test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Time Limit on PVP Matches?

degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2014 in PvE Discussion
Since the recent PVP changes, we've seen 20-50 minute matches now run 1.5-2 hours. I'd like to suggest a time limit on Domination PVP. Perhaps 40 minutes?

Thoughts?
PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
Post edited by degraafination on

Comments

• loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    +1

It should be 15, because glory is capped there.
  • kaos1kaotickaos1kaotic Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Is prefer faster point gain honestly. I don't like the idea of just stopping the match.
  • degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Is prefer faster point gain honestly. I don't like the idea of just stopping the match.

Faster point gain is no longer realistic with Tenacity, unfortunately. I suspect the developers didn't think through all of the possible complications of the new stat.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • pherrowpherrow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I would be good with a cap of 45 min but i think the glory should reflect time spent in the match. I really would not like the time cap to be 15 minutes as some of the best comebacks I've been a part of needed time to develop.
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    45 minutes seems reasonable, it will allow slow starters to come back.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I say 15 minutes - if things go south quickly, then just cut your losses and let everyone move onto the next match or other things, without incurring a penalty. Perhaps add 5 minute extensions if the score is within 50 points, but hasn't reached the 999 mark yet.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • tittlemcgrittletittlemcgrittle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Faster point gain is no longer realistic with Tenacity, unfortunately. I suspect the developers didn't think through all of the possible complications of the new stat.

Trace you're misunderstanding. Essentially, if you have control of a node and outnumber your opponent on the node you gain points. Instead of allowing for 1 person to stop point gain. There are plenty instances of 2v1 hold out fights, or single target wipes. During that time the 2 people would be gaining points for their team. Would cut down a fair amount of time. And would add another element in play calling.

That's just one of the idea's we came up with to combat the 2 hour match times.
  • degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Trace you're misunderstanding. Essentially, if you have control of a node and outnumber your opponent on the node you gain points. Instead of allowing for 1 person to stop point gain. There are plenty instances of 2v1 hold out fights, or single target wipes. During that time the 2 people would be gaining points for their team. Would cut down a fair amount of time. And would add another element in play calling.

That's just one of the idea's we came up with to combat the 2 hour match times.

Ah, gotcha. That makes sense. Not a bad idea.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    !5 minutes agreed.
  • proneificationproneification Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 494 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    No, 15 minutes is a joke. 40 minutes is better. The idea that was suggested above where you gain points when on numeric superiority on a point is interesting as well.

Honestly, I could do with 1 hour games, but now when everybody is geared and knows what to do, matches close on 2 hours. Very tiring for me, and to be honest I've got a family, a kid, 1 hour of non-stop action is a huge commitment. In a dungeon you can say "guys, brb IRL issues" but in a premade your 5 minutes away might very well mean you will lose the game.
  • rittzbitzrittzbitz Member Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    How about instead of capping at 15 minutes for 500 glory, for every 15 minutes a match runs it is worth 500 glory? All matches, regardless of length, would be worth relatively the same to both sides.

The only issue I see is with the glory rewerds in general for the losing team. They have to deal with what would equate to an hour or more worth of losses cumulatively. It would still be more glory : time efficient to simply give up and hope for a better (easier) match with a chance at a win.

That's just an issue with the reward structure and the fact that instead of pure competition a majority of people likely do PvP for the extra rewards that are provided (dailies, artifacts, gear). It'd be better to have a system that scales rewards based off player performance, but that would be difficult to structure. Some classes and roles couldn't hope to receive the same rewards with how the system currently scores.
  • myth8892myth8892 Member Posts: 48
    edited April 2014
    1 hour no more and no less than..
    that should be more than enough time.
    If your premade games are going on as long as you say, unless they change things, maybe the pvp guilds should talk about it and just set it to 60 minutes and end game no matter how close it is.
    It should never be about glory in premades so i dont even know why that would be brought up, it is about my team beat your team bragging rights for the night, If you need glory that bad, than just group up with your guildies and rofl stomp pugs, which i am sure you already do.
  • slawczerslawczer Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    5 points per kill . The match will be shorter.
    edited April 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    I"m with this.

I can live with that. As long as 2 people on 1 node don't make more points than 2 people on separate nodes.

Nah, wouldn't be more points would just resume getting points so long as your team had control of the node prior.
    On a second note another easy way to cut down on the time is simply double the amount of points you get per node tick. So instead of 1 point per node per tick, it would be 2 points per node per tick.
  • kaos1kaotickaos1kaotic Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    Nah. All that will do is make people start sitting at the fire once they are 200 points behind instead of 500.

Also would need a timer on how long you can stay in the spawn. Not that it takes you out of that match, but if too large of a percentage of the match is spent in the spawn, no rewards. Anyone actually playing spends maybe 1% of the match in the spawn. So let's say 15% or more means no rewards.
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    On a second thought, I think competitive matches can have a time limit of more than 15 minutes. PUG matches though should be capped at 15. We have a time limit anyway, because people already started camping lopsided efforts and this will only increase. So most of the casual games are bound to last more like 7-10 minutes.

