test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tenebrous.

nahsinahsi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 24 Arc User
edited March 2014 in PvE Discussion
Apparently this item has gone from one extreme to the other, with little to no middle ground (supposedly).

Is this true, or are there still some valuable uses and choice making for this item? I've researched old data on this forum, and asked this quite frequently in chat channels in game, and apparently this particular item is in no way, shape, or form a contender between Radiant Enchantments.

If this is true, I find that lack of choice a bit dull. A single enchantment shouldn't be a "no brainer" scenario in my opinion.

Again; I'm referencing old data and hear-say. I'm looking for what is actually factual. So, please enlighten me, because I've been toying with the idea of working towards some Tenebrous instead of Radiant. However, if it's a lost cause...

Edit: Just for clarification on what I've gathered by the by, is that Tenebrous was a burst damage proc that ignored many defensive factors. Then was taken into the opposite extreme; such as longer cooldown, and completely being independent from stats you may already have (like Armor Penetration). Thus the burst was abysmal in comparison to consistent and raw damage provided from Radiant (Power).
Post edited by nahsi on

Comments

• nahsinahsi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Anyone know anything about this? @_@
  • kolbe11kolbe11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Prior to November, 2013 the Tenebrous Enchant was king for most all GF/GWF's in PVP as it ignored all defenses/dodges/blocks.

Post-November tenebrous nerf, it no longer ignores ANY defenses, can miss due to a dodge or block and can no longer hit without penalty.

Result?

The damage inflicted is so low now that everyone is better off using something else. So Tenebrous now ranks right up there with the likes of Serene\Indomitable Runestones and Tranquil Enchantments... Cute, but useless for anything other than Rank Points.
    "It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools: Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers." -Illiad
  • vvergvverg Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    kolbe11 wrote: »
    The damage inflicted is so low now that everyone is better off using something else. So Tenebrous now ranks right up there with the likes of Serene\Indomitable Runestones and Tranquil Enchantments... Cute, but useless for anything other than Rank Points.

Not true, Tenebrous are actually usefull. I bought 2 Greater + 1 Normal Tene for my GWF and I can say it helps in PvP. My GWF has currently around 29k HP in PvP and have to tell.. those Tene's proc pretty fast :). (They can proc from the bleed effect.)

With 27.8k HP I got this with 1 Greater Tene: "Combat (Self)] Your Tenebrous Power deals 807 (862) Necrotic to Powrie.". These thing can give nice damage boost and also this does more damage than stacking a Radiant for power.

As I get diminishing returns on the stats I can get from the offensive slots there is no reason to use Azure or Dark Enchantment for my GWF... except if I pick Power but I just find that a waste cause it gives such minor dps boost... I can see that the 2x Greater + 1x Normal Tenebrous indeed helps in PvP.
    signature-lili.png
  • godlysoul2godlysoul2 Member Posts: 661 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    The post by Kolbe is 100% correct, and yes. Now it is worthless in comparison to the others, not only for reliability, but just because of its output versus what other enchants can provide.

With regards to the above post, yes it is probably better than power stacking. Definitely arm pen is the best though followed by crit. To be honest though, if you are stacking these so high that the diminishing returns make it better to go with a tene instead, you haven't focused enough of defensive stats. You do need to make sure you consider though that you just wasted an enchant for 20s if your opponent dodges it which is something that needs to be considered rather than just comparing the damages straight up. Multiple tenes also proc at the same time too, so theoretically you could have something like 3 tene procs or more get canceled by one dodge. The equivalent of having no enchants equip in those slots for another 20s.
  • nahsinahsi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It sounds to me that the problem is now not entirely (but still partly) Tenebrous itself, but rather enchantments as a whole. What I mean is that there is absolutely no choice/decision making or equal pros and cons to consider when trying to pick an enchantment.

The current mechanics funnel us all into stacking the same few things to deal damage (power/crit/ap), and anything outside of that realm is nothing more than a glorified purple (epic) gimmick that will never be able to compete on equal terms.

No choice between using some risky burst damage that might stack well when least expect it during an encounter use, or consistent raw damage all around.

It's a shame we have just one winner. Power. Power. Power. Power. Seems pretty lackluster and boring to me.
  • trippysmurf1trippysmurf1 Member Posts: 188 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Well here's a new fact, tenebrous ignores tenacity. This was reported already in the feedback thread, but completely ignored and will go live tomorrow. You're welcome.
    edited March 2014
    I don't understand why it would even be effected by Tenacity in the first place... seeing as it is not a CC ability. Perhaps sarcasm on your part, but nevertheless it's clearly not enough to save this "Epic" stone from being anything less than a glorified paperweight. That's definitely okay by me though, seeing as a Rank 7 Radiant is a fraction of the price. :]
  • godlysoul2godlysoul2 Member Posts: 661 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    nahsi wrote: »
    I don't understand why it would even be effected by Tenacity in the first place... seeing as it is not a CC ability. Perhaps sarcasm on your part, but nevertheless it's clearly not enough to save this "Epic" stone from being anything less than a glorified paperweight. That's definitely okay by me though, seeing as a Rank 7 Radiant is a fraction of the price. :]

You need to read up on tenacity lol. The main point of tenacity is the large DR bonus it provides. If it does ignore tenacity though, then that might help balance it. I am still not interested in it myself though.
  • utuwerutuwer Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well here's a new fact, tenebrous ignores tenacity. This was reported already in the feedback thread, but completely ignored and will go live tomorrow. You're welcome.
    So?

If the current defense stats already makes the current tene "useless", then the "bug" that makes current tene ignore tenacity will not make it any different. Tene still has to face the current defense stats which already make it "useless".
    You say 4v5 is impossible? Cool story bro.
  • vvergvverg Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    utuwer wrote: »
    So?

If the current defense stats already makes the current tene "useless", then the "bug" that makes current tene ignore tenacity will not make it any different. Tene still has to face the current defense stats which already make it "useless".

Well that's the thing, as a GWF you get a lot of Arp. Especially seeing the many debuffs ppl can use with different classes this should not be a problem. Next to that it's more useless for me to put Radiants so I can have Power which doesn't have DR, but the difference in DPS is so small if I use 3x R8 Radiant's instead of the 3 Tene's I use now.

Sure Tene isn't the killer as it used to be, but it can help doing the trick.

[9:03] [Combat (Self)] Your Tenebrous Power deals 584 Necrotic to Target Dummy.
    [9:03] [Combat (Self)] Your Tenebrous Power deals 876 Necrotic to Target Dummy.
    [9:03] [Combat (Self)] Your Tenebrous Power deals 876 Necrotic to Target Dummy.

That's with 28.7k HP. I use currently 2 Greater Tene's and 1 Normal Tene (which I will replace). So when I got 3 Greater Tene's I do 3x 876 = 2.628 damage. I mean sure, it's not much but still.. like Bilethorn (I use Vorpal though) all those small numbers make a big one :). I use a lot of those small DoT boons, than Deep Gash etc. I like all the extra DoT's I give my enemies :). The extra DoT's also proc the Tene's.. ^^

But you should only invest in Tene's when Crit/Arp(/Recovery) has more than enough points in it. Also having a decent amount of HP is usefull also.

Else just try it out yourself and see if you like it.
    signature-lili.png