test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A request for TRANSPARENCY in how the PvP Leaderboard works

proneificationproneification Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 494 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2014 in PvE Discussion
As things stand now, the Leaderboard (LB from now on), while a very nice addition, functions in what is seemingly random ways. Such behaviors were described in previous topics and relate to matchmaking and ranking both. I will try to make a short list:

- matchmaking failures. Just one example: very high ELO 3-men premade queues. Think all 3 in first 10 pages, some page 1. They are matched against random pugs. Nothing new, right? But the 2 places that were free in the premade got filled with what?

Yet another very high ELO, 2-man premade.

This results in basically a complete mismatch and 5 men premade vs full pug team without weapon and armor enchants.

So why the premades were put together and not one vs another?

The matchmaking is ripe with these failures. The above one is just one single example.

- the rankings.

I have waited for a while before posting on this issue - I wanted to get a good overview of the situation. I play 3 classes, GWF/TR/CW, and usually, depending on situation, go from 4 to 10 games/day on each.

A few very "interesting" behaviors of the rankings:

- you win, you go down. Sometimes an entire page. I mean... really? At least let us keep position. We're not guilty that YOU, Cryptic, match us against weaker adversaries.
- depending on class. Not sure how to stress this enough. How come you have an easier time climbing the board as a GWF/TR/HR than, let's say, a DC or CW? Is it the capping? The points made/game? The kill/death ratio?
Do you realize that it is impossible for support classes to score as much as the OP classes that can also hold nodes?
Kindly remedy this situation.
- solo queue, team leaves, you lose to pugs, you go down 20 pages+. Is there any way to encourage solo-pugging? At this point, I just cannot do it anymore because of how punitive the consequences are when you lose... and the loss is out of your power.
- climbing the ladder by stacking FOTM builds. This needs to be addressed really fast. Class stacking has a very negative example. My guild won't go in 5 man without 3 GWFs and they never like it if I try to come on my CW. Other guilds act just the same, stacking GWFs, permas and pathfinder HR tanks. Losses in such a comp are exceptional.
- winning against much better placed adversaries has sometimes no effect - or even drop you slightly. So, as an example, 1:30 hours premade, against better (overall) placed people, and at the end I dropped half a page, even as my GWF had top score. Wow. Now this is depressing.

All that I politely argue in favor of is...

Let us know EXACTLY how things work, please.
Post edited by proneification on

Comments

• Options
    ahsherahsher Member Posts: 208 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Reset leader boards weekly or monthly too. I agree with transparency.
  • Options
    hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    I agree with all of this

Yeah it's almost as if the matchmaking system stacks teams intentionally.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    I hope everyone is smart enough to know why they didn't release it in the first place right? People would game it.

However, it seems people on the top of the leaderboards have been exploiting and gaming the system anyways so what is the point. Might as well release it to give a more equal advantage for everyone to game it.
  • Options
    hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    I hope everyone is smart enough to know why they didn't release it in the first place right? People would game it.

However, it seems people on the top of the leaderboards have been exploiting and gaming the system anyways so what is the point. Might as well release it to give a more equal advantage for everyone to game it.

If it's properly structured, you shouldn't be able to game it.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    If it's properly structured, you shouldn't be able to game it.

I have never seen a perfectly structured leaderboard that has zero spaces for exploitation/gaming. I've seen very good ones that have well-hidden flaws or very minimal flaws. The current one we have is too easy to figure out, hence hiding its mechanics is almost pointless now
  • Options
    twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    depending on class. Not sure how to stress this enough. How come you have an easier time climbing the board as a GWF/TR/HR than, let's say, a DC or CW? Is it the capping? The points made/game? The kill/death ratio?
    Do you realize that it is impossible for support classes to score as much as the OP classes that can also hold nodes?
    I noticed this behaviour early on but initially wasn't sure if it was a 'real thing' or not. I play a CW, HR, and TR. I do maybe 4-8 matches per day on each. As you'd expect, I'm at roughly the same standard with each of them. And yet my TR and HR are more than 1000 pages higher than my CW (it was more but my CW is slowly climbing pages). I have no idea why. If you look at the displayed metrics there is not much difference between all three.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    bimlobickybimlobicky Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If it was made properly, there'd be no way to game it. This one is just this side of pitiful, and its being gamed hardcore; that should be obvious to anyone with minimal database exp.
  • Options
    dustintheclouddustinthecloud Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    As things stand now, the Leaderboard (LB from now on), while a very nice addition, functions in what is seemingly random ways. Such behaviors were described in previous topics and relate to matchmaking and ranking both. I will try to make a short list:

- matchmaking failures. Just one example: very high ELO 3-men premade queues. Think all 3 in first 10 pages, some page 1. They are matched against random pugs. Nothing new, right? But the 2 places that were free in the premade got filled with what?

Yet another very high ELO, 2-man premade.

This results in basically a complete mismatch and 5 men premade vs full pug team without weapon and armor enchants.

The matchmaking is ripe with these failures. The above one is just one single example.

- the rankings.

I have waited for a while before posting on this issue - I wanted to get a good overview of the situation. I play 3 classes, GWF/TR/CW, and usually, depending on situation, go from 4 to 10 games/day on each.

