generator looks, the look of the new Dragonborn race and a whole host of other stuff.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    How would size scaling impinge intellectual property?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, I don't think scaling them could be any trouble with I.P.s =P
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Scaling and tint/coloring should be pretty easily doable and they already have the code in their full internal tool.
    cf. red doors, bathtub (really just elongated cauldron).
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm not saying it WILL infringe. LOL

I am saying there is the *possibility* or at least they (Crypic legal or whomever) may think there *may* be the possibility. I'm reaching in the dark like anyone else. But I do know they *likely* won't allow asset scaling for the same reason they put crazy limits on avatar shaping in character generator: they want to control the look of in-game player avatars to fit within a particular "visual set" (you only need to step into Star trek Online to see the utterly ridiculous shapes people are creating with the "Alien" race).

This from Dev comments I've seen over the years in both Star Trek and Neverwinter throughout beta periods when we had more direct, responsive communication with the Devs. Obviously I'm paraphrasing from memory what I recall and understand in general (I could be misremembering, but I know I have the main gist).

Even in the Foundry advanced costume designer they pop a "warning" about extreme deforming of shapes and how "STOOPID" they will look if you aren't "careful".

Like everyone else here: my comments are 100% conjecture and hypothesis, nothing authoritative about it. :)
  • Options
    mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It won't happen (not only technical-wise,
    Scaled placeables are already in official content, I posted screenshots of them in the stuff that exists in the official game but not in foundry thread. They squashed a bunch of plants. It looks bad and out of place compared their normal art style.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Scaled placeables are already in official content, I posted screenshots of them in the stuff that exists in the official game but not in foundry thread. They squashed a bunch of plants. It looks bad and out of place compared their normal art style.
    I wouldn't even want to mess with the aspect ratio, just change the size. As you said, when they did it looked bad. But normal scaled assets exist in the official content too. There are lion statues on Protector's Road that are something like 1/6 the size of the Lion statues we have in the Foundry (estimate). Granted, adding that to every asset would take time, which they are most likely unwilling to spend on the Foundry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]