test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Want to run a really good Foundry Quest?

msrebel1972msrebel1972 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2013 in The Foundry
If you want to run a good Foundry Quest with a great story line and really cool custom maps with lots of detail check out Lost Little Lambs. Short Code: nw-ddz00av62. The dialogue alone is worth the time. It's really well written and entertaining. If you're a story lover, you won't be disappointed. And, no, I am not the author. He doesn't advertise his quests. But there's no reason I can't. Check it out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by msrebel1972 on

Comments

• Options
    groshiegroshie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I agree. :)
    Rescue in Rainwall, ID: NW-DRQK3HKVV
    Chef's Challenge, ID: NW-DGTKIBVF3
    The Dreamfall Campaign, ID: NWS-DEB7Z9IJC (3 Quests)
    Ogre: For the win!, ID: NW-DR5O3PD63
    Cults and Culture, ID: NW-DCLSFYSQ2
  • Options
    runis12runis12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Good ol' Raph! He sure doesn't advertise his quests, but he pours a lot of love into his art. :D Check out this quest!
  • Options
    karitrkaritr Member Posts: 662 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Hey msrebel, I absolutely adore this quest and have played it through twice.

I did mention it recently on the 'What are you playing?' thread, but feel free to endorse it there and add any other quests you enjoy playing. The authoring community tend to be generous to their peers, but obviously they are very busy creating for our benefit, so it would be great to get more players in there.

The thread has pointed me in the direction of quests that don't show up in the Foundry catalogue - which was the whole point really.

Back to Lost Little Lambs. I played it through twice now :) The first time to give requested feedback and I had gotten about 5 mins in and I was really wishing I could just play it (instead of going through each dialogue option to check for continuity etc.). I was really amazed with the way Raph had changed conversations dependent on quest objectives - it isn't often in Foundry quests that you get such a deep sense of involvement in the story and characters. It's quite a feat raph pulled off.
  • Options
    aaldaemonaaldaemon Member Posts: 94
    edited August 2013
    I'll be sure to check this out next, I love good dialogue, so I'm intrigued.
    Assassination Contract NW-DOD6JMS5H - story + combat. Trading reviews.
    I'm improving my quest on an almost daily basis - so if you come back to it after a week or so, it won't be quite the same!
  • Options
    winterswitchwinterswitch Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yes, this one is every bit as awesome as the OP says. Tons of care was put into this quest. As an author, It's humbling to play it.
    The Green Zone (NW-DP66H66F6): Train at a top-secret Goblin military installation.
    Hive Mind (NW-DN9YKEVUS): Get inside a crashed alien ship to discover its purpose.
    Absolute Zero (NW-DOVUXHT8P): Activate a massive teleportation machine to pursue an evil mastermind.
  • Options
    msrebel1972msrebel1972 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    runis12 wrote: »
    Good ol' Raph! He sure doesn't advertise his quests, but he pours a lot of love into his art. :D Check out this quest!
    I'll be sure to check it out
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I'll be sure to check it out
    Sorry, Runis, I misread your comment! It's too early for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    raphaeldisantoraphaeldisanto Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So... uh, yeah.

*sheepish grin*

Regular forum types will have seen my handle around here and there, and people in the nw_foundry channel will know that I'm pretty much always around, shooting my mouth off about stuff.

But yes. I don't just talk. I do actually make stuff in the Foundry. Lost Little Lambs is the first quest in my campaign, A Noble Burden.

Full disclaimer: msrebel is a friend of mine and when she ran my quest she said.. Well, the conversation (abbreviated and paraphrased) ran something like this:

her: Why aren't you promoting this?
    me: Because I don't do the promotion thing. It's not why I make stuff, you know that.
    her: I know, I know, but it's a shame. It should have its own thread.
    me: Well, you know me, I'm not going to blow my own trumpet like that. If you think it should have a thread, you make one.
    her: I bloody well will, then!

I didn't think she'd actually do it!

But I guess she did. Anyway, in all honesty, credit should really go to my faithful friends and beta testers who painstakingly went through and tested my maps, my encounters and my dialogue. Obviously, I got feedback during the alpha and beta phases on whatever the testers felt needed to be changed, but primarily, this is who helped me with certain specific aspects.

Dialogue and storyflow: DeeSauter, eskarine, karitr.

Maps and Encounters: apocrs9180, groshie, nyghoma, saerrael, Tynril.

General testing: lovepeas, runis12, Stormkitten.

And everyone in the nw_foundy in-game chat channel and the Foundry vent channel for their constant great advice and tips!

Testing dialogue is a laborious task in LLL because there's almost 800 lines of NPC dialogue spread across more than 70 conversations in the quest, and many different conversation options and possible responses. There's two full multi-conversation romances (one male, and one female), and one half-romance flirtatious relationship with a male supporting character. Also, I changed two NPCs' names towards the end of development and that necessitated a completely new round of dialogue testing to make sure all of the names that should be changed, were changed.

Every map (And there's 14 total, 11 uniques) is hand-crafted with more than a few of them butting up against the 1500 asset limit. My map testers were no less diligent than my dialogue testers at going through, giving suggestions and working on trying to break my geometry and defeat my copious use of invisible walls. I should probably go take some screenshots... hehe

So thanks so much to you guys, and thanks to you folk who don't know me and who've posted nice things about the quest. The response so far has been amazing!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    karitrkaritr Member Posts: 662 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    How about...instead of thinking of it as 'promotional' you consider it 'informational'?

Word of mouth is probably still the best form of advertising, but players won't be able to pass the word on of they don't know your quest exists :p
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Haha. Well, that's not exactly my style.

But I did take some screenshots. I'll add them soon :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    No Raph, it's not your style. Which is why I did it. It's a great quest. People should have the chance to enjoy it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Okay, here's some screenshots. I'm only allowed to put 4 screenshots per post, so 4's all you're getting, hehe. I might put more up if there's interest, but I didn't want to spam you guys.

First up, Mathilda's House:

Mathilda's an acerbic old halfling who's old enough to remember the Wailing Death and Nasher Alagondar the first time around. She lives in a little cottage in the village of Feldhaven and this is her place:

MathildasHouse3_zpsea5c6b85.png

Next, Harrow's Peak:

Once a shrine to the Forest Father, Silvanus, Harrow's Peak was overrun by the Jagged Tusk orc tribe many years ago. Orc banners and structures now cover the once-pristine steps and plinths.

HarrowsPeak1_zps2132b115.png

The Frostridge Estate:

Abandoned when the Frostridges were exiled from Neverwinter during the time of the Wailing Death, the Frostridge Estate has lain unused and dormant for a hundred years.

FrostridgeEstate3_zps6886a37b.png

And finally, The Frostridge Crypt:

The final resting place of every generation of Frostridge until their exile, the Crypt has held onto its secrets for the past hundred years. Crumbling and ancient, its pillars and ceilings are ready to collapse at the slightest provoation

FrostridgeCrypt4_zps391ac2ac.png
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]