test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Negation Enchantment

ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
edited November 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
I'm not sure if this is WAI or a bug, but Greater says it increases your damage resistance by 20%, but looking at my log after it procs -

Combat (Self)] Neverwinter Guard deals 334 (770) Physical to you with Ranged Attack.

My normal damage resistance sits at 49.3%, so this seems to only have increased my DR by about 7% (20% of 49.3% instead of a straight 20% bonus).

Which is actually kinda crappy, considering it only lasts 6 seconds and only procs once every 60 seconds.

Just kinda blows my mind that they're buffing soulforged while so many other enchantments (maybe all of them?) pale in comparison to it already.

By the way the game's combat log is infuriatingly difficult to work with, I have no idea why you made it so hard to copy/paste from it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• kemi1984kemi1984 Member Posts: 849 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Well I'm greatly interested could any negation users confirm what ranncore said.
    Some time ago I've decided to go on Negation & digging my way to greater.

Greater should give us pretty hefty amount of additional DR & if it doesn't...well that will pretty much destroy the LAST viable armor enchant.

For the combat log? I agree, it's a mess
    Nancy - Dragonborn, SM Guardian Fighter
    A proud member of "mythical horde of DPS GFs"

1). Is SW more dps or tank based?
    2). Yes. I am panzer!
    3). Get ACT if you want to celebrate your epeen.
    4). Horniness will not stand between me and what I believe - "MM"
  • hinageshi79hinageshi79 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 246 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I think it is a bug. How is possible that it wai? If it is wai it means soulforged is the only viable armor enchant.
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited November 2013
    This has been confirmed by another of my guildmates, but if anyone else wants to do some testing feel free to post it here.

If a dev could confirm whether this is WAI or not that would be greatly helpful, would mean the difference between me hanging onto this enchant in hopes it is fixed some day or pawning it off before everyone realizes how terrible they actually are.
  • hinageshi79hinageshi79 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 246 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    no answer?

It is asi or it is a bug? I asked to one of my friend who have it and he started to cry when verify it. He say he is sure that before it worked well giving him 25% for 7 sexonds ( he had perfect one) and say that or it is a bug, or an undeclard nerf by devps. Can anyone confirm me that it is a bug? I wasworking to make perfect one too, but in the case it is not bugged as as intended i will switch to soulforged.

I really hope it is a bug already listed to be fix couse of course i'm tired to waste my time and resources to be hindered by nerfs.
  • poisoncloudpoisoncloud Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Maybe it is working as intended, only that you're reaching the DR cap with only 7% added already? I'm not sure what the DR cap is though.
  • ladysylvialadysylvia Member Posts: 946 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    >>increases your damage resistance by 20%<<

The by say all. It's not +20% it's by 20%. It's dependent of YOUR DR. So WAI for me.
    edited November 2013
    ladysylvia wrote: »
    >>increases your damage resistance by 20%<<

The by say all. It's not +20% it's by 20%. It's dependent of YOUR DR. So WAI for me.

we are speaking about %... so if i have 30% damage reduction and this enchant increase my damage reduction by 20%, it means i make sum of two %, so 30+20=50. Now the enchant give a percentage of something that is already a percentage. I think it is a nonsense.

1) and if I have 0 dr? This enchants doing nothing?
    2) and if some enemy or player in pvp hit me with something that reduce my damge reduction? It reduce also my enchant buff?

... so this enchant is very bad...

3) one of my friend (read my previous post) say that before it worked well, not like now.

EDIT:
    But... to be honest I saw that or devps really don't listen player comments, or it take months. So: i want know by some of them if this enchant is bugged or wai and if they are planning to fix it or not. If they answer us, i can decide if sell all my negations (because i don't want this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>) or keep them and working to perfect (if they say us they are working to fix it)
  • dante123pldante123pl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 282 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    it seems to incrase DR but based on ur current DR, so u get the % from ur current % of DR
  • llewelyn89llewelyn89 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It's a standard Neverwinter description "by X%" is a multiplier. "By 20%" means 120% of your current DR
    edited November 2013
    llewelyn89 wrote: »
    It's a standard Neverwinter description "by X%" is a multiplier. "By 20%" means 120% of your current DR

so negation is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Ok i will sell it, but i'm not happy.
  • wergildwergild Member Posts: 33
    edited November 2013
    Yeah - the % is incorrectly stated in NW.

