test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Daigotsu: Scourge Warlock Guide, by "Leeroy Jenkins" of GWF Fame... ;)

Comments

• Options
    kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Daigotsu - Tiefling : Scourge Warlock : Soulbinder Paragon : Fury Tree Build

Note: Zhentarim Warlock as Active Companion Analysis can be found on Page 15, Post # 17-20!

The below information isn't the end all be all of kicking awesome booty, but it is a good starting point!!!

Race:[The best races, in my opinion, are Tiefling, Human, and Dragonborn. I currently rock Tiefling, and I love it. Though I believe Dragonborn/Human Racial Traits are completely viable…

Stats: I went with +2 Con and +2 Cha, with a start of: 18 Con, 12 Int, 18 Cha, 10 in everything else. I put 7 Points, during leveling, into Con and Cha, to reach a final allotment of - [B]25 Con, 14 int, 25 Cha, and 12 in everything else.

Feats:

Powers:

At-Wills -

Essense Defiler
    Dark Spiral Aura

Encounter Powers -

For Trash/Soloing
    Soul Scorch
    Dreadtheft
    Warlock's Bargain/Fiery Bolt/Killing Flames

For Big Bad Boss Monsters, Like Dragons!
    Soul Scorch
    Hadar’s Grasp
    Warlock's Bargain

Soul Scorch and Dreadtheft are pretty much self explanatory for the Fury Warlock]. Though I'll touch upon proper use of Dreadtheft/Soul Scorch in a bit... Warlock's Bargain (is my preference over Fiery Bolt) as it's Necrotic Damage, and leaves a lasting curse on the target, so it's good to lead off with on an Elite mob, then Killing Flames/Dreadtheft-ing them. Fiery Bolt I can see use in a more AoE centric runs, if needed. It has it's merits, however I prefer the Necrotic Damage and the non-consumable curse of Warlock's Bargain most of the time.

Now Dreadtheft is a superb Encounter Power, and I've found that it's target/use is quite helpful to maximizing DPS. That being said, Soul Scorch is superb and when used in conjunction with Warlock's Bargain, you’ll be quite please!

With Dreadtheft I target an Elite Mob I tend to run in a large circle around them. This allows me to find the best point to pause on max add killing (if that's available) and to avoid AoE targeting effects as I am constantly moving.

Now, Hadar’s Grasp is the key aspect of maximizing DPS for the Soulbinder Fury Warlock when it comes to single targets such as Dragons. You want, to bring things to the upper stratosphere you want to time it right after Warlock's Bargain. I recommend practicing with it religiously until you feel comfortable moving in all different directions, with being able to double back for better positioning as necessary.

Dailies -
    Tryannical Threat
    Brood of Hadar

Tryannical Threat is still the Alpha and the Omega of the Fury Warlock build. Maximizing AP Gain, and popping this bad boy whenever you have the chance (strategically of course!) will allow you to absolutely melt adds faces, particularly by following it up with Dreadtheft/Hadar’s Grasp. If you have time, I tend to build it up to start a dungeon and/or boss fight. Before moving forward, I pop it, then move/Shadow Walk forward into range, drop 1-3 of the Tryannical Curses on the appropriate bad guys and then the DPS Festival of Awesomeness begins with Dreadtheft.

Basically... Practice, practice, practice. When you get this down, it should be simply awesome, particularly when you're able to maximize AP gain via feats/companions/artifacts.

Passive Class Abilities -
    Borrowed Time
    Dust to Dust

Borrowed Time gives you superb survivability and adds DPS via your Feat selection.

Dust to Dust helps you with AP gain and also DPS via your Feats… More awesome stuff!

Shadow Walkdeserves a honorable mention as a second Class/Passive ability as it allows me more ability to change position faster, in short bursts or longer sustained runs. I just really enjoy it's ability to allow me to be where I want to be as fast as I possibly can be.

Equipment:

Here I will touch upon a few key equipment choices...
    First and foremost, maximizing AP Gain. For that I highly recommend the Thayan Book of the Dead and the Devoted Cleric Artifact: Sigil of the Devoted. I currently have the DC Artifact and it's in my active spot at Mythic Level for a 60 second cool down, and will thus remain their indefinitely. The Thayan Book of the Dead for previous reasons, Heart of the Blue Dragon for its stats, and of course…

Lostmauth’s Horn of Blasting, along with the rest of the set. It’s just stupid good, and if you’re on on that DPS generating gravy train you need to buy your ticket so you can get on board ASAP! ;)
    Mainhand, Essense Defiler as the active and for the offhand I use the Dust to DustClass Feature on that little toy.

