test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Elegant solution for Cryptic to address the "wipe" concerns at the end of Open Beta

lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I believe that an alternate solution to the numerous "wipe" requests by beta testers concerning game exploits, bugs, etc is to hyper-inflate Neverwinter's economy after its official release.

The idea is simple... Hyper-inflate all of the game's content so that all of the current beta currency, gear, etc is worthless once Neverwinter is officially released. MMORPGs have successfully done this numerous times when releasing new expansion packs.

You take all of the best gear and devalue it by releasing much easier to acquire gear that has twice as good stats. You devalue all of the current in-game currency by releasing a new currency type that is used to purchase all of the higher performance equipment.

This is a tried and true solution to level the playing field with new and existing players when a MMORPG moves into a new phase of development without wiping everyone's characters. This solution solves all of the issues raised by the testing community concerning the numerous game bugs and imbalance issues discovered during open beta testing that negatively affected Neverwinter's economy.

Neverwinter is currently in open beta with game bugs and game imbalances expected to be discovered and addressed. Cryptic has stated numerous times that it will not have a wipe between open beta and Neverwinter's official release. Cryptic/Perfect World has blurred the lines between game testing and game release by accepting real world money for in-game currency (Zen).

Hyperinflation after Neverwinter is released is the best solution to address all of these issues.
12.jpgRanger.jpg
Post edited by lltsnwn on

Comments

• ebloodzebloodz Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Or just raise the level cap to 90 or so, with appropriate equipment development?

Boom down goes the value of lvl 60 items, and everyone has more to do.
  • riotwarriorriotwarrior Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree. Maybe when Gauntylgrim releases, that will be the solution to the "Caturday" catastrophe. Great advice!
  • elawynelawyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    /disagree.

Those of us that are playing as Cryptic intended (and paying cash) are then being negatively impacted.
  • sinistrad1sinistrad1 Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    /disagree...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    ebloodz wrote: »
    Or just raise the level cap to 90 or so, with appropriate equipment development?

Sure that will work as long as you add a new in-game currency that is used to purchase gear for the level 60+ gear.
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • riotwarriorriotwarrior Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elawyn wrote: »
    /disagree.

Those of us that are playing as Cryptic intended (and paying cash) are then being negatively impacted.

Not exactly. Because if Gauntylgrim released in this manner (hence the 2 Grym coins you probably have in your bag), it would make this go a lot smoother. They don't necessarily have to "jack up the prices", but release better gear with Gauntylgrim that's just as easy to get as all the others, maybe with a few mounts and companions aswell. Therefore, I see no negative effect.
  • jmerithewjmerithew Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    /disagree.

Would you rather have a wipe and lose everything? This way you retain your lvl, cosmetic items, and have a headstart on the new content. I was in favor of a wipe, but this is actually a pretty great idea. And even without it the gear you paid money for is going to become obsolete eventually anyway. So I don't see why this would be an issue.
  • ehraehra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

lltsnwn wrote: »
    MMORPGs have successfully done this numerous times when releasing new expansion packs.

You take all of the best gear and devalue it by releasing much easier to acquire gear that has twice as good stats.

Increasing the level cap would require all new content and class upgrades to go with it. Increasing the stats on gear would require a huge rebalancing of the game. You compared this to expansion releases, well expansions typically go through a year or more of development. It's definitely a potential solution for the future, but it's not a viable one at this moment.
  • levofedlevofed Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Seems legit if you just raise the cap and add a different currence for 60+ as some have stated thus washing all of the hyperinflation the current level 60 gear/ items have created.
  • glanniganglannigan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 463 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Or just stop obsessing about everything and enjoy the game for what it is, a fun FREE MMO with a Dungeons & Dragons theme.
  • sumeragisansumeragisan Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Or just make a new world?
  • braddassbraddass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 108
    edited May 2013

That does nothing to address the hundreds of millions of AD the exploiters have hoarded.

If no character wipe, they need to at least have a wealth wipe. Limit each account to 5,000,000 AD and 500 gold, make all the current purples BoP ... that would go a long way toward limiting the damage.
    I am a Lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)
    edited May 2013
    /disagree.

