test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Items - How Yo Use & Lose Them?

redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
I am just working on my second Foundry Quest.

Part of it requires the player to collect three plants/herbs.

Now I know bag-space is at a premium (especially for free to play players) so I thought I would then use the three items in a "Herb Preparation" quest.

So I then made the Three Items as "Required Items / Consumed On Use" in the "Herb Preparation" quest.

The Foundry Task-Tracker then flags that up, saying "Each component must be used no more than once".

Is there any way around this?
Is it possible to "lose" the items (other than discarding) in any way prior to leaving the map?

I know I could have the Collection Quests not "Drop" the Items in the first place, but this strikes me as a very crude way around it. When I pick something up for a Quest there really should be an object in my inventory to represent it.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

All The Best
Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
Post edited by redneckronin on

Comments

• Options
    krisst0fkrisst0f Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just use the story to have 3 parallel paths that lead to the next objective when they are all complete. You don't need to have objects in your inventory unless you want to. Make an objective "interact with object" that comes later and acts as if the player has the objects...

Like you said, bag space is at a premium...

Good luck.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    krisst0f wrote: »
    Just use the story to have 3 parallel paths that lead to the next objective when they are all complete. You don't need to have objects in your inventory unless you want to. Make an objective "interact with object" that comes later and acts as if the player has the objects...

Like you said, bag space is at a premium...

Good luck.

Well, that's exactly what I want to avoid doing. I play and write RPG scenarios that are "entertaining" to me, and that means having a basic semblance of realism. If I "pick up" an item, then it needs to go in to my inventory.

Yes, yes, I know the argument - it's a game, and a fantasy MMO at that so a semblance of realism doesn't matter.

Well it does.

Its how we engage with and immerse ourselves in the story, the game world and everything.

All The Best

• Options
    chibidanichibidani Member Posts: 30
    edited June 2013
    items you get from conversations go into your temp bag if your full. But items you pick up from interacting you need space for. also you could duplicate the "Herb Preparation" objects so you can reuse it.
    knowing how the item system works can let us foundry makers use quest items will out hurting our adventure's experience. So you could perhaps have some type of gardener who manages the herbs you can talk to or a monster who protects them you can fight till almost dead and then talk to it to get the herbs or something along those lines so they always go into the temp bag.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    chibidani wrote: »
    items you get from conversations go into your temp bag if your full. But items you pick up from interacting you need space for. also you could duplicate the "Herb Preparation" objects so you can reuse it.
    knowing how the item system works can let us foundry makers use quest items will out hurting our adventure's experience. So you could perhaps have some type of gardener who manages the herbs you can talk to or a monster who protects them you can fight till almost dead and then talk to it to get the herbs or something along those lines so they always go into the temp bag.

Mmmm, thanks for the ideas, and they may be workable in a different story mechanic; but this really is a "go collect these plants from the forest" type affair, and it needs to be like that for the story to make sense.

All The Best