test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

NOT logic or delayed checks

ash4llash4ll Member Posts: 231 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
Hey there :) Inspired by this I will present you method I used in my quest as a NOT logic for some thingies (actually I used it for delaying something, but I will get to that). I know you can do skillchecks and invert logic there, but not everywhere. So here's how-to:
  1. Make an invisible wall (or any object that can be removed - I wanted something flat), flip it so it has some surface on it.
  2. Place a guard (or any encounter, just be sure where you place it) on top of it. Let's call him Jack.
  3. Set invisible walls Y value something beneath the floor, eg. -50 (too high values can make it fail, didnt check exact numbers)
  4. Set Jacks Y value as -40 (so it spawns just above it but still doesnt spawn on the ground)
  5. Spawn Jack when you want the logic to be applied (can be immediately, doesnt matter)
  6. Set the wall to be visible whenever you don't want something to occur
Therefore you can do something like that: you want to make something happen if dialog prompt has not been reached. So let's create wall/guard under that dialog and make invisible wall disappear if dialog prompt was reached and spawn Jack. Therefore if you need to check somewhere if dialog prompt was not reached, simply check if component complete (Jack).

It can also be used for delayed checks. I - for example - have gauntlet encounter (waves of enemies) but want some of them to be optional (DIFFICULTY SLIDER FTW). Invisible walls <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> me off, because mobs have tendency to jump out of them. So I make it like that: you talk with difficulty checker chick, set "DIFFICULT, LOL", it spawns the wall. Otherwise it's despawned. Then at some other point, we talk with NPC (wall is beneath THIS npc) that spawns the gauntlet and we spawn the Jack (prompt reached). Optional mobs have set, that they spawn after previous are defeated and first one spawns after Jack dies. That way, optional mobs will only spawn if dialog prompt was chosen earlier on.
BTW. For a reminder, if option "disappears" is triggered earlier before "appear", object will appear nevertheless. I checked it hard way.

Other possible use:
- you make someone mad in conversation by choosing an option. Later in some other conversation you have to take some information from that person. If he/she is mad, she'll tell you nothing. Invisible wall spawns immediately, guard spawns at the dialog prompt. Wall disappears if dialog prompt was reached. You can now make for example that NPC will spawn if dialog prompt was not reached (jack defeated). For example maid with flowers to you because you were nice to NPC. Of course you could have achieved that other ways, like spawning by choosing other dialog option, but this way you are sure someone hasn't reached this dialog option.

You can also use this for an OR option. I saw a deadfall method, but it required one thing: a room. There you can do it outside, simply putting invisible walls or objects beneath the floor. Falling under the edge of textures makes immediate death for all encounters. I HOPE IT DOES ON LIVE.

Thank you for reading, I hope you didn't read it all because I'm a terrible writer.
Review trades - Need to trade review? Read first post for further info.
Siegebreaker - NW-DGDPWV2U5 - story about the ambush, escape and great rescue of the city.
I'm a streamer and I know it!
Post edited by ash4ll on

Comments

• Options
    mosby1mosby1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 288 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for sharing.

I'm not sure I followed the explanation fully, but I'll see if I can add an example in the DM's Studio.
    DM's Studio - NW-DHZ5DAV4R
    The Cursed Emerald:
    1. Weird of the Weather-witch -- NW-DEZAK4QPA
    2. The Ambitious Apprentice -- NW-DLRAVW4S4
  • Options
    ash4llash4ll Member Posts: 231 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    If I happen to be in game (@ash4ll) write to me and ill explain what needs to be explained
    Review trades - Need to trade review? Read first post for further info.
    Siegebreaker - NW-DGDPWV2U5 - story about the ambush, escape and great rescue of the city.
    I'm a streamer and I know it!
  • Options
    oggbroxoggbrox Member Posts: 152 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Some of the stuff you are talking about sounds amazing. But my English is too bad to understand it fully. :(
    Youtube-Clips with slow, clear english please! ;)
    Quests I like to share:

A CURIOUS DISAPPEARANCE by Sphecida: NW-DDLEOFL2Q
    A CRY UNANSWERED by obsidianw0lf: NW-DGNBAX3RD
    SIEGEBREAKER by ash4all: NW-DGDPWV2U5