I still think you have to separate competitive and casual PVP and apply different ELOs and rules on the long run, but I doubt it'll happen anytime soon. Recent weeks showed this game doesn't have the playerbase for a decent matchmaking system so how do you want to match complete teams? Not possible.
  • godlysoul2godlysoul2 Member Posts: 661 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Anything between 30min -> 45min would be a nice cap per match, or a system that makes point capping/gain a lot faster per tick. Maybe a faster point gain method would also help new players see the viability of capping points over just killing when it becomes more apparent how quickly they are losing if not capturing points.
  • bucklittlebucklittle Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    45+ minute matches so a handful of hardcore pvpers can enjoy their occasional comebacks isn't worth it for the rest of the players. Matches need to be no longer than 15 minutes.
    edited April 2014
    To the people saying matches should be no longer than 15 minutes:

1000 Total Points needed /3 points per second = 333.333 Seconds/60 Seconds in a minute = 5.55 Minutes not including the few seconds it takes to get across the map. So let's round that up to 6 minutes for capture time and travel time, basically the minimum length a match can last if the opposing team decides to never leave spawn. Your 15 minute match is just over 2 times times an uncontested game. My question to you is, do you even want to pvp? I ask this with all seriousness, I don't mean for it to be offensive though it may come off that way.
  • proneificationproneification Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 494 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    bucklittle wrote: »
    45+ minute matches so a handful of hardcore pvpers can enjoy their occasional comebacks isn't worth it for the rest of the players. Matches need to be no longer than 15 minutes.

If this is the amount of consideration you show for this handful of players, then expect nothing but merciless pugstomping when they meet you in PvP.
  • pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If this is the amount of consideration you show for this handful of players, then expect nothing but merciless pugstomping when they meet you in PvP.

And that would be different compared to today, how?
    edited April 2014
    To the people saying matches should be no longer than 15 minutes:

1000 Total Points needed /3 points per second = 333.333 Seconds/60 Seconds in a minute = 5.55 Minutes not including the few seconds it takes to get across the map. So let's round that up to 6 minutes for capture time and travel time, basically the minimum length a match can last if the opposing team decides to never leave spawn. Your 15 minute match is just over 2 times times an uncontested game. My question to you is, do you even want to pvp? I ask this with all seriousness, I don't mean for it to be offensive though it may come off that way.

Sure, we want to PVP. For 15 minutes.
    edited April 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    And that would be different compared to today, how?

Very different.

I don't like to pugstomp anybody, at all. If a team is particularly bad, I afk, chat etc. If I get attacked, I kill them.

However, if some people are deliberately hating and trying to destroy my occasionally fun 1 hour PvP game, then if I ever meet them in the arena I'll do my best to hunt them down and send them to spawn as soon as they set feet on the ground.
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Very different.

I don't like to pugstomp anybody, at all. If a team is particularly bad, I afk, chat etc. If I get attacked, I kill them.

However, if some people are deliberately hating and trying to destroy my occasionally fun 1 hour PvP game, then if I ever meet them in the arena I'll do my best to hunt them down and send them to spawn as soon as they set feet on the ground.

That guy does nothing but cry about pvp. look at his post history.
    edited April 2014
    skalt112 wrote: »
    That guy does nothing but cry about pvp. look at his post history.

I have made it quite clear that I don't think PVP should be a part of this game. It is not consistent with D&D lore or the entire spirit of D&D itself. If PVP is to stay, I think it ought to be completely separated by character - only PVP characters can PVP, and only PVE characters can PVE, period. But as long as the two are intermingled, then yes I will stick up for PVE players, who wander into PVP because they want something different to do besides killing dragons, to not have a completely miserable experience. That doesn't mean winning every match. That does mean that players who spend thousands of dollars and thousands of hours doing nothing but PVP should never ever ever be matched up against the merely occasional PVPer who does primarily PVE. That does mean that PVPers should abide by some standard of fair play and not be allowed to grief their fellow players. But this flies in the face of the entire PVP culture it seems, which is based on trash talking, smack talking, "pwnage", the attitude of "if it isn't forbidden then it's fair game", and just generally humiliating other players. Nobody ought to be treated to that level of disrespect, and especially not when playing a *GAME* for heaven's sake.
  • rittzbitzrittzbitz Member Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    If you think killing people in PvP is grieving, you're delusional.
    edited April 2014
    rittzbitz wrote: »
    If you think killing people in PvP is grieving, you're delusional.

Not what I wrote.

Killing a player in a fair PVP contest - no problem.

Full premade roflstomping pugs, jumping up into enemy spawn zones (before it was fixed), killing a player then laughing about it in zone chat and calling them "n00bs", dancing on a player's corpse, offering 1v1s then gang-killing players anyway - all are wrong and should not be tolerated. Yet that is what happens each day every day in NW PVP land.
  • pherrowpherrow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    I have made it quite clear that I don't think PVP should be a part of this game. It is not consistent with D&D lore or the entire spirit of D&D itself. If PVP is to stay, I think it ought to be completely separated by character - only PVP characters can PVP, and only PVE characters can PVE, period. But as long as the two are intermingled, then yes I will stick up for PVE players, who wander into PVP because they want something different to do besides killing dragons, to not have a completely miserable experience. That doesn't mean winning every match. That does mean that players who spend thousands of dollars and thousands of hours doing nothing but PVP should never ever ever be matched up against the merely occasional PVPer who does primarily PVE. That does mean that PVPers should abide by some standard of fair play and not be allowed to grief their fellow players. But this flies in the face of the entire PVP culture it seems, which is based on trash talking, smack talking, "pwnage", the attitude of "if it isn't forbidden then it's fair game", and just generally humiliating other players. Nobody ought to be treated to that level of disrespect, and especially not when playing a *GAME* for heaven's sake.

You make it sound as if PVE'ers are the good guys and PvP'ers are the baddies. I roll on a PvP toon but I mainly pug since I am not in a PvP guild. I can tell you one thing, I get far more trash talk from PvE'ers who roll into domination than PvP'ers -by far. I get that they are frustrated and I understand that they often do not have a solid comprehension of what needs to happen during a match or how to do it but that's not a reason to talk smack. If you go into a match with the PvE toon an except that it is what it is, your experience will be better. I can assure you however, that if you talk junk to me and are serious about continuing the trash talk....the experience for you in that match will be much worse. And when I say you I don't actually mean you specifically.