test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

HRs in Frozen heart

tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2014 in The Wilds
Just wondering if any other HRs have tried kiting the adds on the last fight of FH. I have done it several times now, and I find it quite fun. It took me a couple attempts to get it down pat, now I am confident enough to do it every time that I am in there.

I actually think a HR is a better kiter than a GWF or GF for that fight, we have great mobility, the ability to shoot long range to pull adds, solid damage to help kill the archers and add DPS on the boss (at least a little, simply by shooting in his direction), excellent defenses/deflect and enough shifts to keep you alive. Additionally, we can use Fox Shift to increase our run speed, Steel breeze to refill our stamina, and hindering strike to slow down the mobs on our tail.

Anyone else have experience kiting, and do you enjoy it?
Post edited by tickdoff on

Comments

• kiraskytowerkiraskytower Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I've kited the adds in the final boss fight a couple times with my HR as well, mostly because we couldn't find a GF at the time for our run. As an HR you certainly can draw the agro to get the mobs to follow you (a few split shots and everything is after you - really, just like everywhere else). Most HRs are also used to firing on the move anyhow, so this is just another form of our normal routine. The biggest downside to using a HR for this is we don't really have the armor to take a lot of hits from the archers, so we have to rely on others in the party to kill the archers before they kill us.
    PandorasMisfits_Logo_175_zpskpytcqxc.png
    Winter Lily (CW) / Winter Rose (DC) / Winter Ivy (HR)
    Pandora's Misfits Guild Leader
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It can work but I'm not convinced it's the best plan or much better than a gwf. GWF will have problems pulling off the throne, most archer rangers are squishier and will have a hard time surviving the archers, where the GWF thinks archers tickle a bit. A combat ranger would probably be an excellent kiter however.
  • hidahayabusahidahayabusa Member Posts: 634 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    A combat ranger would probably be an excellent kiter however.

Yep. And it also has the melee 'oomph' to kill some (archers that is) while kiting.
    * Notorious Dwarven Bear Cavalry Leader *
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    any ranger can kite the adds, it was the first thing i tried when i hit 60. All you need is split shot to draw agro, rain of arrows is enough even non-crit to kill archers so i slot that too. as for the other 2 encounters doesnt really matter. i use thorn ward to drop on archers also and oak skin or some other defensive thing to help tank the archers.

I did run at nearly 1k regen which helps at 24k hp (at the time).

All you need to do is keep moving, i find it easier to kite on my ranger than it is on my GF. GWF is the hardest, my CW has kited it easier than my GWF, but GWF is possible if you atticipate the spawns.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • rodrant64rodrant64 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I just did a FH run and kited the adds yesterday with my HR. It's a nature/deflect-regen build that has 5/5 ghostwalker which makes it perfect for being able to kite and stay alive fairly easy. Just kept using boar hide, oak skin and fox cunning as much as possible when not running, using split shot to get aggro and use disruptive shot for faster cooldowns.

A GF can do the job a lot easier but I think the right HR can do the job just as well as the right GWF.
    Just call me Rod. Member of Grievance!
    CW: Rodrant Turnbul
    TR: Rodran
    DC: Rodrat
    GWF: ROARdrant TurnBRAWL
    Other GWF: Shieldrant
    HR: Bowdrant
    SW: Wardrant Turnlock (my main!)
    OP: Paladrant (on Preview!)
  • elminsterelminster Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I've done this once and not by choice. Our GWF ditched and we got a CW, so it was either the tank takes the adds for a little jog or the crafty HR takes a stab at it. Well the party didn't feel like wiping again so I was drafted. It's possible to kite then on an HR, but I don't recommend it. If you or your team doesn't stay on top of killing the archers off they stack up quick and hurt like hell when you've got five or six of them. Also make sure you have decent movement and stamina regen. If those monsters catch you or you fail to clear an AoE in time it can really mess up your day. I agree with Charononus, a combat HR would be far better suited in my honest opinion
  • tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have had no issue killing most of the archers while kiting the trolls and golems, the speed of hindering shot, constricting arrow and their melee aspects makes it pretty easy to focus one down as soon as you get a little distance from the herd.
  • inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    elminster wrote: »
    I've done this once and not by choice. Our GWF ditched and we got a CW, so it was either the tank takes the adds for a little jog or the crafty HR takes a stab at it. Well the party didn't feel like wiping again so I was drafted. It's possible to kite then on an HR, but I don't recommend it. If you or your team doesn't stay on top of killing the archers off they stack up quick and hurt like hell when you've got five or six of them. Also make sure you have decent movement and stamina regen. If those monsters catch you or you fail to clear an AoE in time it can really mess up your day. I agree with Charononus, a combat HR would be far better suited in my honest opinion

There is only ever 4 archers max in fh last boss. I typically aggro them all and leave them on me the entire fight for determination while dpsing boss on my gwf, though of course a cw or another class tries to "help" by finishing off the archers i leave at 5% hp and then i gotta go find the new spawns somewhere in the train behind the kiter.

As a gwf if a hr wants to kite the adds you are welcome to it. I personally prefer dc kite (or gf if available), otherwise cw can. if not though, better you than me. To me the only thing sillier than having your gwf kite adds is having a tr do it.
  • elminsterelminster Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    We must've done something wrong then because those buggers kept spawning on us (hence our first wipe and the GWF ditching). If not for me dropping RoA on them on my way past we'd have been overrun in no time. I'll keep that in mind for next time, though I truly hope there won't be a next time for that bit of fun
  • chemboy613chemboy613 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I always kite this in gf and it's seamless.

Without the right regen gear, hr is so squishy that he might have some issue if things go wrong.

Gwf sometimes has aggro issues but good players with good team can pull it off

I always thing gf is best, just most players of gf aren't that good. :(
  • xtraordinary91xtraordinary91 Member Posts: 323 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    tickdoff wrote: »
    Just wondering if any other HRs have tried kiting the adds on the last fight of FH. I have done it several times now, and I find it quite fun. It took me a couple attempts to get it down pat, now I am confident enough to do it every time that I am in there.

I actually think a HR is a better kiter than a GWF or GF for that fight, we have great mobility, the ability to shoot long range to pull adds, solid damage to help kill the archers and add DPS on the boss (at least a little, simply by shooting in his direction), excellent defenses/deflect and enough shifts to keep you alive. Additionally, we can use Fox Shift to increase our run speed, Steel breeze to refill our stamina, and hindering strike to slow down the mobs on our tail.

Anyone else have experience kiting, and do you enjoy it?

I agree with you. Kiting the Adds as a HR is the most fun I have had in pve in this game to date.
    [email protected]
    19.9k PvP Control Wizard
    <Complaints Department>