test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

rare crafting tasks inconsistency

kelanoriakelanoria Member Posts: 29 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I may be wrong, but i d expect a rare task to be more interesting than common ones in term of reward, well then here i fail to see the logic :

kdanfq.jpg

8 hours for 400 diamonds and 40xp on a rare task
while running 4 common tasks in the same time span could yield 800 diams and 160xp and even more

why bother with the rare then ?
Post edited by kelanoria on

Comments

• elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kelanoria wrote: »
    I may be wrong, but i d expect a rare task to be more interesting than common ones in term of reward, well then here i fail to see the logic :

8 hours for 400 diamonds and 40xp on a rare task
    while running 4 common tasks in the same time span could yield 800 diams and 160xp and even more

why bother with the rare then ?

You're going to be away from the computer for eight hours. Pick a task.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • kelanoriakelanoria Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    the gateway now gives you access to your crafting even on a cellphone
    besides, the rare tasks pop and change every hour, this is not something you can actually plan cuz your going away or to bed, there are other common tasks that last 6, 12 or 18 hours for that
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    the gateway now gives you access to your crafting even on a cellphone

You seem to expect everyone to have a smartphone.
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I may be wrong, but i d expect a rare task to be more interesting than common ones in term of reward, well then here i fail to see the logic

They come in different times/amounts so that people who don't want to check it every 2 hours can choose what is better for them. For the most part I do agree with you however. I'm only interested in making ADs. Because of that their are only a couple of the rare tasks that are better than the regular ones.

For example at around 12 or 13 leadership you have a chance to get a rare that is 12 hours for 1600 diamonds. But to do it you need a blue resources that requires another 4 hours to get. That puts it at 16h/1600ad which is pretty good. The main problem is that the rare task won't always be available when you are ready to run it. But its a preference thing. I hate checking over a dozen characters every 2 hours. Long tasks cut out the amount of time you need to spend resetting everything.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    Think of it like farmville. The faster ones that require more micromanagement will bear more fruit over time than the ones that you can set and leave.
  • enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have a $8 phone from walmart and if Im not at work/home I dont have access to the gateway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    enderlin50 wrote: »
    I have a $8 phone from walmart and if Im not at work/home I dont have access to the gateway.

Time to get a smartphone :)
  • clortbagsclortbags Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The leadership crafting tree is utterly pointless and needs a complete re-working...

Just wait till you see the not-so-amazing rewards that lie in store for you at max level.
  • adjuchasbrokkadjuchasbrokk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    enderlin50 wrote: »

Does your smart phone assign tasks for you whilst you're asleep or grafting hard at work?
    [Foundry Projects]
    The Sunken Castle
    - NW-DEO4EA5XG -
    - A story driven dungeon crawl! -
    edited June 2013
    Think of it like farmville. The faster ones that require more micromanagement will bear more fruit over time than the ones that you can set and leave.

Usually, but he is right on that particular task. Their are a couple of regular tasks that are 6h/400ad + other stuff. Makes no sense to have a rare task that has a worse rate of 8h/400ad.
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I agree that the lower level ones are basically pointless, but they start to get good later, especially when you have gotten enough Crafting Assets to reduce the time considerably. And when you use the Gateway to keep an Alt. or two crafting Leadership while you play another Toon you can actually go a long way toward covering your Gold and Kit needs just from the assorted crafting missions. And the contents of the Boxes and Barrels? Like getting a free low level Lockbox that you don't need a key to open.

And of course you are forgetting the Great Crafting Equaliser:
    At the Rare level you can add on MORE assets to your project, so, if you dedicate, say four Adventurers to that eight hour Rare project it will quickly become a three(ish, I haven't done the math recently) hour project. Which gives you the higher rate of return you are looking for. Again, that won't matter much at low levels with small rewards, but when you get, say, 1500 copper (I use my Leadership Alt. to supplement the income of other characters who need Potions and such and have been unlucky in what they find, so have been burning through their Gold unusually fast) or two Green Boxes it becomes seriously worth it.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
    edited June 2013
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    At the Rare level you can add on MORE assets to your project, so, if you dedicate, say four Adventurers to that eight hour Rare project it will quickly become a three(ish, I haven't done the math recently) hour project.

While my highest Leadership guy is still only at 16 (I'm slow I know), I have yet to see a Leadership task that let you put more than 2 worker assets in. Except of course the ones were you combine 4 into one upgraded asset. Which tasks are you referring to?
  • kelanoriakelanoria Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    At the Rare level you can add on MORE assets to your project,

hmm while indeed i noticed that with the four other professions, with the screenshot example i provided this is not the case, that particular rare tasks will only allow 2 assets.

leadership is the only profession i m bashing actually, since even at low level the rare tasks reward in leatherworking (the only one i worked on so far) are usually blue items, with indeed more available assets slots and even the possibility to get +2 / +3 items as results. in that case, i dont mind if it s even 8 hours instead of the basic 20 mins for some trash green boots from a common task.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yes, leadership needs a revamp, period.

some of the issues include:
    3 refugees, even at the current low low price of 500 each in the AH, are still far more valuable than spending 6 or 8 or whatever hours to get 800 diamonds for 3 of em. Even with the AH cut, you still get nearly double the diamonds without wasting a crafting slot to earn them... and getting these slaves to sell on the market is more valuable than any other diamond gathering task until very high levels with very good assets (with all blue workers you can do a couple of them that net you over 1600 in a few hours, eventually.... if you have the mats, etc).

The leadership experience (that which levels the leadership crafting branch) is also poorly thought out.... the best xp for ages is the one hour long task to scout a local region or whatever at 40 xp per go per hour. Most of the rest take more than twice as long (as much as 8 or even 12 times longer!!) to get double the xp. Here again until higher levels are unlocked (15 I think??) 40 per hour (out of 25k needed!!! ouch!!!) is about the best you can do, x3 for doing in parallel, or 120 per hour is about it until rank 15. Meanwhile other crafts let you make shirt/pants at 120 in 1/2 an hour by level 12 or so.
  • chthonicmythoschthonicmythos Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0
    edited June 2013
    noroblad wrote: »
    Yes, leadership needs a revamp, period.
    The leadership experience (that which levels the leadership crafting branch) is also poorly thought out.... the best xp for ages is the one hour long task to scout a local region or whatever at 40 xp per go per hour. Most of the rest take more than twice as long (as much as 8 or even 12 times longer!!) to get double the xp. Here again until higher levels are unlocked (15 I think??) 40 per hour (out of 25k needed!!! ouch!!!) is about the best you can do, x3 for doing in parallel, or 120 per hour is about it until rank 15. Meanwhile other crafts let you make shirt/pants at 120 in 1/2 an hour by level 12 or so.

Every other tree scales pretty well for xp (like 800 for mass curing exotic pelts at level 16 I think). Leadership is stuck at 40/hour max or 30/hour if you don't want to mircomanage (war games). I was trying to push to 18 to make a hero, but 17 is going to take so long I think I'm just going to farm refugees on the AH instead. It seems like a better use of the time.