test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are you still wearing your level 1 pants?

gertrude4lifegertrude4life Member Posts: 17 Arc User
edited August 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
It amazes me how much complaining there is going on. It's almost like people can't see what the results of their complaints will be when fixes are implemented along the lines of what they want- or think they want.

Bind items to character or account- on the surface, this seems like a good idea, until a character gets to 60 and needs tier 2 gear and can't finish the dungeon to get those items. If items are bound to character or account, that means they can't be sold on the auction house. If they can't be sold, they can't be bought, either.

I see people daily leveling their characters quickly through PVP or whatever, then they get to 60 and can't complete their dailies without a party. What? really? Oh, nevermind, I didn't realize they had a gear score of 6500 trying to get into dread ring or sharandar. If it only took three days to get to 60, no wonder they don't have any astral diamonds or gear.

So, now they are at 60 and all they can do is PVP, except now they can't because they don't have the gear score to survive 60 PVP. The solution, is to run dungeons and get tiered gear. Right? No problem!

Oops, except while they were in PVP they were getting killed by (enter type here) class, so they complained and the developers saw this and said, yes this is unfair, let's nerf (enter type here) so (other type here) can survive.

So, now everyone has been nerfed and no one has gear, and you can't get it off the auction house because if you accidentally finish a dungeon, whatever dropped, whether it was for your class or not (yes, I've gotten cross-class purple gear dropped for me in dungeons) is bound so you can't sell it or buy it, and because everyone has been nerfed, the chances of you finishing the dungeons you need for your gear, which were slim in the first place because of the random drop problem, are non-existent because no one can survive the dungeons enough to complete them.

Think about what could happen before you demand changes, please?
Post edited by gertrude4life on

Comments

• frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Blue gear is easy to get/cheap to buy and is a good starting point. After that doing gauntlegrym is what I recommend. With rhixs and lord protector's dailies you get a lot of ad (only need to join 1 min before the end and get a kill in) and can work your way to get the grim t2 set. Once getting your set which can also be partially got from pvp, if you have pieces from gg, I recommend trading them in trade of blades if you ever plan to pvp or want different stats. T1s are also pretty easy, whereas t2s you may need to rely on a better group. Gray wolf den you need to make sure noone gets hit by the last boss so that shadow wolves dont spawn, those are the only things that can make it hard, and mad dragon can be hard for a t1, but I have been surprised at times when pugging it.

For shirts/pants, you can craft them if you have the profession ranked up, otherwise fancy shirts/pants are alright for a few stats and pretty cheap generally, if you can afford it, then you can get a slotted blue shirt/pants for a relatively decent amount. Leadership also helps to get ad but takes long to level up.
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yes, PvP complainers have caused the PvE part of the game (which is the core of DnD in general) to suffer at times. The problem is that PvPers are the loudest and most persistent complainers. PvP is really just an add-on to this game as it does not really fit the overall nature of DnD (player characters vs NPCs) - it did not even exist when the game was released.

I think the developers have realized this (based on patch notes I have reviewed) and will continue to focus on the PvE asepct of this game.
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    myowmyow wrote: »
    I think the developers have realized this (based on patch notes I have reviewed) and will continue to focus on the PvE asepct of this game.

Well, I hope so. In my opinion the idea that classes should in some sense be "equal" for PvP purposes has caused considerable harm to some classes as far as PvE is concerned - the best example is of course what was done to TRs when they got their "big nerf" a while back - TRs used to be the best at dealing massive damage to single targets...great for boss fights in PvE - not so great in PvP if you got attacked by a TR. The result was that the single target damage was reduced, and TRs were no longer as appreciated in DDs as they had been before.

I think the devs are starting to realize it is next to impossible to "balance" things this way as long as all powers work the same in PvP and PvE, which is probably why we are seeing more and more powers have different effects, depending on whether they are used against mobs or other players.

This, combined with PvP-only boons is creating a separation between PvP and PvE which is a really good thing IMO.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    - it did not even exist when the game was released.
    Where does this lie come from? I've been playing since cb and this is not true.
    edited August 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Where does this lie come from? I've been playing since cb and this is not true.

I meant open world PvP. :)
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
    edited August 2014
    adinosii wrote: »
    Well, I hope so. In my opinion the idea that classes should in some sense be "equal" for PvP purposes has caused considerable harm to some classes as far as PvE is concerned - the best example is of course what was done to TRs when they got their "big nerf" a while back - TRs used to be the best at dealing massive damage to single targets...great for boss fights in PvE - not so great in PvP if you got attacked by a TR. The result was that the single target damage was reduced, and TRs were no longer as appreciated in DDs as they had been before.