Enchantment, I prefer Transcendant Negation and Transcendant Vorpal]. Soulforged for those times you do die, why Lifesteal isn't enough... Get rez'd then Shadow Walk to freedom. Other viable options are Feytouched, Terror, or even Plaguefire. However I’ve found at the end of the day Vorpal is has brought me the highest DPS…

Post edited by kolatmaster on
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    Boons:

Companions:

Overall Thoughts:

The overall combination of high powered Necrotic Damage really makes the Soulbinder Paragon Path a higher DPS one then Hellbringer Fury, as you can have Combat Advantage by appropriate positioning and such. :)

If you have any questions/concerns/constructive criticisms, please fire away as I love discussion!

And at the end of the day, always remember that as a Scourge Warlock your role is as follows:

imagealt="" />
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    equality00equality00 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    Thank you!!!

Trying this out now ;-)
  • Options
    schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    if you do not have a p Vorp and run a Plaguefire ist not the same ammount of damage for sure, the PF enchant does not work very well with warlockclass, and probably other caster classes (like my DC)
    my GWF has a PF enchant, he only has to do 2 waepon master strikes and all mobs in big circle are debuffed with 3 stacks , means 45% less DR
    the debuff runs out vey fast and my DC f.e. can´t even hold him up by using slow at wills
    the reason is simple, the 3 stacks from PF-debuff does not stack that good with most spells like Dread theft and most other aoe spells, it only works with at wills more or less
    so what to do in that case?
    run SB fury or damnation (if you want to kick HAMSTER in T2) , use dust to dust, and take TT, WB, HG and take Dread theft on top, if you do so properly at every mob group the damage will be very good, because--> Hadar grasp seems to count as weapon damage every tick, so you can TT+WB and after this cast HG on the same mob to hold the 3 PF-debuffs up for some time now DT or KF or firy bolt, as you please
    doing trash I normally skip SS because you need your sparks for dust to dust, so i take DT because its more easy to hit your TT victim all time
    having very high crit SS could work, but remember you need TT on every mobgroup
    in bossfights SS is a the best option, I normally take WB, SS, DT
    Post edited by schietindebux on
  • Options

Thank you!!!

Trying this out now ;-)

You're welcome... You're prior post, requesting the updated build, was simply well timed! ;)

if you do not have a p Vorp and run a Plaguefire ist not the same ammount of damage for sure

Of course not... lol

the PF enchant does not work very well with warlockclass, and probably other caster classes (like my DC)

Though it's still viable, simply a suggestion... Lifedrinker is also a viable option IMO. :)

run SB fury or damnation (if you want to kick HAMSTER in T2)

Damnation, when in appropriate parties, is superb DPS. However it's buggy trying to get your Soul Puppet into some boss fights, and honestly the thing rides the short bud from the realm of death to the living realm. It really isn't the smartest thing in the Universe... lol

use dust to dust, and take TT, WB, HG and take Dread theft on top, if you do so properly at every mob group the damage will be very good, because--> Hadar grasp seems to count as weapon damage every tick, so you can TT+WB and after this cast HG on the same mob to hold the 3 PF-debuffs up for some time now DT or KF or firy bolt, as you please

Soul Scourch's ability for you to go 'nuclear', eg. being able to lash out with a high damaging Encounter Power w/o a cooldown is superb. Sure it uses up your Soul Sparks, but in a party you shouldn't always be the focus of bad guys attentions... Thus allowing you not to rely on Dust to Dust for the AP gain (though it is super nice!), as Soul Scorch with TT is super good also. :)

doing trash I normally skip SS because you need your sparks for dust to dust, so i take DT because its more easy to hit your TT victim all time

I use both Soul Scorch and Dreadtheft on trash honestly, along with WB... All Necro all the time!

having very high crit SS could work, but remember you need TT on every mobgroup

Hence me using the Zhentarim Warlock to send my Critical Strike way up high...

in bossfights SS is a the best option, I normally take WB, SS, DT

I still use Warlock's Bargain in Bossfights, along with Hadar's Grasp and Soul Scorch. I've found that to be the highest DPS thus far... But that's just me, a different rotation could be better! :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    blazious11blazious11 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 331 Arc User
    Hey, thanks for the update. My only question is which armor/boots transmute do you use? :)
    My story is truly a grand tale! Of course, any story about me is going to be grand simply by virtue of the main character.
  • Options

Hey, thanks for the update. My only question is which armor/boots transmute do you use? :)

Glad to you are enjoying the read!