The real world money used to purchase Zen which is then used to buy in-game features such as additional character slots, etc would be already purchased using the current game economy and would be grandfathered into the hyper-inflated game economy.
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
    edited May 2013
    ehra wrote: »
    Increasing the level cap would require all new content and class upgrades to go with it. Increasing the stats on gear would require a huge rebalancing of the game. You compared this to expansion releases, well expansions typically go through a year or more of development. It's definitely a potential solution for the future, but it's not a viable one at this moment.
    A lvl increase isn't viable, but making Gauntylgrim gear substantially better than what's out, and tweaking the content to compensate, wouldn't be as hard.
  • steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hyperinflation is a good solution on paper, but this punishes people who invested in the Founder's Packs. It would mean that they should throw all the currency obtained through the game. Also, it would whack the Zen/AD exchange by a ton.
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
    edited May 2013
    steppenkat wrote: »
    Hyperinflation is a good solution on paper, but this punishes people who invested in the Founder's Packs. It would mean that they should throw all the currency obtained through the game. Also, it would whack the Zen/AD exchange by a ton.
    Yeah, unfortunately they've let it get to a point where there is no perfect solution, it's a matter of what's going to enable them to retain players. Every proposed solution pisses off some segment of people.
    edited May 2013
    braddass wrote: »
    That does nothing to address the Hundreds of Millions of AD the exploiters have hoarded.

If you take all of the best gear available at the end of open beta, double its stats and then create a NEW post-release currency that is used to buy this new gear you effectively devalue all of the "Hundreds of Millions of AD that exploiters have hoarded". MMORPGs have done this for years every time a new expansion is released.
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
    edited May 2013
    If you take all of the best gear available at the end of open beta, double its stats and then create a NEW post-release currency that is used to buy this new gear you effectively devalue all of the "Hundreds of Millions of AD that exploiters have hoarded". MMORPGs have done this for years every time a new expansion is released.
    Yeah, if they wanted to stop the founders from being upset they could give them a headstart on this currency too. While Founder AD didn't help the broken economy, it wasn't the core issue.
  • ehraehra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jmerithew wrote: »
    A lvl increase isn't viable, but making Gauntylgrim gear substantially better than what's out, and tweaking the content to compensate, wouldn't be as hard.

That would absolutely be far easier than adding 30 levels worth of new content, but I think it'd still be a lot of work. I kind of doubt readjusting all of the endgame encounters (and maybe even midgame encounters) and potentially reworking all of the player stat scaling so PvP doesn't also get screwed up is something Cryptic's prepared to do right now.
  • elawynelawyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not exactly. Because if Gauntylgrim released in this manner (hence the 2 Grym coins you probably have in your bag), it would make this go a lot smoother. They don't necessarily have to "jack up the prices", but release better gear with Gauntylgrim that's just as easy to get as all the others, maybe with a few mounts and companions aswell. Therefore, I see no negative effect.

You are assuming a lot. My main is only level 52.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    This isn't actually a terrible idea, as long as newer gear becomes bind on pickup, and silent tardninjas can't roll "need" on gear for other classes.
    edited May 2013
    ehra wrote: »
    That would absolutely be far easier than adding 30 levels worth of new content, but I think it'd still be a lot of work. I kind of doubt readjusting all of the endgame encounters (and maybe even midgame encounters) and potentially reworking all of the player stat scaling so PvP doesn't also get screwed up is something Cryptic's prepared to do right now.
    Oh agreed, with the horrible balance issues among other things that have yet to be addressed it doesn't seem like they're going to do much of anything. That's why I'm pretty much done playing at this point. However, I'm going to remain active in the community to help with the discussion to improve the state of the game. If they can get things straightened out I may reinstall
    edited May 2013
    steppenkat wrote: »

If you purchased a Founder's Pack you would also get an appropriate amount of new currency for the hyper-inflated game economy. I think that Founder's Packs should continue to give it the same level of benefit it currently has.
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • raal1raal1 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jmerithew wrote: »
    Would you rather have a wipe and lose everything? This way you retain your lvl, cosmetic items, and have a headstart on the new content. I was in favor of a wipe, but this is actually a pretty great idea. And even without it the gear you paid money for is going to become obsolete eventually anyway. So I don't see why this would be an issue.

Because those are the only 2 solutions?

Most people's panties aren't in a bunch over this issue. There's a small percentage of the population running around screaming that the sky is falling. When in fact Cryptic doesn't need to do anything to further fix this issue. The economy will fix itself. It isn't nearly as bad as all the people freaking out are making it out to be.
  • vikinggamervikinggamer Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am not sure elegant is the word you are looking for.

All die, so die well.
    edited May 2013
    I am not sure elegant is the word you are looking for.

Compromise solution? I picked elegant because it allows Cryptic to honor its pledge not to wipe at the end of open beta and Neverwinter's release while addressing many of the beta tester's concerns about a broken game economy.
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • drussivdrussiv Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

But people will still have millions of AD...
    edited May 2013
    drussiv wrote: »
    But people will still have millions of AD...

New superior gear would be purchased using a new post-release game currency. (AD+, etc)
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
    edited May 2013
    New superior gear would be purchased using a new post-release game currency. (AD+, etc)
    Yeah, without a new currency this plan doesn't really solve much.
  • gillityrgillityr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    So we need another type of currency? The dozen or so forms of currency aren't enough?

Fix the mess, don't patch in more band-aids.