test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Review Trade: Claiming the Halfling Quarter NW-DIRTSMWZH

boudicciaboudiccia Member Posts: 74 Arc User
edited December 2013 in Foundry Quest Database
This can be found in the "New" tab under the Campaign Claiming the Halfling District.

Claiming the Halfling Quarter NW-DIRTSMWZH

Help Fair Dennia Underbough and her halfling clan deal with a major bandit problem on Sloping Street.

- Puzzle, Light combat, Exploration, Humor
- Run time 15-17 minutes

The Quest is also eligible for "Daily Foundry" rewards.

Now updated to Version 1.1

Bug fixes, additional Lore, and Difficulty.

- Added some hints to find the gate key
- Made the end boss more difficult and less buggy

screenshot_2013-09-27-05-51-17_zps52d71a61.jpg

Update to Version 1.2
- Fixed: spelling, grammatical, and punctuation error
- Added new hints to find the gate key
- New side quest and new area to explore
- More combat (optional)

Update to Version 1.3
- New Lore, Characters, Side Quest
- Easter egg content

screenshot_2013-10-02-04-18-59_zpsa92cf9c4.jpg

Update to Version 1.4
- Back Door passage to the courtyard added.
- Kill the Bandit Queen Sub-boss

Bandit Queen
screenshot_2013-10-02-04-17-23_zps5d8305cb.jpg

screenshot_2013-10-07-04-30-11_zps7c0b7a93.jpg
Try my Foundry: Claiming the Halfling Quarter NW-DIRT5MWZH
Sequel: The Return to Sloping Street NW-DACVPHGHW
Part 3: The Merchant's Tower NW-DC3LB6TZ9
Post edited by boudiccia on

Comments

• Options
    ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hello Boudiccia

I just played your quest. The combat part was very easy, maybe even too easy, but then I'll know for sure after I'll test it with my alt ;). The hard part was searching for beacons - call me dumb, but where is the 2nd one? I could not find it.
    I liked dialogs, and would like to see more of them, and more of ...everything. In other words, this quest could be a bit longer :)

P.S. Dont feel obligated, but you can review my foundry if you want to ("Farming crypts fun").
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for the review ulviel.

Claiming the Halfling district is a puzzle map where the difficulty comes from the puzzles and not the combat. The combat is just to advance the storyline. The second beacon is in the upper level of the first building. Jumping is required to reach it but you don't need to find it to complete the story.

I just ran your foundry Farming Crypts fun. Found it rather enjoyable except of the abundance of stacked encounters. Please consider spacing them out so they can be killed one at a time. After reaching the mid-point in finding the guild I was able to utilize the guards in that room to help kill the trash mobs. This helped a lot. The spiders would have been a real pain without the guards to help.

Really liked the undead horses. These were not bad jokes. Very well placed and probably the best part of the whole map. Too bad there was no beating a dead horse pun.

The story of the mad cleric was also very good as I can completely relate to cleric going insane when people step out of the circle.
  • Options
    gravman213gravman213 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hey there,

I played your foundry mission Claiming the Halfling Quarter. I must say i enjoyed it very much. Love the story(fighting was a little easy)
    I love the way you had to find some of the encounters it stumped me for a bit.. Great Job
    enjin-488779-1284698876493137429-blue.png
  • Options
    rumrunner711rumrunner711 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hey Boudiccia,
    Thanks for playing my quest, PMing my review of yours now.
    My Foundry Quests: Seeking Review Trades!

Campaign: Antiquarian Adventures - NWS-DISZWH28K
    Ch. 1: A Merchant's Woes - NW-DP6ZY8GG6 -LINK
  • Options
    ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hey, its me again,
    Ty for reviewing my foundry, I'm glad that you liked it. Some encounters are stacked because I play mostly DC (but you figured that much out by yourself for sure) and you know... Daunting Light ;)
    Since english is not my first language I didn't even know there is some beating a dead horse pun... need to google it...

I'm going to play your quest again with my alt, this time I won't skip anything.

And I'm waiting for the next part of course :)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    ulviel wrote: »
    Hey, its me again,
    Ty for reviewing my foundry, I'm glad that you liked it. Some encounters are stacked because I play mostly DC (but you figured that much out by yourself for sure) and you know... Daunting Light ;)
    Since english is not my first language I didn't even know there is some beating a dead horse pun... need to google it...

I'm going to play your quest again with my alt, this time I won't skip anything.