I think the devs are starting to realize it is next to impossible to "balance" things this way as long as all powers work the same in PvP and PvE, which is probably why we are seeing more and more powers have different effects, depending on whether they are used against mobs or other players.

This, combined with PvP-only boons is creating a separation between PvP and PvE which is a really good thing IMO.

Since the TR is my favorite class, I really hated the nerfing of single target damage. I still hate that nerf - one I really can't let go to this day.

• silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Typical things I hear in EVERY mmo ive ever played for the last 20 years.

1. If I was going to play pvp, I wouldn't play this game, there are better games (funny how EVERY mmo ive played, gets the same comment)
    2. PVP was just a add one, never meant for this game. (I seriously have heard this in EVERY mmo ive played for last twenty years.)
    3. End game sucks here, other mmos are better.
    4. Its just p2w now anyways.
    5. This game is just a grind fest, I wouldn't recommend it. (you want grind, spend 3 weeks to get one level in EQ, when levels meant something)

Now, is there some truthful elements in some comments, yes, but usually people take the far end of the spectrum on it all.

Overall, I enjoy MMOs for both pve and pvp, if you have never tried PVP give it a whirl and try it out, you might enjoy yourself.
  • wildlustwildlust Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 38
    edited August 2014
    Having a duel spec like WOW would be nice, but with a limitation. You have a PVE Spec that only works for PVE content and a PVP that automatically engages when you enter a PVP environment. Have spell work differently for both PVE and PVP. Such a reduced damage etc..
    Not a redesign of the core aspect of the spell. 1sec root PVP or 3 sec root PVE type adjustments.

Having things seperated would make things easier to balance whether it be PVP or PVE.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    When my 2nd GWF just hit 60 last week, I went to upgrade her gear to set pieces and was astonished to find out the whole time I forgot about her pants and shirt... she was still wearing her newbie pants and shirt from character creation... *the old mage facepalms*

Funny enough though, as a GWF, she still was rocking all PVE content.
  • ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I only use lvl1 pants on my HR, but I have a really good reason to do so. Did you notice those grey undies are uniquely dyed?
    edited August 2014
    silverkelt wrote: »
    Typical things I hear in EVERY mmo ive ever played for the last 20 years.

1. If I was going to play pvp, I wouldn't play this game, there are better games (funny how EVERY mmo ive played, gets the same comment)
    2. PVP was just a add one, never meant for this game. (I seriously have heard this in EVERY mmo ive played for last twenty years.)
    3. End game sucks here, other mmos are better.
    4. Its just p2w now anyways.
    5. This game is just a grind fest, I wouldn't recommend it. (you want grind, spend 3 weeks to get one level in EQ, when levels meant something)

Now, is there some truthful elements in some comments, yes, but usually people take the far end of the spectrum on it all.

Overall, I enjoy MMOs for both pve and pvp, if you have never tried PVP give it a whirl and try it out, you might enjoy yourself.

What makes NW different than some other MMOs is that it is built on a DnD platform, which does not have a PvP element in its pure form (PnP version) . . . or at least it wasn't that way in the earyl days in the 70s . . .

I have tried PvP in other games. I don't like it. Never have, never will. Full of violent, rude, cry babies (not everyone, but there are plenty of those types in PvP). Much more peaceful and enjoyable playing PvE for me.

• akemnosakemnos Member Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    While the rule books do not specify anything specifically about PVP for the pnp version, there was also nothing stopping you from doing so. I know that I have done some arena battles against other players multiple times. Attacking an NPC is absolutely no different from attacking another player. Just because any campaign that you have ever been involved with didn't have PvP doesn't mean that every single campaign by every other player did not.
  • sexwax45sexwax45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Just go to the market and buy all blues, just like any mmo when you hit 60 you need to go to the market and get you some lvl 60 gear. Get rid of anything lower then you shouldn't have any problems with t1 dungeons, but people should really read up on their chars and prioritize gear based on stats for their class/role. Most items are only around 100ad, like 1500-2000 to gear out a full char, and if they don't got the AD do 3 skirmishes. Oh and you can get cheap green pants and shirt or blue non-gemmed not that costly.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    OP is spot-on. I can't say I disagree with much, if any of it.
    as for pants and shirt: I have 11 characters (9 at 60) right now and all but my first one is still using the initial "issue" shirt and pants. And because I can;t disable visuals on them and the new "Emperor" versions have ridiculous requirements to craft them I'm thinking to just remove them altogether as the stats (even on the purple quality Gemmed versions I already have) aren;t really all that spectacular.