It is like the old question... if a baseball bat costs $1 more than a baseball, and you spent $1.10, then how much does the bat actually cost?

The correct answer is $1.05, as the ball has a cost of $0.05, and the bat is $1.00 MORE than the ball, so $1.05 for the bat.

1 more than 2 = 3.

Not clearly explained. I spent a ton of AD on my regen stuff for my Guard, and was not super impressed with how it worked because of the % gains and such. It is nice, but not that fantastic - and negation was not even worth considering (6 seconds effectively lets you live about 0.8 seconds longer if taking heat.
    edited November 2013
    It is a trap, of course.

damage reduction is ALREADY a percentage (damage rduction = percentage of damage you reduce), and so if i have x% DR, "increase your damage reduction by y%" means (X+Y)%. So we have two problems:

1) again, cryptic scam us with ambiguous description and because of that i wasted a lot of money and time!!

2) it is usless to cry 'couse if we cry and, for example, ask for a reimbursement we only make them happy 'couse their intention was that we waste money

3) Even if they fix the description, negation is in any case <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> if they don't fix it.
  • nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hence it would mean that Holy Avenger is just as bad
    edited November 2013
    but we didnt get any official explanation it it is a bug (i hope), intended and ok, was intended but now they understood it is a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and want to buff it.
    like it is now, i want to give away all my negation garbages, but i'm fear the i sell them and then they buff negation. Please unwer us so we know what to do.
  • nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I've talked to a friend who did some tests some months ago and he says that PERFECT negation grants actual 25% mitigation, but Lesser-Greater only increase by the propotional amount
    edited November 2013
    nwnghost wrote: »
    I've talked to a friend who did some tests some months ago and he says that PERFECT negation grants actual 25% mitigation, but Lesser-Greater only increase by the propotional amount

ok... after your words I went to preview server and tested perfect on preview. I have 44.6 DR on the tooltip and with perfect my total DR calculated from combat log is around 49.5.... I simply go near mobs and did nothing just let them to hit. I dont know if is intended or a bug but i think it is a bug couse my dr was increased of 49.5-44.6=4.9 total (11% of my own DR). So it is buggy in any case.

Please bring negation to correct values ( (x+25)%DR for perfect ) because we dont have any alternative to soulforged atm (regarding defensive ench).
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ok... after your words I went to preview server and tested perfect on preview. I have 44.6 DR on the tooltip and with perfect my total DR calculated from combat log is around 49.5.... I simply go near mobs and did nothing just let them to hit. I dont know if is intended or a bug but i think it is a bug couse my dr was increased of 49.5-44.6=4.9 total (11% of my own DR). So it is buggy in any case.

Please bring negation to correct values ( (x+25)%DR for perfect ) because we dont have any alternative to soulforged atm (regarding defensive ench).

Any chance you can post the actual log entries, please? This is a perfect opportunity (pun intended) to really check how the enhancement works at the highest level...
    edited November 2013
    when i have time , maybe tomorrow, i will make again the test and post it if i found a way to copy the log. usually i post in the vorum via mobile so i didnt pot the log for this reason

EDIT
    lol i posted few hours ago and see "yesterday"... tomorrow it not "today" for you... it's tomorrow for me lol (saturday or sunday). I hope to find time to make the test again.
  • kemi1984kemi1984 Member Posts: 849 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, I'm another one who could see a test being made.
    Looking forward to hin's results.
    As I wrote before...if this one is bugged than there's no other viable defensive enchant - and this SUCKS !
    Nancy - Dragonborn, SM Guardian Fighter
    A proud member of "mythical horde of DPS GFs"

1). Is SW more dps or tank based?
    2). Yes. I am panzer!
    3). Get ACT if you want to celebrate your epeen.
    4). Horniness will not stand between me and what I believe - "MM"
  • gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited November 2013
    Guys, I just ran tests on all 4 ranks and they all appear to be granting the correct amount of resistance at ALL ranks. To be clear, you should get (X+Y)%. This is currently happening at all ranks. If you are not seeing this you need to be posting your combat logs so I can see what is happening, but my best guess here is your testing has a flaw in it somewhere that is badly skewing the results. Every test I can run here shows them working exactly as they should. If you could post both logs and your full test case (pictures of gear, what powers you were using, etc). That could help narrow it down.