And I'm waiting for the next part of course :)

Yes, the Beating a dead horse pun exists. It is used in the context of an over done situation or argument. In the dungeon you should save this pun for the last horse you kill. Name the horse Enough already <you a beating a dead horse>.
  • Options
    phoeniciansonphoenicianson Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Playing through your quest as we speak, I will edit this post to include my notes once I have completed your quest. Could you please reciprocate and play through mine and review to help it gain some traction, see quest here:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?496621-New-Foundry-The-Fall-of-the-City-of-Grumura

Thanks!

EDIT:

I just finished it... it took a while to find that bandit group with the key. For a minute, I thought I "broke" the quest. I have PM'ed you my notes so any suggestions or corrections are not on your forum post for the quest.

Great job. I would consider thickening up the encounters a bit to possibly include a standard. I played through with my main, Level 60 Mage. Even with the encounters scaled up to Level 60, it was not very challenging. Although, I understand that is not your focus, as I have read the responses to other posts suggesting the same adjustment, I believe that unanimously it is something you should consider.

Wonderful job! Please remember to play through mine as well, it is short, like yours! I look forward to your review in game and comments on the forum page for my quest as well. Thanks. Remember to check your PM for my notes.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Update to Version 1.2
    - Fixed: spelling, grammatical, and punctuation errors
    - Added new hints to find the gate key
    - New side quest and new area to explore
    - More combat (optional)

Please try this foundry if you have not played it yet.
  • Options
    eskarineeskarine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Going to tackle it right now.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could play 'Absence of light' in return - the link is in signature.

EDIT:

So I am done now. Like I said in my review, it was a nice, small put-together quest. I had fun looking for the light beacons and I didn't mind a little back-and-forth running on the map (and I usually do).

The stuff I noted down:
    - First objective has a typo? "via theOverworld map" - words are mashed together (though you might have done it because you ran out of characters? If so, rephrase it a little).
    - Quite a lot of dialogue options were in orange or yellow in inappropriate places. Orange option marks the end of dialogue tree, so if you put a player reponse into orange and it's NOT the end of the the dialogue, it confuses people. And if someone plays in party, then it screws up party play (if one person ends the dialogue interaction, it closes for all the party members as well).
    - Shady dealer has white eyebrows and dark hair - nothing bad, but just a personal nitpick of mine.
    - You keep writing 'NeverWinter' instead of 'Neverwinter'?
    - A thing about your dialogues in general, you sometimes start words with uppercase letters, it seems very random.
    - I can't really judge the map becuase I think it was a pre-made one without many changes in it (sorry, not sure here, never used that map). I know I noticed that the final door you leave through is not aligned perfectly with the building.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I will try to fix the typos for the next version. Thanks for the review.
    - The base of the map is premade with empty street and an open courtyard with some steps leading into a tower. All the other buildings are things I added.

I am working on your foundry now and so far I have only completed 1 of 4 books (worlds) in about an hour. You should really consider making this into a campaign instead of a single mega quest. I will try to get to the rest tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Umm, yeah, there are no overworld map transitions (yet!) so it's impossible to leave the quest and come back. I am adding transitions with next update.

And the quest IS split - you do 2 books in one quest and 2 books in the sequel (which is not published yet). Splitting them into 4 parts didn't really work, plot-wise.
    The base of the map is premade with empty street and an open courtyard with some steps leading into a tower. All the other buildings are things I added.
    Oh, is it? Then I take it back, the map looked really well :)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    How long does it take for a foundry to get Eligible for daily quest?

This foundry has been done 16 times with an average speed of 16 minutes. I heard somewhere the requirement was 15 plays of 15 minutes.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    5 reviews, 20 plays, 15 minutes minimal on average.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Well I have the reviews. I just need a few more people to play it now.

Check your inbox eskarine.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Updated to Version 1.3
    - New Lore, Characters, Side Quest
    - Easter egg content

Please play this foundry so it become eligible for Daily.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, sorry, I was away at work. Replied.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Update to Version 1.4
    - Back Door passage to the courtyard added.
    - More combat for those that don't like puzzles
    - Kill the Bandit Queen Sub-boss
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Claiming the Halfling District is now eligible for dailies. This will probably be the final version unless someone reports some bugs. Thank you to all who helped review this.

Time to start working on the sequel.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I am still willing to do review trades. So if anyone runs mine I will run theirs as a trade.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Here is a little preview of what I have been working on for the next part of the story.

