test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Who will occupy this game in a few months?

Comments

• Options
    demetrius94demetrius94 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It really depends on how quickly Cryptic releases new content. The ranger is rumored to hit 60 days after release, I don't play many MMORPGs but that seems pretty slow. Plus there's all the bugs and balancing issues, and that's gonna take a while.
    A lot of players will burn through the content because, well...it's easy to burn through the content. I think a lot of people will come back a couple of months down the road when there is more content, classes and the balancing and bug issues are resolved.
    I'm almost done with my Rogue, maybe a week left at most. I might roll a CW after that, but we'll see. And I'll definitely come back for the Ranger release.
  • Options
    mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mai0 wrote: »
    idk if I'll stay on this game. there's a lot of exploiting going on and I'm tired of it..so I may just stick w/ pwi since I've been there for years already. It might be a broken game too..but at least its harder to exploit.

Exploits at launch are quite common, being this F2P you can just wait for them to be fixed and eventually come back when they did it
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    infi321 wrote: »
    So no, I dont agree with you.

You don't have to. It's been about 25 years since I needed anyone's permission to buy something that I wanted. :p

I have no issues with how you spend (or not) your money. I just don't get why you are so concerned with how others spend theirs. Be happy we got the HotN packs as it will help to fund the upkeep and future development. Besides, you could and can try out Neverwinter before handing over any cash. All those $60 boxed games? Those you have to buy blindly. But with NW I knew exactly what I was getting, and I never regretted it.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    Of course I can. I have zero regrets, and I spent way more on this game than just the $200 for the HotN founder pack. If I stopped playing right now, it would already have been a good purchase based on the hours of genuine fun I got out of the game since the 25th. I can't say the same for the countless $40-60 boxed games I have bought that I was done with after 2-10 hours each. NW is in better shape now than many of those so-called releases. The game will probably save me quite a bit money over the next few months.

I have also spent more than $200 on various CEs of games over the years, so this isn't really very unusual. Heck, I have pledged significantly more to Kickstarter projects for games, too. And you know? Two hundred is two evenings out in a decent restaurant. As with everything you buy that is non-essential (and most everything is), it all depends on how much value you personally get out of it.

Ditto, not regretting it in the least. Having a blast, am 60 with one and she has a gs over 9000, and still plan on doing a lot more. If they get rid of the power-leveling foundry missions (don't care people do it, but honestly those people won't be long term players, and it just clogs up and buries the good ones), add more looks, and add more paragon paths and classes, i'll play even more. As it is, just having the CW as the only non-healing caster, with one paragon path, that limits my urge to do alts, but i'm having fun with her, and going through stories people do.

Heck, i still play STO and CO off an on, although with CO i don't as much as i enjoyed City of Heroes more, and with that gone, it hurts a bit.

My bigger regrets game wise are the collectors editions of games like SWtoR and FFXIV, and various other games that i bought into the hype and didn't enjoy as much.
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It really depends on how quickly Cryptic releases new content. The ranger is rumored to hit 60 days after release, I don't play many MMORPGs but that seems pretty slow..

A new class and content two months slow?? WoW patches are at least three months apart, and never, ever have new classes. Those go to expansions, and not even every one. Only death knight and monk have been added in the close to a decade the game has been out. NW will have beat that once Warlock and Ranger come out, and if they keep up adding more at that rate, well, it will be great.
  • Options
    sadmummysadmummy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    munkey81 wrote: »
    Totally differant scenario. As MMORPG history, everyone knows when the game first comes out there are many things that need to be dealt with, and they all are in order of importance to the game makers. If they shut down the client, and patched all the whines, nerfs and buffs people are talking about, it would be like every other game out there. Instead of crying about everything, if you feel something is a bug. Report it, and move on. You (in general) not being able to clear a dungeon because "you" cannot figure out how to play a class, is not a legitimate complaint.

Well, your example would indeed not be a problem the company can solve. But the awful cash system, that destroys any sense of character progression late game is. And we need to say it. Or the LFG, and pvp problems, are more important missing features than bugs, that needs to be said too, so they can improve it.