The armor is the Infernal Leather Armor, Infernal Gloves, Infernal Boots which you can get from the Tyranny of Dragons vendor in the Well of Dragons, if I remember correctly! The head is the Hood of the Wild from the HR Pack.

va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    fernuufernuu Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Hmm, never tried Hadar's Grasp on bosses - I always stick to Dreadtheft, Killing Flames and Soul Scorch. KF (combined with Morderous Flames) is so HAMSTER - especially on <50% hp bosses - critical hits goes up to few milions.

Also - I went with Offering the the prisoner instead of Killing curse feat - I find 5% damage boost more rewarding than 5% of weapon damage.
    https://youtube.com/c/FernuStormborn

Mod 10:
    [Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Killing Flames deals 16636893 (1009292) Fire Damage to Ethraniev Marrowslake.

Mod 9:
    [Combat (Self)] Your Murderous Flames deals 376274433 (18876929) Fire Damage to Red Tiamat Head.
  • Options
    fernuu said:

Hmm, never tried Hadar's Grasp on bosses - I always stick to Dreadtheft, Killing Flames and Soul Scorch. KF (combined with Morderous Flames) is so HAMSTER - especially on <50% hp bosses - critical hits goes up to few milions.</p>

Try out Hadar's Grasp... You might like it. ;)

Killing Flames is definitely a good choice, just saying other rotations maximizing the Creeping Death and Necrotic Damage can be silly good. :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Yeah, definitely gonna try it, just need to work on my ACT - it really lags game in Windows 10 :( But it works fine in dungeons so gonna test it today :)

And the reason I no longer use WB is I can keep my TT on for 100% time mostly so I don't have to worry about consuming curse :)

And awesome work here - I couldn't find enough time to make my own build but your covers everything what's important for good soulbinder furylock :)

Mod 10:
    [Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Killing Flames deals 16636893 (1009292) Fire Damage to Ethraniev Marrowslake.

Mod 9:
    [Combat (Self)] Your Murderous Flames deals 376274433 (18876929) Fire Damage to Red Tiamat Head.
  • Options
    fernuu said:

Yeah, definitely gonna try it, just need to work on my ACT - it really lags game in Windows 10 :( But it works fine in dungeons so gonna test it today :)

ACT can be such a wanker sometimes... lol
    fernuu said:

And the reason I no longer use WB is I can keep my TT on for 100% time mostly so I don't have to worry about consuming curse :)

Very true, and thank you for bringing it up...

That is definitely a viable alternative for Warlock's Bargain, if your AP gain is fast enough. Though for some lower geared guys and gals, you may want to stick to the rotation I mentioned, however if your AP gain is good enough fernuu is spot on! :)
    fernuu said:

And awesome work here - I couldn't find enough time to make my own build but your covers everything what's important for good soulbinder furylock :)

It's all about getting the info out there for the players bud!

va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Tried and let me say...WOW!!

Not even close to the same damage! Hugh improvement! I have the Black Ice set (Neck, waist, beholder) not Lostmauth’s. Have to look into that one.

Thank You!
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Tried and let me say...WOW!!

Not even close to the same damage! Hugh improvement!

Thank You!

va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    To improve AP generation you should use Greater Corrupt Lethal Enchantment and Greater Corrupt Black Ice Enchantment - they grant 800 Power and Critical Strike, as well as 10% AP each :)

Mod 10:

Mod 9:
  • Options
    fernuu said:

To improve AP generation you should use Greater Corrupt Lethal Enchantment and Greater Corrupt Black Ice Enchantment - they grant 800 Power and Critical Strike, as well as 10% AP each :)

Ya they are pretty snazzy in overload slots... That's for sure!

Might be considering dropping the Heart of the Blue Dragon for Tiamat's Orb of Mastery for +600 AP gain, should be 1.5% more. :)

va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    Well I'm gonna wait for new gear - it has higher recovery so it should buff AP gain too :) And waiting for opportunity to buy Thayan book - then I'll probably be able to drop Sigil of Devoted and replace it with Lanthern for sweet active bonus :D

Mod 10:

Mod 9:
  • Options
    fernuu said:

then I'll probably be able to drop Sigil of Devoted and replace it with Lanthern for sweet active bonus :D

I dunno... The Sigil of the Devoted is just silly stupid good. Not sure the other active bonus of the Lantern would be worth the replacement. However, it's worth testing! :)

va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    fernuu said:

I'm using those two already. They work great!

Question, what are you using in your offense slot's? Azure, Radiant or Dark? I currently have Dark but by looking at your stats it seems as if you may have changed them to them Azure?