To comment on Soulforged, what we are doing is intended is to make its actual potential throughput easier to understand (by removing the invulnerability and making it heal you for a fixed amount) while making it closer to what the actual source books describe, as well as providing better counterplay. Before it was hard to react to someone activating soulforged until you had already used one of your encounters because of the chaos of combat. Now you see them pop back up right away and can continue unloading on them. This means that in PVP and PVE the use case for soulforged is more clear and has more options for counterplay and control. Additionally, it has a slower recharge time (90 seconds now) to account for how powerful it was.

Relevant logs excerpts for my Negation tests below. Note that I had just over 26% resistance (which is being rounded because the damage is relatively small).

R1:[Combat (Self)] AoE Damage: 10xLevel deals 74 (100) Physical to you with AoE Damage.
    [Combat (Self)] Your Health Regen gives 3 Hit Points to you.
    [Combat (Self)] AoE Damage: 10xLevel deals 64 (100) Physical to you with AoE Damage.

R2:[Combat (Self)] AoE Damage: 10xLevel deals 74 (100) Physical to you with AoE Damage.
    [Combat (Self)] Your Health Regen gives 7 Hit Points to you.
    [Combat (Self)] AoE Damage: 10xLevel deals 59 (100) Physical to you with AoE Damage.

R3:[Combat (Self)] AoE Damage: 10xLevel deals 74 (100) Physical to you with AoE Damage.
    [Combat (Self)] AoE Damage: 10xLevel deals 54 (100) Physical to you with AoE Damage.

R4: [Combat (Self)] AoE Damage: 10xLevel deals 74 (100) Physical to you with AoE Damage.
    [Combat (Self)] Your Health Regen gives 10 Hit Points to you.
    [Combat (Self)] AoE Damage: 10xLevel deals 49 (100) Physical to you with AoE Damage.
  • josiahiyonjosiahiyon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 396 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Guys, I just ran tests on all 4 ranks and they all appear to be granting the correct amount of resistance at ALL ranks. To be clear, you should get (X+Y)%. This is currently happening at all ranks. If you are not seeing this you need to be posting your combat logs so I can see what is happening, but my best guess here is your testing has a flaw in it somewhere that is badly skewing the results. Every test I can run here shows them working exactly as they should. If you could post both logs and your full test case (pictures of gear, what powers you were using, etc). That could help narrow it down.

To comment on Soulforged, what we are doing is intended is to make its actual potential throughput easier to understand (by removing the invulnerability and making it heal you for a fixed amount) while making it closer to what the actual source books describe, as well as providing better counterplay. Before it was hard to react to someone activating soulforged until you had already used one of your encounters because of the chaos of combat. Now you see them pop back up right away and can continue unloading on them. This means that in PVP and PVE the use case for soulforged is more clear and has more options for counterplay and control. Additionally, it has a slower recharge time (90 seconds now) to account for how powerful it was.

Relevant logs excerpts for my Negation tests below. Note that I had just over 26% resistance (which is being rounded because the damage is relatively small).

R1:[Combat (Self)] AoE Damage: 10xLevel deals 74 (100) Physical to you with AoE Damage.
    [Combat (Self)] AoE Damage: 10xLevel deals 64 (100) Physical to you with AoE Damage.

R2:[Combat (Self)] AoE Damage: 10xLevel deals 74 (100) Physical to you with AoE Damage.
    [Combat (Self)] AoE Damage: 10xLevel deals 59 (100) Physical to you with AoE Damage.

R3:[Combat (Self)] AoE Damage: 10xLevel deals 74 (100) Physical to you with AoE Damage.
    [Combat (Self)] AoE Damage: 10xLevel deals 54 (100) Physical to you with AoE Damage.