Inside the Sloping Street Citadel.
    HalflingTower2_zps16655e00.jpg
  • Options
    feuygarfeuygar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 102 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Hi,

I enjoyed your quest, a sweet story with a twist that suited the halfling characters. I could see the creative effort you'd put into building the dilapidated slums and really enjoyed the "roof tops" area - maybe you could expand on that a little?
    The city quarter had really come to life.

Someone had mentioned that the combat was too easy. Maybe at the beginning but my L38 cleric had some tough fights once in the central courtyard, so please don't add more mobs there.

I noticed a few typos etc. listed below.

Fair Denna - first conversation: you said contact but I think you meant contract?
    You could use the function in the dialogue editor to use the players name; call it name street.
    Sleepy peasent - says 'mind theif' twice, should be thief and the conversation ended before I had read the last page.
    Just after you enter the main square through the portcullis there's a pillar in the stairs on the right side.
    Also, I was able to get into the main courtyard by going behind some of the buildings (kind of underneath the back of where the stairs are)
    Final Denna conversation - theives = thieves, maybe reword "without their leader the bandit" to "without their leader they", typo in children.

How to make it a sold 5 stars? Expand some of the early conversations, they felt a bit short and rushed, add in some music to key combat fights, add some lighting and fx to improve the atmosphere. Other than that, you're there - and the next part looks interesting too.

You mentioned that you're up for a review in return. I'm hoping that you'll like my story and scenery building also :)

422 - Yeenoghu's Bride

NW-DUMTEJ9KZ

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?411131-Proud-to-present-for-reviews-422-Yeenoghu-s-Bride
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    The sequel is now live: The Return to Sloping Street.

Version 1.0 - Three new maps, lots of combat, explore the sloping street citadel, defeat the witch, see a birds eye view of all of Neverwinter from the top of the Citadel.

Could use a few reviews.

screenshot_2013-10-20-09-03-00_zpsfdd3edd8.jpg
    screenshot_2013-10-20-09-03-53_zps8cf77911.jpg
  • Options
    phoeniciansonphoenicianson Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Played through the quest, definitely a departure from the last one, very light dialogue. The customization of that first map is of course very well done, it is very much like a puzzle! I loved it! I think that the second map is a prefab, if not, amazing job! If so, still amazing job integrating the encounters. I only have a few notes for you, and I hope you consider my invitation to the Scribes Enclave, if you are not already a member, I posted the information on my response to your post on my quest's thread.

1. Dania Dialogue: Familiar is spelled incorrectly. I cannot remember which box, but it was a player response having to do with the reference to the teacher that follows you, Navella.
    2. Navella, Box 2: Entrance spelled incorrectly.
    3. On that larger space in the second map, right at the door to the Citadel, you should consider adding a Guardian Node in the center to make the encounters aggro the player. The section of that map was so large, that I could pick them off group by group
    4. In the main Citadel, the last map before you end back up on the final map for the final battle, where you have to find a way out. The floor to the right and left of the stairs, as well as the center on the other side of the stairs, is flickering because the details are at the exact height and overlap. To stop the flickering, you should move the details up or down .02, I think, it may be a bit more, but that is generally the median.
    5. Finally, at the last battle, set the NPCs to Non-Combat near where the Encounters spawn because the Encounters were attacking the NPCs instaed of me.

Overall, great job, nice follow up to the first quest! I thorougly enjoyed the playthrough!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for the review phoenicianson. I just signed up for that Scribes' enclave guild.

Some of the rooms are my own creations while others are premade. I want the dungeon to feel like someplace you have never been before. The curved tunnel at the start is like nothing else in the entire game.

1 & 2 I will get those misspellings with the next version update

3. The mobs in the large map are mostly optional. The only mob in that room that has to be killed is the one at the top of the stairs. The Big Bertha elite solo mobs are just there for flavor and also as kind of a sight gag.

4. I will try to fiddle with the floor tiles to try to stop that flickering

5. I want the NPC to get attacked because you supposed to be saving her. It is not supposed to be an overly difficult fight either. These are just the witch's minions. The big fight with the witch was in the tower and these battles on the outside are just a mop up operation.
  • Options
    queenzulqueenzul Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Sorry! I tried to leave a rating, but I did it with my husband and when he clicked the exit our games crashed out. I really loved the setting and the sky. The end boss mob had a male voice, but looked like a woman. The very beginning had too many question marks for me to figure out who to talk to. Pretty easy- very solo friendly. :)

I really enjoyed the storyline.