test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lonely road without Foundry!

xydsxlegendxydsxlegend Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
Does anyone know if the Devs are going to bring back the old Foundy system?
Does anyone know when the Devs are going to fix the current one, if they don't bring back the old Foundry?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Early Gamer Get the Levels"
by Profesor Legend

Profesor%20Legend.jpg
Post edited by xydsxlegend on

Comments

• kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Old Foundry system? I was a Foundry beta tester, it's not really any different now.
  • xydsxlegendxydsxlegend Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Old Foundry system? I was a Foundry beta tester, it's not really any different now.
    Talking about patch wise....before that patch the exp n one not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Early Gamer Get the Levels"
    by Profesor Legend

Profesor%20Legend.jpg
  • coanunncoanunn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 368 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'll be honest, I had little enough hope before in regards to this, and each day that passes I can't say that my confidence grows. The Foundry nerf was certainly an over reaction and the Devs got just blasted by the players for that, but the fact that the uproar died after the latest patch leaves no incentive for them to tweak it any further. I can honestly say if they only fix the loot end of the equation to accurately replicate 'Live' content I doubt the players will complain and from a business stand point it does not affect the longevity of the Foundry to produce enriching and engaging end game content.

Players never seem to grasp that XP is such a minor issue in an MMO due to the fact you only need that resource once. Think about getting your first mount, you are so driven to achieve that first mount because it makes things "better" but once you have it you never again (on that character obviously) feel that drive to get another "first mount". Even extra mounts are a more relaxed desire as you at least have your first mount. XP is much the same, once you have it and hit 60 you never even consider XP again, though the hours of /played that come after 60 will in most cases FAR exceed those played to reach 60.

I certainly think that the Foundry XP nerf was overly drastic and is seriously impactful to those seeking to play alts or who want to unlock all the capabilities of their character before playing through the content. That said, in the greater scheme of things, content that is non-rewarding loot wise is a much more severe issue and the one the players are more likely to lament. Even our community here has gone all but silent on the XP issue after a VERY minor tweak.

P.S. Kamaliicious - Did you get my PM yesterday? I was having some trouble with my internet and was seeing double posts and stuff not sending.
    Do you crave a good old fashioned dungeon crawl? One where the dungeon tells it's own story? The Dungeon Delves campaign is just for you! Start with my first release: NW-DQF4T7QYH Any cave can lead to adventure!
  • sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Don't blame Cryptic. Blame the ones who insisted on creating exploit quests.

The same kind of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> happened with Star Trek Online's Foundry. As I crecall, concern was raised about it for NW even before Beta. And yet Cryptic launched with the ability to create exploit quests. I think they gave the community the benefit of the doubt, trusting us to exercise restraint and good judgment. WE blew it.

And you cannot tell me that the intent of the exploit quests was anything other than a way to bypass playing the real game just to max one's character out as quickly as possible. In other words, CHEATING.

And Farming quest are not really much better, but I am not going to open that particular can of worms.

But no... "I Win" foundry is dead.
    I'm not really a John Galt,
    but I play one on the forums...
    :P
  • coanunncoanunn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 368 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

The same kind of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> happened with Star Trek Online's Foundry. As I crecall, concern was raised about it for NW even before Beta. And yet Cryptic launched with the ability to create exploit quests. I think they gave the community the benefit of the doubt, trusting us to exercise restraint and good judgment. WE blew it.

And you cannot tell me that the intent of the exploit quests was anything other than a way to bypass playing the real game just to max one's character out as quickly as possible. In other words, CHEATING.

And Farming quest are not really much better, but I am not going to open that particular can of worms.

I think that is a very narrow view and in fact blames Cryptic for ignorance rather than their actual fault in this case, which is knee jerk over reaction. Exploits are just that, EXPLOITS. They do something the creators did not intend. In this particular case players found a way to use the logic program against itself (I can't be more specific due to forum guidelines) and as such it resulted in exploit maps that Cryptic had seen in the previous beta and remedied but the players found a loop hole. Since then that loophole has been plugged for now until players find a new one. Something to consider, if you are Cryptic you can hire X number of testers. You can hold an open beta where thousands more will jump in and TRY to break the system. That is a testers job. I once broke a colleagues code so badly it was unrecoverable, he thanked me while calling me names for creating an awful lot of work for him but saving him delivering a faulty product.

It's a catch 22, they can deliver a solid product but then thousands or even millions of people start using that product. Do you think condom companies testers ever said "You know, if I fill this with drugs and insert it in an <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> it can be used to break the law"? Perhaps the Mentos testers are to be blamed for the un-discovered reaction to diet soda? There are any number of products that get used in a manner the creator never imagined, some for very poor things. The exploit maps are no different, Cryptic thought they fixed the issue, but players found a way around it. This wasn't some mythical thing that Cryptic left in the game waiting to see if players abused it. Hell they came out last weekend and said "farming is ok, we do not have a problem with farming" and their own stance on the Foundry was "it should be just as if not more rewarding than 'Live' content". That doesn't sound to me like a company that left a loaded gun out for the community to see if we were trust worthy but rather a company that reacted to a huge exploit and community out-cry regarding it. Go back and look at the posts from Monday and Tuesday of the players screaming for an end to the exploits. Cryptic listened. Look at the posts from Wednesday, players screaming about it being too much. Cryptic listened (perhaps not enough but they did tweak the XP again).
    Do you crave a good old fashioned dungeon crawl? One where the dungeon tells it's own story? The Dungeon Delves campaign is just for you! Start with my first release: NW-DQF4T7QYH Any cave can lead to adventure!
  • kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hardly, there's a featured quest that's half farm and half exploit grind with enemies that won't attack back until they're about 90% injured. A few easy encounters in one area and some extra running around disguises it, but all that running around happens on an exterior map so you can just get on your mount.