test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

hi need some advice on building my control wizard please

anteonanteon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 140 Bounty Hunter
edited January 2014 in The Library
hi i have looked on line and so on but there is not much doing about builds at levelling stage
im lev 25 and low lev cleric is out DPS'ing me by allot so i think im doing something wrong so some advice please here are some screen shots as you can see i have no idea what im doing
cw_1.jpg
cw2.jpg
cw3.jpg
sorry for grammar spelling punctuation but i am dyslexic i do my best sorry if it offends you
Post edited by anteon on

Comments

• angrymanagementangrymanagement Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    At that level, Chill strike on tab & Shield is your best encounter damage. Most of the heavy hitters come later on (Sudden Storm, Shard of Avalanche & Steel Time). Would just say try to get the most targets you can with your AOE without annoying the team with knockbacks.

You may also be seeing other players that are leveling alts with the gear that levels with you or allows you to wear it below the standard level for the gear. I was playing around with an alt and some of that gear, and it can make a character pretty strong especially with higher level enchants. Seemed to be quite a few other people wearing it also.
  • slushpsychoslushpsycho Member Posts: 657 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Good luck.
  • ironyogaironyoga Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    You may also be seeing other players that are leveling alts with the gear that levels with you or allows you to wear it below the standard level for the gear and it can make a character pretty strong especially with higher level enchants.

This is the case most likely.
    So you decided to attack some spelling error to don't have to deal with the contain and when you did you didn't have the brain to can answer it.
  • anteonanteon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 140 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    i know this player well his my friends grandson and he is not got that armour

but im not sure where to put points all try what angrymanagement said and see im just confused with points its so costly to respec them
    sorry for grammar spelling punctuation but i am dyslexic i do my best sorry if it offends you
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Your points a bit scattered. You really need to pick a few powers to focus on. As it is you only have 2 at rank 3. Get Chill strike to rank 3, then work on Conduit of Ice. That will give you a third viable AoE, that will hold you till you get to 30.

Dont worry to much about the daily powers, you just wont have the recovery levels to really lean on them all that much. Pick two at-wills and stick with them. Avoid leveling others till later. You primary focus should be on maxing out the encounter powers that will work best for you. They will be your main source of damage, they are the priority.
  • anteonanteon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 140 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    thank you for the replies what about feat points
  • seryiyirisseryiyiris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Not to hijack the thread, but I've got similar questions: after having been away for several months, I'm wanting to jump back in with a Tiefling Control Wizard. What's the best starting stat roll overall, without considering spec?
    edited December 2013
    Honestly it's quite hard to go wrong with this game as long as you level up the skills you are using and pick feats that go with them. You get a lot of points to distribute. It is made with the intention that you can use any skill combo to get through it but also be able to switch if need be to make a better team composition.
    So you decided to attack some spelling error to don't have to deal with the contain and when you did you didn't have the brain to can answer it.
    edited December 2013
    seryiyiris wrote: »
    Not to hijack the thread, but I've got similar questions: after having been away for several months, I'm wanting to jump back in with a Tiefling Control Wizard. What's the best starting stat roll overall, without considering spec?

You need to start your own thread for a question like that.
  • angrymanagementangrymanagement Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I wouldn't bother respecing your character until you are level 60 even if you don't like the current setup...unless of course you have the zen to spare. The feats that work best with your current encounters aren't necessarily what you want at level 60.

Like Sockmunkey said, get Chill Strike & COI up to 3 points. Also Chilling Cloud can make a difference if your hitting multiple mobs with the 3rd hit. Oppressive Force is an awesome daily when you have points to spare for it.
    edited December 2013
    well i did what you said looks like this now
    cw1a.jpg
    cw2a.jpg
    edited December 2013
    ok i just hit 31 any advice ??
    edited January 2014
    ok im at 42 and now im dieing allot and i do mean allot this is the spec im using
    cw1.jpg
    cw2.jpg
    cw3.jpg
    edited January 2014
    any help on this would be great please no idea what im doing now
  • dpskanedpskane Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2014
    the dying a lot part is not related to your choice of feats/powers.
    while such choices *do* make a difference, it is not that much to explain the "a lot".

tip1: make sure you don't go by "recommended" gear. if you find a green orb but you have a blue one: if the green one deals more damage, equip the green one. the "recommendation" goes only by sell value, nothing else.
    tip2: if you haven't yet, learn how to dodge. whenever it is red underneath you, dodge. don't dodge via double-tap, use shift+key.
    tip3: buy a cleric. those guys keep your potion consumption low and are very nice even at lvl 60 - except in dungeon runs.
    tip4: chill strike on tab. is your friend. if you die often, try out using coi and icy terrain, they help you surviving, even though the damage is not the biggest. a few more levels and the pain will diminish quickly, as steal time is a nice and easy damage dealer and life saver (but, if the ground turns red underneath you while you cast it -> dodge!).
    tip5: find a friend to party with, xp gain is almost the same, you just have to share items.
    edited January 2014
    thanks for the info i hit 60 but now i have no clue about gearing this guy i looked on the AH but im lost on what to get
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    For starter sets, take your pick based on what will tide you over best for now. The PvP set is just fine and doesn't require AD; just enough PvP played to get the Glory.

For more advanced sets, you're mostly looking at High Vizier, Shadow Weaver, and Champion Mage (Gauntlgrym). High Vizier is the generally preferred choice; Shadow Weaver lets you stack offensive stats more easily on a budget; Champion Mage is for when your build concept depends on maximizing your HP.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

edited January 2014
    i dont do pvp i suck so bad id never get the glory to buy anything lol
    edited January 2014
    ok now im at 60 im looking to respec my toon thinking of trying mof and where do i get the High Vizier set is that the pvp one ?
  • uurbsuurbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 449 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Press CTRL-j in game to bring up the collection system; go to equipment; search for the High Vizier set and hover your mouse over it.
    Proud member of Dragon Clan - German Gaming Community