A few very "interesting" behaviors of the rankings:

- you win, you go down. Sometimes an entire page. I mean... really? At least let us keep position. We're not guilty that YOU, Cryptic, match us against weaker adversaries.
    - depending on class. Not sure how to stress this enough. How come you have an easier time climbing the board as a GWF/TR/HR than, let's say, a DC or CW? Is it the capping? The points made/game? The kill/death ratio?
    - solo queue, team leaves, you lose to pugs, you go down 20 pages+. Is there any way to encourage solo-pugging? At this point, I just cannot do it anymore because of how punitive the consequences are when you lose... and the loss is out of your power.
    - climbing the ladder by stacking FOTM builds. This needs to be addressed really fast. Class stacking has a very negative example. My guild won't go in 5 man without 3 GWFs and they never like it if I try to come on my CW. Other guilds act just the same, stacking GWFs, permas and pathfinder HR tanks. Losses in such a comp are exceptional.
    - winning against much better placed adversaries has sometimes no effect - or even drop you slightly. So, as an example, 1:30 hours premade, against better (overall) placed people, and at the end I dropped half a page, even as my GWF had top score. Wow. Now this is depressing.

All that I politely argue in favor of is...

Let us know EXACTLY how things work, please.

Just ignore that leaderboard thing... its useless and buggy... and a lot of pvpers dont care about that.
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited June 2014

As a TR, winning and losing results in moving 1-4 pages up or down. As a DC losing causes you to drop 10 pages minimum, and winning most of the time has no effect.

That said, I'm losing more pug matches as a TR, but I keep being placed at pages 10-15, as a DC I mostly win with positive K/D and most of the time lose positions.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    proneificationproneification Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 494 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Just ignore that leaderboard thing... its useless and buggy... and a lot of pvpers dont givafk about that.

It is what we have now. I don't give it a lot of importance, yet it is a fun implement to have. So why not understanding and improving it?

Also the "fact" that a lot of PvPers don't care about it might not be so true. Because people run in those 3-5 GWF comps for a reason...
  • Options
    spongebob56spongebob56 Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I suggest they remove the leaderboard altogether and just focus on matchmaking, new maps, new modes, and balance.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Just ignore that leaderboard thing... its useless and buggy... and a lot of pvpers dont givafk about that.

Incorrect.

Most PVPers, especially those on the top of the leaderboard (coming from top pvp guilds) care a lot about those leaderboards. There are a lot of famous guilds that participate in exploiting to increase their scores. I can't name any of them sadly because it is against the forum rules and it doesn't matter since they probably will not be reprimanded in anyway.

You can say people are angry and frustrated about the leaderboard, but if people truly don't care, then they wouldn't be exploiting the system, they wouldn't be gaming it by queueing in a specific type of group. That is not the case, hence your statement is inaccurate.

Befriend some people from the big pvp guilds. Learn the shady techniques they participate in to game the system. Get a clue. Then come back and say they don't care about the leaderboard deep inside.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Incorrect.

Most PVPers, especially those on the top of the leaderboard (coming from top pvp guilds) care a lot about those leaderboards. There are a lot of famous guilds that participate in exploiting to increase their scores. I can't name any of them sadly because it is against the forum rules and it doesn't matter since they probably will not be reprimanded in anyway.

You can say people are angry and frustrated about the leaderboard, but if people truly don't care, then they wouldn't be exploiting the system, they wouldn't be gaming it by queueing in a specific type of group. That is not the case, hence your statement is inaccurate.

Befriend some people from the big pvp guilds. Learn the shady techniques they participate in to game the system. Get a clue. Then come back and say they don't care about the leaderboard deep inside.

Well, this is not really true, at least anymore. There was some exploiting at first by queueing against alts just to farm the PvP stuff. But this has and adverse effect on leaderboard position overall.

The only "exploiting" that takes place right now is FOTM tanky builds stacking/party. It's the 3-5 GWFs/HRs comps you find sometimes in PvP, all with maxed gear and drunk on elixirs. There's almost no way to lose in these comps, basically only an even more stupid OP comp will beat you.

Basically, roar/IBS/thornward/perma/meditation etc. is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> skill at the moment. Stack as much of this and you gonna be happy on the leaderboard.
  • Options
    cust0mxcust0mx Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Im top 2 atm, and i solo Q 95% of the time (no joke).
    So, to be fair, its not impossible to "climb" ladder alone but i still dont get how this leaderboard is working tbh.

I dont really mind anyway, because its obviously irrelevant; i dont consider myself as top 2 HR.
    Some clarification on how it is working would be much appreciated though.
  • Options
    aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    As a PvPer, I'm against having a leaderboard. It encourages bad habits,such as 3 people standing on the back cap in order to get that 300 points, while the rest of the team suffers.
  • Options
    josiahiyonjosiahiyon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 396 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The leaderboard is straightforward and interesting, although of course not perfect. The only thing the leaderboard encourages is winning at all costs, and ideally with a low elo team.

One basic principle that cryptic has explained many times already: it's team elo vs. team elo, where leaderboard rank is a proxy for elo. You go up (down) more if you beat (lose to) a team with higher (lower) elo. The odd thing is that there are matches where a team can ONLY lose rank regardless of the outcome. Rank on leaderboard has nothing to do with a player's score in a game or the GS.

Also, the rank-movement swings become smaller and smaller as toons move up the leaderboard.

That's my understanding and experience, at least. Despite a few drawbacks, I'm a big fan.
    Pvpbysynergy.png
    Iyon the Dark
  • Options
    fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited June 2014

I agree that this seems completely rife with fail.

If they can't be transparent just get rid of the stupid thing.
  • Options
    bucklittlebucklittle Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Leaderboards in MMOs are usually when they have a competitive scene or ranked matches. Neverwinter has neither.

MMOs that have leaderboards without these things is like the Pay2Wins, Chinese, and the Korean MMOs.

I can say, let's not be like those Chinese and Pay2Win MMOs, let's not have a leaderboard without a competitive scene or ranked matches.
  • Options
    twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    An individual leaderboard for a team-based PvP mechanic is just dumb. The stats you can access on matches played etc. are interesting, but the 'Standing' tab is meaningless. All it's doing is providing whole new levels of e-peen stroking amongst those dumb enough to care about it.

Meh.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder