test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Reviewer's Filter (Reviews from Trolls/Unexp players same value as Exp players)

vold316vold316 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
After a week of publishing my quest I decided that I had to advertise it in game and in the forums, because none played it and did a review. So, i found this section of the forum where a lot of people were trading review for review and i decided to reply to threads and review some quests and be reviewed by them, i also made a post about it.
Since there are so many quests out there, this is the only way to have fast reviews.

There are players who have a vast experience in the foundry, because they have created many quests and reviewed a lot of them as well, and in the other hand there are players, like myself who are not experienced enough to because we have joined the game recently.

The problem is that there is not a difference (in game) of a review from an experienced player and an inexperienced player. In my opinion, this is unfair and can actually destroy a good quest, because if you are unlucky, the first 5 or 10 reviews may come from inexperienced players and even worse, a few trolls; and this can destroy a quest, because people are not interested on quests that have 3 or less stars (normally).

An inexperienced player does not know very well what are the limitations and the bugs of the foundry, their review may be biased because of the impression of other players (other reviews), they do not consider the time and effort of the player who created the quest into the review (they do not care whether or not the maps are customized or standard, and obviously they will underrate a quest with a custom map because the standard ones have more details by default), etc.

I have 2 ideas:

1) Not to show the review of others reviewers until that the quest has more than a certain number of reviews (I do not want to put a number).

2) Enable reviews for inexperienced players when they have a little experience on doing reviews and have a general knowledge about how the foundry works and it's limits (considering the number of foundry quest that they have player, if they have a published quest, and their foundry ranking).

Do not discriminate my post because of my poor English (it is not my native language). ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The harder the game, the better."
Post edited by vold316 on

Comments

• imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    vold316 wrote: »
    2) Enable reviews for inexperienced players when they have a little experience on doing reviews and have a general knowledge about how the foundry works and it's limits (considering the number of foundry quest that they have player, if they have a published quest, and their foundry ranking).

This is like with voting, though: Someone with no political background, advanced education, life experience, and who has never even looked at the political program of a party, has the same voting power as someone who meets all those criteria.

If someone doesn't like a quest, they don't like it -- regardless of having or not having an understanding of how the foundry works. As for trolls who give one-star ratings, well, gotta live with that. I feel that most people (anywhere) are fundamentally decent, so in the long run those who are deliberately malicious have no significant impact because they are just a minority.

Their votes are also off-set by the 5-star ratings that foundry authors give each other often when trading reviews. So something that may be a 3-4 stars quest in my eyes gets both dubious 1-star and 5-star ratings, so it probably balances out. You just need a large enough number of votes, admittedly.

Personally, I rarely look at the ratings of the quests I play. I do look at the description and how well-written and intriguing it is. I also mostly give 3 and 4 stars, and to me, 4 stars means "really good, I enjoyed this". But this illustrate another reason why ratings are not very meaningful: there is no generally accepted standard, so where I would give 4 stars, someone else might give 5 stars even though we both enjoyed the quest equally as much. Likewise, I have never given 1 star, I think. But then again, I don't finish quests that would make me want to give 1 star. :)
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • almostcoolalmostcool Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What Imivo said, if your quest is good then trolls really don't matter except in the unfortunate case that you make a quest and it instantly gets bombarded with a wave of 1 star trolls. Even then there is a very likely possibility that it will bounce back. When it comes to reviewing quests on the forums I give 4-5 stars even if in reality I think it deserves something lower. Why? Because why not help a fellow author who is legitimately trying with their rating while also giving them some very constructive feedback. As for quests I play randomly for my dailies, if they are relatively new still and warrant a lower score in my opinion then I won't even bother posting a star rating and instead I'll send them some in-game mail with my thoughts. That way I still give feedback while also averting the calamity that is adding to a 3 star rated quest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Spellthief Trials
    By @Stebss
    Short Code: NW-DM900IFHK
    Tired of Being the Hero: NW-DGTOU4N94
  • foundrymakerfoundrymaker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 253 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Even if you put a notice that "Foundry Authours have NO CONTROL over amount/how many drops, amount of gold, items or class-specific items. REPEAT: Authours have absolutely NO CONTROL over treasure!"

You still get 1 Star reviews "There wasn't enough treasure or drops, your item drops sucked"
  • vold316vold316 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What Imivo said, if your quest is good then trolls really don't matter except in the unfortunate case that you make a quest and it instantly gets bombarded with a wave of 1 star trolls.
    Exactly, that's the problem.
    Even if you put a notice that "Foundry Authours have NO CONTROL over amount/how many drops, amount of gold, items or class-specific items. REPEAT: Authours have absolutely NO CONTROL over treasure!"

You still get 1 Star reviews "There wasn't enough treasure or drops, your item drops sucked"

Or course, I am not saying that you will never get reviews like that one, also you can't make a quest which is enjoyable for everybody. My point is, when someone creates a quest and publishes it, he is looking for useful reviews, and that kind of review comes from experienced players. So, the first 10 or 15 reviews should be limited to those who have experience doing quests and reviewing quests. Don't you agree with that? ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The harder the game, the better."