My current stats: Using Vorpal and Greater Fireburst. Artifact's are Devoted, Timat's, Black Ice Beholder and Lantern. Race is Human so I put the extra three point's in Blood Pact.

sw1
    Post edited by equality00 on
  • Options
    I'm using Azures in offensive slots - higher critical strike allows me to build sparks faster... and do more damage overall naturally :)

Vorpal, Azures, Radiant in defensive slots, Soulforged in PvE / Negation PvP

Sigil of the Devoted - Heart of the Blue Dragon - Kessell's Spheres (willing to change it to Thayan) - Lostmauth's Horn

Mod 10:

Mod 9:
  • Options
    manny1308manny1308 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    Hi Kolatmaster!
    I love your guides :-) they are always a good inspiration for me!

My playstyle seems to be very similar to yours, and I will try your tip to play with Hadar’s Grasp.

What do you think about to temptation tree to use “Hope stealer”, “Vampiric sparks” and “Dark Revelry”
    - > 20% extra power for the team for 5 sec, when you have life steal. It´s a good damage boost, because you always have life steal.

Equipment:
    I don´t like the Lostmauth’s set, because I don´t like to use a belt with Dex and Str and the horn with control bonus.
    It is for me a little bit of using a bug. But it´s ok for me you use it :-)

I have done it a little more conservative with belt of constitution and the artifacts:
    - Sigil of the Devoted (active)
    - Kessell's Spheres: +1,000 Power, +1,000 Armor Penetration +600 Combat Advantage Bonus
    - GWF artefact +1,000 Power, +1,000 Armor Penetration
    - Lantern of Revelation +1,000 Crit, +1,000 Armor Penetration +600 Combat Advantage Bonus

My Companions are:
    - Fire archon (active)
    • Flame Fist has a 2s cooldown
    • Immolate has a 6s cooldown
    • 3x Offense Slot

- Air archon
    - Earth archon
    - Erinyes of Belial
    - Blink dog (Combat Advantage Damage)

Question: is the Zhentarim Warlock much better than the fire archon?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    imo the best combination to use with TT is like kolat said TT+WB+HG anything you need and want SS/KF/DT/FB depends on the situation even for a damnationlock
    nothing beats SS for sure (on boss encounter), its only my personal opinion that overall performance and damage doing trash is better in feading your sparks into dust to dust, bc my spark-reload is not that fast like kolats i guess, so I prefer DT instead, my crit is about 10k
    TT up on every mobgroup is very important bc most aoe encounter s.uck, so TT is your only relavant aoe
    AP gain is the most important factor to get TT also up in bossfights
    i did drop 2 or 3 points in energizing curse, and my personal feeling tells me its worth it
    HG and KF instead of WB combined with TT is also a viable option,
    never tried but WB deals more damageover time than HG , so most damage over time would be WB+KF?
    I will test this on bossencounter like eTOS
    as damnation build my puppet seems to do very silly hits by using WB in combination with HG beside that
    Post edited by schietindebux on
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    hey just wanted to ask, is fury still good?

Because i've been in party with damnation warlocks and they do more damage than GWFs their soul puppet doing 40-50% of their damage.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    grimah said:

Because i've been in party with damnation warlocks and they do more damage than GWFs their soul puppet doing 40-50% of their damage.

I teamed with a SB Damnation last night, I'm now SB Fury (was HB Fury). I topped the damage chart over them. I'm sure it all depends on GS, power choices etc but I can say without a doubt the SB Fury is good! There was a very noticeable difference not only in damage but also to survive the encounter. I can take a lot more hits with the SB path compared to HB. Hands down SB over HB for a Fury lock. I have ran both.
  • Options
    manny1308 said:

Hi Kolatmaster!
    I love your guides :-) they are always a good inspiration for me!

Happy you enjoy them bud! :)
    manny1308 said:

My playstyle seems to be very similar to yours, and I will try your tip to play with Hadar’s Grasp.

You'll love Hadar's Grasp, promise.
    manny1308 said:

What do you think about to temptation tree to use “Hope stealer”, “Vampiric sparks” and “Dark Revelry”
    - > 20% extra power for the team for 5 sec, when you have life steal. It´s a good damage boost, because you always have life steal.