And what about all the other posts. You want to shut down the forums during 3 months. I am reading lots and lots of interesting psots about the game. Not good or bad ones, just info.
  • Options
    delekii1delekii1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You don't have to. It's been about 25 years since I needed anyone's permission to buy something that I wanted. :p

I have no issues with how you spend (or not) your money. I just don't get why you are so concerned with how others spend theirs. Be happy we got the HotN packs as it will help to fund the upkeep and future development. Besides, you could and can try out Neverwinter before handing over any cash. All those $60 boxed games? Those you have to buy blindly. But with NW I knew exactly what I was getting, and I never regretted it.
    This is the real issue.. people who spend money on the game see it as a positive thing, that they are "supporting the development of the game". People who don't spend money on the game (because they don't see value for money, not because they don't have the money to spend) see the first group as doing DAMAGE to the game by invoking a misplaced sense of entitlement in the developers, and thereby simultaneously lowering the potential standards of the game, and supporting the bad practices of the developers (and more importantly, marketers). The two groups are never going to see eye to eye.

Both groups are utterly necessary to the ongoing development and success of the game. When you have as much complaining as we see here on these forums, the message to be taken isn't that Neverwinter Online has somehow just appealed to a larger group of whiners than other games; that's an utterly asinine viewpoint to take. Every time I see people accuse people of being whingers, I just drop my head in my hands. If Neverwinter is to survive and prosper, make no mistake - the developers need to make changes that change the general tone of the boards. The complaining doesn't come from nowhere, and people who complain aren't generally paying money. It is much easier to make changes that get those people who aren't paying money to start paying money than it is to make changes that make people who are paying money pay yet more money. Those who are already paying are typically happy with what they are getting, and furthermore have some sort of budget in mind already as to what they are happy to pay (you often hear people talking about a "typically" mmo subscription as an idea of what they will pay").

Neverwinter is currently in the honeymoon period of player base, despite all the negativity on the forums. It may go up for a while yet, but eventually new games will come out with more advertising oomph behind them, and it will no longer be able to sustain itself based on the excitement of release alone. By that point, it must be good enough value for money to get a larger player base PAYING than it is right now.

If you really desire the ongoing success of Neverwinter, stop calling for the people whinging on the forums to stop, or to go elsewhere. That is self-defeating. Your game is not better off by those people leaving; it is better off by those people happily staying, and referring the game on to other people. Yes, you are happy with the price points for your own situation - god knows why, but you are. But the fact that other people aren't paying affects your ongoing game enjoyment, even if you can't see it right now.

Let's use another example that has gone to the extreme of this sort of thing: FFXIV

The release of the game was a complete and utter failure; numbers dropped faster than D3 and within a couple of months the game was essentially dead in the water. They replaced the development team, started fixing things, but ultimately, it was never going to survive in its current circumstances.

If so many players hadn't given FFXIV its marching orders, there would have been a false assumption that the game was better than it was by the developers. There was a very small portion of players who continued to play, who continued to support the game, and without those players, the game would probably just have been dumped altogether. However, without the very large portion of players that left the game and took their money with them, the developers could have sat on their laurels and told their superiors that everything was just fine and dandy. As a result of both types of players, the game is being completely remade from the ground up, and the beta is the game that should have been from 1.0.
  • Options
    daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I don't think that the items being sold in the AH are worth 500k-15million AD anyhow. I would hate to think that some upset about market flooding are just irritated that they can no longer profit from a lack of merchandise available.
    Sister Vanity knows if you've been naughty or nice...and heals accordingly.
  • Options
    dragonchow1dragonchow1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You gotta pay big bucks to be equipped and have enough space so you can enjoy this game. .....$250 for a pre launch game that isn't even close to top quality?....Doesn't even have a archer/ranger/hunter type...probably the most popular charactor type and always my first choice.

I can't believe you guys have so much money to speculate with. Must be nice. Me, I was expecting much more out of a Neverwinter title.

The saving grace may be the foundry, I'll check back in a few months and see if that makes the game worthwhile.
  • Options
    therealdestiantherealdestian Member Posts: 92
    edited May 2013
    Have you even read any of these threads?

But why even bring it into this thread...?
    mutharex wrote: »
    Honestly, there are quite a few voices asking for free stuff but whatever. I don't see the 'damage' if people who don't spend a diem leave. What good are they? They just clutter the server. And the 'endgamers' will leave anyway, they always do after a month

In any MMO, players = content and are ergo the most valuable part of the experience. This is a MASSIVELY multiplayer game, after all. Players fill dungeons, guilds, PvP, the AH, etc. A bustling city just isn't the same with few to no players around.

Go check out a dead WoW server to see what this will be like: no one can form any raid groups, the AH is dead or cornered by a lone "tycoon". The experience sucks.

And all of the players who would spend the big bucks on cosmetic mounts and whatnot look around and see that everyone else has them too, ergo they're not special and they'll leave, too.

