test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

best ways to get 'outside' on an indoor map?

artgodartgod Member Posts: 90
edited July 2013 in The Foundry
In my next foundry creation I'm thinking about doing some outdoors type stuff with water planes, etc. The best way I've found to get 'outdoors' from inside of a room so far is to use something like the tower spiral stair map connected to dungeon room so that the doors don't match up in height, and you can exit the room through holes in the wall or up a stairwell at the doorway. Is there other more legit ways to do this type of thing?... I tried playing around with an actual outdoor map but didn't seen the regular indoor 'rooms' in there unless I missed something? I'm wanting a map where you can go both inside and outside in various scenes and sections...

1000x1000 water planes seem useful in this endeavor as does the dwarf bridge since they let you stand on them outside of the regular rooms. Is there a list of somewhere of other type of 'details' that let you do that? I tried some walls turned sideways and that just didn't work well without an invisible wall under them or something.
Post edited by artgod on

Comments

• groshiegroshie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    If I understand you correctly, then you'll need to build from scratch using an outdoor map.
    Place floor tiles and walls around it, with transition doors as entrances/exits.
    Building a custom map takes up a lot of details though, but it can be worth it!
    Rescue in Rainwall, ID: NW-DRQK3HKVV
    Chef's Challenge, ID: NW-DGTKIBVF3
    The Dreamfall Campaign, ID: NWS-DEB7Z9IJC (3 Quests)
    Ogre: For the win!, ID: NW-DR5O3PD63
    Cults and Culture, ID: NW-DCLSFYSQ2
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I use the Netherese platforms a lot for walkable areas (usually for Timers underneath terrain).
  • artgodartgod Member Posts: 90
    edited July 2013
    eldarth wrote: »
    I use the Netherese platforms a lot for walkable areas (usually for Timers underneath terrain).

I'll have to check those out. The drawbridge works too...

I love the water planes since they are 1000x1000 so you can put a lot on them. Thinking about maybe doing a whole quest that is based on waterplanes with different textures (clear, murky, etc.). With them you can sort of create 'rooms' that are huge... and a ground plane of water that is visible yet also slightly transparent so you can hide things under it... Things like a panama canal type of thing as a quest where you have to raise and lower the water levels to achieve certain puzzle solutions or be able to reach certain platforms if you time it right come to mind.... or like a well where you have to solve various puzzles to lower the water level...

There was some quest with the spiral tower thing I played a few days back where they had customized it somehow so that you had all these rooms leading out of the bottom of it... not sure how to do that without maybe a telport or something as a 'door' to give the impression that it opened. The 'solid' water plane on those circle stairs looks awesome.