But the OP's point is clearly made, I think.
  • rezielereziele Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 66
    edited August 2014
    Sorry if I'm being rude, but it is because of players like these that the PvP aspect of the game is so rediculously lacking varieties. It is redundant. It is boring. I am both a pvp and pve player, and would like to see both equally developed here, if the pvp players dont try to impose their thoughts on pve players it should be likewise with others not trying to show pvp as the bad part of the game which it definitely is not.
    I dont go cussing on any player in pvp, how I look at it is some place to have fun playing against real living people, test my gears and that gives me motivation to improve my char after achieving 13k gs. People should grow out of it being violent and sick mentality and look at the bigger picture - the way that mature pvp'ers look at it. And stop telling other players to play another game for pvp, that is plain rude.
    ~We need more PvP types. Tired of Dominations!~
    edited August 2014
    I meant open world PvP. :)
    That makes some sense, however you are not the only one that has said this, nor is this the only time it's been said. I'm not sure if that's what's meant all the time but the way that keeps getting said if everyone means it that way is almost politician speak. It's technically true but put in such a way to seem like it means something completely else.
    zebular wrote: »
    When my 2nd GWF just hit 60 last week, I went to upgrade her gear to set pieces and was astonished to find out the whole time I forgot about her pants and shirt... she was still wearing her newbie pants and shirt from character creation... *the old mage facepalms*

Funny enough though, as a GWF, she still was rocking all PVE content.
    I don't think I've ever upgraded shirt and pants before 60. There is just no reason to bother.
    What makes NW different than some other MMOs is that it is built on a DnD platform, which does not have a PvP element in its pure form (PnP version) . . . or at least it wasn't that way in the earyl days in the 70s . . .

I have tried PvP in other games. I don't like it. Never have, never will. Full of violent, rude, cry babies (not everyone, but there are plenty of those types in PvP). Much more peaceful and enjoyable playing PvE for me.
    There are several issues here. First of all, just because something is not specifically put into a phb doesn't mean it can't happen. Second even if it was completely banned in pnp it wouldn't matter. This is not pnp. There are many things here that aren't in pnp because an mmo can't be exactly like pnp and mmo's are expected to have pvp because without it many people wouldn't bother playing ie paying. Lastly your issue with __________ is different than an issue with the game mode. There might be more ________ in pvp but they're in pve too. The way is to either ignore them, or report them, not try to take away the game mode from people that enjoy it and aren't _________. That makes you no different in the end from the ___________.
  • sexwax45sexwax45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    OP is spot-on. I can't say I disagree with much, if any of it.
    as for pants and shirt: I have 11 characters (9 at 60) right now and all but my first one is still using the initial "issue" shirt and pants. And because I can;t disable visuals on them and the new "Emperor" versions have ridiculous requirements to craft them I'm thinking to just remove them altogether as the stats (even on the purple quality Gemmed versions I already have) aren;t really all that spectacular.

But the OP's point is clearly made, I think.
    Depends on your priorities i guess, I'd rather have an ugly looking char that does more damage, rather then the latter.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever upgraded shirt and pants before 60. There is just no reason to bother.
    Since I have so many characters and some of them have certain gear crafting professions maxed or near maxed -- I usually make my own as I level my characters and send them to the chars that need them. Somehow, I forgot to on my newest GWF.
    edited August 2014
    sexwax45 wrote: »
    Just go to the market and buy all blues, just like any mmo when you hit 60 you need to go to the market and get you some lvl 60 gear. Get rid of anything lower then you shouldn't have any problems with t1 dungeons, but people should really read up on their chars and prioritize gear based on stats for their class/role. Most items are only around 100ad, like 1500-2000 to gear out a full char, and if they don't got the AD do 3 skirmishes. Oh and you can get cheap green pants and shirt or blue non-gemmed not that costly.

I checked the AH recently on blue items for a couple of different classes and the prices seemed more in the 700-1,000 AD per item range than 100 AD per item. Of course, I only looked at about 20 different items for 2 different classes, so I could have missed some cheaper stuff. Still not too expensive an investment. . .

edited August 2014
    I checked the AH recently on blue items for a couple of different classes and the prices seemed more in the 700-1,000 AD per item range than 100 AD per item. Of course, I only looked at about 20 different items for 2 different classes, so I could have missed some cheaper stuff. Still not too expensive an investment. . .

Blues are slowly rising in price because of the artifact equipment in mod4 and people stocking up.