More players is ALWAYS good for the game. Even if they're not dumping heaps of cash, they're still helping to keep the game world alive and that's what keeps the big spenders spending.
  • Options
    munkey81munkey81 Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sadmummy wrote: »
    Well, your example would indeed not be a problem the company can solve. But the awful cash system, that destroys any sense of character progression late game is. And we need to say it. Or the LFG, and pvp problems, are more important missing features than bugs, that needs to be said too, so they can improve it.

And what about all the other posts. You want to shut down the forums during 3 months. I am reading lots and lots of interesting psots about the game. Not good or bad ones, just info.

I dont see a cash shop being any problem to character progression end game. I am over 10kgs and I have not purchased one piece of gear on the AH, and am clearing end game content just fine, and having a blast while I do it. LFG needs to be fixed, but its not game changing or breaking, not sure how long you have been playing mmo's. But LFG systems never used to exist, and raiding was epic beyond imaginable in any game back in the day. Like I said, if you find a problem, post in the bugs thread, and move on. Go back to playing, if its not fun anymore. Quit, its really that easy
  • Options
    mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    But why even bring it into this thread...?

In any MMO, players = content and are ergo the most valuable part of the experience. This is a MASSIVELY multiplayer game, after all. Players fill dungeons, guilds, PvP, the AH, etc. A bustling city just isn't the same with few to no players around.

Go check out a dead WoW server to see what this will be like: no one can form any raid groups, the AH is dead or cornered by a lone "tycoon". The experience sucks.

And all of the players who would spend the big bucks on cosmetic mounts and whatnot look around and see that everyone else has them too, ergo they're not special and they'll leave, too.

More players is ALWAYS good for the game. Even if they're not dumping heaps of cash, they're still helping to keep the game world alive and that's what keeps the big spenders spending.

Wrong! In F2P more people aren't equivalent to more content, if these people don't spend money. If 500K people that spend 10% of the game income leave, what damage is that going to do? And you must have missed the part where they want to merge all the shards into one. This isn't WoW with its 100 empty servers. This game will be fine when the initial mass is over. Really. Actually it will likely start to improve
  • Options
    beaghan1beaghan1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    if some of whiners and nerf criers move on then I'll probably be here enjoying real foundry quests with storylines.
  • Options
    jnc87jnc87 Member Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    By looking at the massive amount of exploits ruining the economy all the time I wouldn't be surprised if the game died within a few months.

Just look at this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> people has been doing since day one to get over 50m AD...and they're still doing it. I can't believe you are still allowed to share quests.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Sh_Y4jZqaD4
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    delekii1 wrote: »
    This is the real issue.. people who spend money on the game see it as a positive thing, that they are "supporting the development of the game". People who don't spend money on the game (because they don't see value for money, not because they don't have the money to spend) see the first group as doing DAMAGE to the game ...

It isn't black or white, though. I support the game financially, but that doesn't mean I don't feel there is room for improvement. However, I have played many MMOs at release, and from my perspective as a fairly jaded gamer, Neverwinter has fewer issues and is more enjoyable than a lot of the other titles. Recent examples would include SW:TOR and GW2, and also D3, though the latter is not really a MMO. I'm excited about what Neverwinter's future has in store, because I feel that already now it gets a lot of things right. Simply put, I like the game.

If I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't play it, no matter how much I paid for it. To me, time is more valuable than money, because every minute we spend on doing stuff that isn't fun or rewarding (or at least necessary for survival, like work) is a minute that is wasted. We only have a limited number of minutes.

This is why I don't fully understand why some people sit around and complain about the game, how bad it is, how resentful they are of the cash store, etc, but they still play it, still spend time on it. Why not just go and play something else and come back in a month or half a year and see how things are then? It's F2P. There are no subs that make you feel as if you waste money if you don't play all the time.
  • Options
    scan69scan69 Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jnaathra wrote: »
    Right now the game is being exploited like crazy.

There are exploits and tricks to farm T1, T2 and seals. In a few days these items will be worthless. The value of most epic items in general is falling rapidly as more of it hits the AH.

Soon anyone with a few thousand AD can purchase any gear that they like.

However, the people that thrive on acquiring gear and moving through progression will be done.

I see this ending up just like CO and STO. Populated by those interested in community, RP and a slower pace in their day to day MMO experience. The Foundry will become increasingly popular, but The Foundry doesn't give Phat Lewtz

So game on little power gamers.. Game on.. Make everything cheap for the rest of us and then quickly burn out and move on

:o

Wrong, those that will be left are the worst players to play with, scrubs. It will slowly die a death as is SWTOR.