R4: [Combat (Self)] AoE Damage: 10xLevel deals 74 (100) Physical to you with AoE Damage.
    [Combat (Self)] AoE Damage: 10xLevel deals 49 (100) Physical to you with AoE Damage.

Interesting. If it's additive as you say, what happens when your DR is above 75%?
    i.e. for a DC w/ astral shield up, foresight active, and 35%+ DR, adding 25% would put them at over 100% DR.

If anyone has a negation they can copy for me on test server, I'd like to test this. @josiahiyon.
    Pvpbysynergy.png
    Iyon the Dark
  • dante123pldante123pl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 282 Arc User
    edited November 2013

you guys just should leave soulforged enchant as it is now and just make different enchant for ur healing <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that i find totaly useless in most of situations
    edited November 2013
    josiahiyon wrote: »
    Interesting. If it's additive as you say, what happens when your DR is above 75%?
    i.e. for a DC w/ astral shield up, foresight active, and 35%+ DR, adding 25% would put them at over 100% DR.

If anyone has a negation they can copy for me on test server, I'd like to test this. @josiahiyon.

There's a hard cap of 80% for Damage Resistance from all sources. So, it should effectively add only 5% at 75%. The only way to go over 80% damage reduction overall is via deflected attacks (90% for non-TRs and 95% for TRs) or damage immunities.

I too would like to either test this enhancement myself or for someone, preferably anyone who has a Greater or Perfect and has been stating it is incorrect, to post their logs from a proc on Live or Preview and state their Character Sheet's Damage Resistance before the proc, please.
    edited November 2013
    I thought the 80% hardcap didn't apply to buffs, but I could be wrong since haven't tested.

If the 80% hardcap does apply, then maybe that explains why some here don't see much impact from negation.

Edited to add that there is another way to increase your effective DR (besides deflect): use damage debuffs on enemies.
    Pvpbysynergy.png
    Iyon the Dark
    edited November 2013
    If the 80% hardcap does apply, then maybe that explains why some here don't see much impact from negation.

Not really. For the purpose of independent testing, how are they going to get up to 80% DR? No matter the class, you need at least a Daily from a Cleric, if not both a Daily and Astral Shield too.
    edited November 2013
    a DC could go over 80% pretty easily, so wouldn't be a big challenge to test hardcap. foresight, as, 35dr, warding shield.

Also, we're talking about 25% additional. To not see the 25%, all they'd need is > 55% DR.
    Pvpbysynergy.png
    Iyon the Dark
    edited November 2013
    a DC could go over 80% pretty easily, so wouldn't be a big challenge to test hardcap. foresight, as, 35dr, warding shield.

Also, we're talking about 25% additional. To not see the 25%, all they'd need is > 55% DR.

Your wording is ambiguous. I thought you were asking how NOT to bump up against the 80% DR hard cap by others in this thread. I am saying there is no way you can accidentally hit the the hard cap while doing a basic test of this enhancement.

It turns out you mean you want to actually test the hard cap with this enhancement, not just whether the enhancement works as described and how it works (which is what most in here care about).
    edited November 2013
    Yes. I'd like to know if the effectiveness of this enchant is reduced if the user has hit the DR hardcap upon (or before) proc. If yes, then that could explain why some experienced less than advertised effectiveness.

Good news is that this is easy to test.. if one has a negation enchant.
    Pvpbysynergy.png
    Iyon the Dark
  • facexcontrolfacexcontrol Member Posts: 281
    edited November 2013
    Im using my perfect Negation more then 2 months now..i mostly do PvP and the dmg reductions factors are more complex that in PvE.
    Havent done actually testing of it, but i am sure that it is not a % of your current % because the difference you get when it proc is significant!
  • ladysylvialadysylvia Member Posts: 946 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    fondlez wrote: »
    Not really. For the purpose of independent testing, how are they going to get up to 80% DR? No matter the class, you need at least a Daily from a Cleric, if not both a Daily and Astral Shield too.

Give me a Greater or even Perfect and i show you a 80% hardcap non Cleribuff Char.