test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unlock Door

radford64radford64 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
edited August 2013 in The Foundry
Okay, what's happened to this? I stopped work on a level a month or two ago. I went back to it today and every single locked door can be opened before I get to the objective. Which means the player can walk straight to the end of the quest without doing any of it.

How do I fix this, and why has it changed?
Post edited by radford64 on

Comments

• neverwinter1776neverwinter1776 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ok, "my" best solution is this:

Ingredients:
    1 Static Door
    1 Animated Door (you can tell these as they have the open and closed state of the door in the preview)
    1 Invisible wall (or something to use as the "lock")
    1 Key (ITEM)
    1 Interactable or NPC to "GET" Item (Key) from

For this method, we will be Swapping out the Static door with the Anim door.

Create an "Item" , call it "key" set image, and text for it.
    So place the Static door just right, and then place the Anim door exactly on top of it.
    Set the Static door to "Appear When: Immediately", "Disappear When: When component complete - (Invis wall)"
    Set the Anim door to "Appear When: When component complete - (Invis wall)", "Disappear When: Never"
    Place Invis wall in front of Door and make sure that it can bee seen.
    Set the Invis wall to be "Interactable", AND "Require Item: (Key)
    Now set Invis Wall to "Appear When: Immediately", "Disappear When: This component complete - (Itself)"

Setting the interactable text to what you want also, including "Fail" text. And Naming the Invis Wall something like "Castle Door"

DOne and done, now when they "get" the Item (key), the invis wall will interact, disappear, the static door will be replaced with the Anim door, and they player can now open the door and go in.

Bada-bing, ba-da-boom!

NW1776
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • leinahtanwcleinahtanwc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    radford64 wrote: »
    Okay, what's happened to this? I stopped work on a level a month or two ago. I went back to it today and every single locked door can be opened before I get to the objective. Which means the player can walk straight to the end of the quest without doing any of it.

How do I fix this, and why has it changed?

There are two ways I know of to create locked doors unless something broke it recently.

1. Quest Objective Door - The quest will ask you to open a specific door. This is the only way to have a door directly "require" an item, such as a key, to open/interact.

2. Objective Locked Door - You place the door as you normally would. Then, you double click it and under "Make Visible:Always", make it "Make Visible: When Component Complete". The component acts as a "lock", which once done, unlocks the door. The door is ALWAYS there, so visible is misleading when it comes to doors.
  • artgodartgod Member Posts: 90
    edited August 2013
    put invisible walls around the doors that disappear when objective before the unlock door is complete.

and yes, it is confusing and annoying... half of my doors work fine, and the other half didn't.