They will have made a **** ton of cash though so technically the game will be heralded a success. But ultimately the loser is the genre, gone are the days of UO and EQ1 where maxing out a character actually meant something meaningful.
  • Options
    ravenidiotravenidiot Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    More end game content is a must to keep this game alive. It has a strong foundation and the foundry offers something most others dont but ENDGAME content. If there is nothing to do after 60 then there is no longevity in this game
  • Options
    brakkennbrakkenn Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Let's be honest though. STO is nowhere near where Neverwinter is in terms of Pay2Win. You can play STO and not pay a cent and still feel like you aren't being hampered by that decision.
  • Options
    holt3holt3 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I will be here for a long time, clearing end-game content and earning my gear having a blast. I'm thankful to say I havent purchased one piece of my gear on the AH, I've earned it all.

If I were a forum moderator in a game like this, or any other MMO for that matter. For the first 3 months the only forum posts would be that of "Bug Report". Anything else would be removed. These forums are flooded with people crying about everything, and clearly, many of us out here are having a blast and loving this game. These forums are a source of laughter and entertainment for me while I'm at work because of the rediculous **** people come up with to cry about on a daily basis.

+1 on this.

Granted, after playing for a bit, I have noticed that most everything costs AD... If everything costs AD, then you're in game currency is actually real money. Either AD prices need to change or some things like respecing, name change, character appearance and **** like that need to change to gold and silver.

My bet is that the price of Zen will drop in the future.

And the OP is right about one thing. There are several different types of MMO gamers. The people that power leveled to 60 the first few days and have already stacked up on awesome gear, will of course be tired of the game by now. Not to mention they have probably skipped and outleveled half of the content. These are the "high octane" gamers. I'm not sure if they get real pleasure out of an MMO, they just run through it without looking. They also seem to have way too much time on their hands if you ask me. These are the people who get on the forums and say the game is boring and they're quitting because they ranked to 60 and have the best gear. And of course they'll ***** about the Zen Shop because that's loot they have to pay for.

Then there's the panzy gamers, who are either too lazy or stupid, and don't want to work too hard, but still want everything a high octane gamer has. I call these obama voters. They ***** and cry on the forums when they don't get what they want.

I'm a semi casual gamer with a job and career. I play how I want, and if I don't like the game, I go somewhere else. I like this game, and if I don't want to pay for something, I'm not going to. And I'm going to live with it. I'm sure as hell not going to get on the forums and ***** and compain like a little child.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    brakkenn wrote: »
    Let's be honest though. STO is nowhere near where Neverwinter is in terms of Pay2Win. You can play STO and not pay a cent and still feel like you aren't being hampered by that decision.

You can play NWN exactly the same way. People get hung up on theoretical issues like the blue wards when tons of folks have already beaten the hardest content in the game without having those allegedly required enchants. There are free players who never spent a cent and who have beaten Castle Never, and who also own hard in PvP. This game is so far away from P2W that I am really and genuinely puzzled why this is even a debate. And I feel trolled whenever someone launches in yet another speech on how they must spend money, when really, they don't.
  • Options
    therealdestiantherealdestian Member Posts: 92
    edited May 2013
    Wrong! In F2P more people aren't equivalent to more content, if these people don't spend money.

I'm pretty sure the dude I'm ripping apart with my rogue or is healing in my dungeon is still providing ME with content, regardless of how much he pays or doesn't pay.
    If 500K people that spend 10% of the game income leave, what damage is that going to do?

Leaving the game dead and empty is bad.

Bad economy, bad queues, bad guild recruiting. Bad, bad, bad...

If you can't understand the ramifications of a game that was designed to have a large number of players playing it NOT having a large number of players playing it, then I'm basically trying to teach algebra to a cat, here.
    This isn't WoW with its 100 empty servers.

No, it's PWE, with it's 20 or so empty servers.
  • Options
    chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I will be here for a long time, clearing end-game content and earning my gear having a blast. I'm thankful to say I havent purchased one piece of my gear on the AH, I've earned it all.

If I were a forum moderator in a game like this, or any other MMO for that matter. For the first 3 months the only forum posts would be that of "Bug Report". Anything else would be removed. These forums are flooded with people crying about everything, and clearly, many of us out here are having a blast and loving this game. These forums are a source of laughter and entertainment for me while I'm at work because of the rediculous **** people come up with to cry about on a daily basis.

