test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Odd Install Location

seonsaengnimseonsaengnim Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
First off the game is working fine for me, and it's sort of enjoyable.

So I recently cleared my desktop and deleted the shortcut to Neverwinter. I went to the install directory and wouldn't you know it there was nothing there. The Installer says "C:\Program Files\Cryptic Studios," but it didn't do that. Instead I've got a "C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios."

So was just wondering if this is intentional or maybe if it's a Windows thing and I'm just a clueless user:cool:
Post edited by seonsaengnim on

Comments

• jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That is becoming the default install location for many programs. seems there are fewer problems reading/writing to the users\ folder then the program files (x86) or program files location.

you can change it, might be able to move the Cryptic Studios folder to program files (x86) folder.
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    . . . . . .If you move the installation manually, you will need to go through and manually edit the binary registry data for the location of them else it will just re-patch to the original installation location. Otherwise, you'll need to uninstall and reinstall to your desired location. I always install my games in a C:/Games/<publisher>/ folder. For PWE Games, all my games are installed in C:/Games/PWE/ so in there i have launchers for several PWE games and then their own folders too.

PWE Install Architecture looks like this:
    /<location>/ - Game launchers appear here. Choose this destination for custom installing
    /<location>/<game>/ - Game executive (which the launcher looks for) is located here when installing.

. . . . . . So, in my /Games/PWE/ folder, (I install all PWE games to "C:/Games/PWE" never adding more, for the installation will do that) I have three folders currently: Neverwinter, Star Trek Online, and Champions Online. Inside those folders are the game's executable, respectively. In the base PWE folder is where all the launchers are installed to.

. . . . . . It is a windows thing, for on my Win8, it wants to install in my user directory but on my Vista machine it wants to install in Program Files directory. Choose a custom installation and choose your desired location like almost all other programs allow, when installing.