I think it's worth testing, just to be sure... But I'm not sure its needed, ya know? Maybe in PvP the extra Lifesteal would be needed, or maybe at a lower Item Level? Not saying that in a derogatory manner, just hypothetically... lol
    manny1308 said:

Equipment:
    I don´t like the Lostmauth’s set, because I don´t like to use a belt with Dex and Str and the horn with control bonus.
    It is for me a little bit of using a bug. But it´s ok for me you use it :-)

Just kidding bud... To each their own, no worries! :)
    manny1308 said:

I have done it a little more conservative with belt of constitution and the artifacts:
    - Sigil of the Devoted (active)
    - Kessell's Spheres: +1,000 Power, +1,000 Armor Penetration +600 Combat Advantage Bonus
    - GWF artefact +1,000 Power, +1,000 Armor Penetration
    - Lantern of Revelation +1,000 Crit, +1,000 Armor Penetration +600 Combat Advantage Bonus

Make sure that Sigil of the Devoted stays active, and gets to Mythic ASAP! Aside from that looks good, IMO.
    manny1308 said:

My Companions are:
    - Fire archon (active)
    • Flame Fist has a 2s cooldown
    • Immolate has a 6s cooldown
    • 3x Offense Slot

- Air archon
    - Earth archon
    - Erinyes of Belial
    - Blink dog (Combat Advantage Damage)

manny1308 said:

Question: is the Zhentarim Warlock much better than the fire archon?

Yes, infinitely yes.

That is if you have Bonding Runestones of course, if not then I'd suggest an Augment Companion.

However, with Perfect Bonding Runestones, the Zhentarim Warlock is the best Active Companion in the game, IMO.

:)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options

as damnation build my puppet seems to do very silly hits by using WB in combination with HG beside that

Ya, Damnation is a bit wonky, and capable of silly damage with the Soul Puppet. I just find it better as a Soulbinder Fury since I am ready to go from the beginning of combat, and don't need the party buffs to make the pet kick serious HAMSTER. lol
    grimah said:

grimah said:

They are capable of doing that, but it's a tad buggy with the Soul Puppet, and honestly sometimes hard to guide the damn thing. The AI isn't exactly Einstein level over here! lol

But don't just take my word for it...

Hands down SB over HB for a Fury lock. I have ran both.

va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    grimpstahgrimpstah Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Hey Kolat,

Like the others said, nice guide.
    recently returned af an absence from mod3-till-now and decided to rock the SW, just because.

Was about to respec HB/Fury because I felt like having the Hellish Rebuke as a secondary, however I coulnd't justify loosing out on Soul Scorch.

One thing that I cant really get any info on is, what is the prefered armor at the moment for this given spec?
    -I'd like to say that it's the Accursed Diabolist set, but is this still BIS "If it ever was" regardless of the "low" ilvl?
    Or should one stick to the lack of a set bonus and go with the ice armor, and whatever falls into my way?
  • Options
    grimpstah said:

Hey Kolat,

Like the others said, nice guide.

Thanks bud, much appreciated!
    grimpstah said:

recently returned af an absence from mod3-till-now and decided to rock the SW, just because.

grimpstah said:

Was about to respec HB/Fury because I felt like having the Hellish Rebuke as a secondary, however I coulnd't justify loosing out on Soul Scorch.

Ya, after some testing I did recently that is my opinion also... Unless something changes, pretty drastically, it's what I am sticking with. :)
    grimpstah said:

One thing that I cant really get any info on is, what is the prefered armor at the moment for this given spec?
    -I'd like to say that it's the Accursed Diabolist set, but is this still BIS "If it ever was" regardless of the "low" ilvl?
    Or should one stick to the lack of a set bonus and go with the ice armor, and whatever falls into my way?

Accursed Diabolist, while good, is pretty below on the stat curve compared to the new Elven/Dragonflight Armor Sets for PvE. I'd test out both honestly, and go with what you prefer...

I don't know if the Accursed Diabolist set bonus is more DPS then the higher stats of the Elven/Dragonflight Armor Sets stat increases, but it is something to test! I know that the HP you gain from those sets is super duper awesome, so I'd practice and see what works best for you... :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    accursed diabolist set might deal good damage, but i doubt it will be very comfortable having 40k HP and running actual encounter, too much stress and too much health kits you need
    go the most comfortable way, go Soulbinder, and if you want to be even more lazy take the offhand feat that grants you 15% deflect, its defintely an improvement
    and in case you think its wasted in PVE...its not because you can stay and play most time, you can´t deal damage by standing in the middle of chaos and not on the wrong side of the door
    tankyness=dps , sometimes
  • Options
    r3n3gad322r3n3gad322 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Thnx and appreciate the guide kolat, came at the perfect time too since we got a free respec for xbox. Been running hb from the get go, gonna give sb a try.
  • Options

Thnx and appreciate the guide kolat, came at the perfect time too since we got a free respec for xbox. Been running hb from the get go, gonna give sb a try.

You're welcome bud, if you have any insight/concern/thoughts, let me know! :)
    va8Ru.gif