And your game would die under those conditions.

Feedback on what features customers want and do not want, as well as the issues they would like straightened out, is just as relevant and sometimes even mroe relevant than simple bug reports.
  • Options
    chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wrong! In F2P more people aren't equivalent to more content, if these people don't spend money. If 500K people that spend 10% of the game income leave, what damage is that going to do? And you must have missed the part where they want to merge all the shards into one. This isn't WoW with its 100 empty servers. This game will be fine when the initial mass is over. Really. Actually it will likely start to improve

Depends on who stays and who leave. The big spenders who keep the servers afloat do not stay around demographically if the game is a ghost town due to most of the others leaving. They are usually around 3-4% of the players tops. This is why it is well understood in the f2p monetized games that the free players are still important.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If you can't understand the ramifications of a game that was designed to have a large number of players playing it NOT having a large number of players playing it, then I'm basically trying to teach algebra to a cat, here.

Meow.

You know, the surreal aspect here is that the game is so crowded that every night the servers lag under the load of users, and lots of people genuinely enjoy their time, create or play foundries, some of which have 60,000+ plays, quest or explore alts, and when you come to the forum you could think the game is on its last leg. The contrast between the in-game atmosphere and the mood on the forum is stark.

But then again, MMORPG forums, and gaming forums in general, always seem to be that way.
  • Options
    flayedawgflayedawg Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The contrast between the in-game atmosphere and the mood on the forum is stark.

But then again, MMORPG forums, and gaming forums in general, always seem to be that way.

What this person said, quoted to reiterate & reinforce truthiness.
    Fare you well
    Let your life proceed by its own designs
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine ...
  • Options
    jbizzijbizzi Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm already at a point where I just login in daily for 30 seconds to pray and get my coin in hopes this game gets fixed. Once I hit 60 my desire to play abruptly reached zero.

Love the combat and graphics. Just baffled at how they implemented money in this game and what costs what.

Really regret spending the $250 that I have on this game. Really regretting it. Definitely will be the last time I pre-order anything.... and Cryptic is on the fast track of joining EA on my game boycott list. I really should have learned my lesson with STO.

This is exactly how you ruin an experience (and this goes far beyond games). Buy your way into and through an idea with limitations and you will inevitably become frustrated and regret that you wasted resources to find a ceiling so quickly.

Games like these are initially about the journey and not the end result. Eventually there will be enough to sustain the game but those who arrived early will not be there to enjoy it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ravenidiot wrote: »
    More end game content is a must to keep this game alive. It has a strong foundation and the foundry offers something most others dont but ENDGAME content. If there is nothing to do after 60 then there is no longevity in this game

I think the various Modules will fill in that void
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    brakkenn wrote: »

Unless you want to respec, that is. Or get more character slots or try a new race. It's about the same, only difference is probably costs of individual items
  • Options
    kaerthuskaerthus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To me what is pretty amazing is the sheer negativity you see in the forums and zone chat over a game that hasn't even left open beta yet.

No MMO is perfect, let alone right of the bat, but NWO got a great start. No current or in development MMO even remotely interests me at the moment, so I'll be here till they kick me out.

Hopefully all these negative whiners will be gone soon and we can merge into a single shard with a great community.
  • Options
    munkey81munkey81 Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    chai23 wrote: »
    And your game would die under those conditions.

Feedback on what features customers want and do not want, as well as the issues they would like straightened out, is just as relevant and sometimes even mroe relevant than simple bug reports.

When EQ 1 came out, Forums were near non-existent, other then guild websites, and Test Server forum. I played EQ 1 for 8 years. They didnt nerf and buff everytime a cry baby player wanted something changed. The GM's were actually in game, and witnessed bugs, and changes themselves, because they used to raid with us, and raided with many of the top tier guilds i.e: Afterlife, Fires of Heaven, Legacy of Steel, Cats In Hats and a fiew others. Just because you "want" something, doesnt mean it should be implemented, if it doesnt fit the Game Makers vision. This is the problem with game makers in this genre, they are listening to much to the player base, and games are dieing off faster then they were released. EQ1 is argueably the most successful mmorpg of all time. Obviously they did something right, but not listening to flame posts and emo cutters.

Everything you want, dont want, want buffed, nerfed, fixed. Can all go in a "Bug Forum". Forums flooded with people having period issues over not being able to clear content, is unnecessary and "that" my friend. Is what is detrimental to games.