test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How many people still use XP?

demiurgerealmdemiurgerealm Member Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
edited February 2014 in Off Topic
Back in 2008 I built a beast of a new rig with XP pro and have been able to run any game at max graphics with great performance but I have recently bumped into a game I can't play due to OS and was curious if I was really in the minority for operating systems these days.
-Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Realm of the Demiurge Foundry Works

Neverwinter isn't D&D, it is a MMO based on a game that uses D&D terms but isn't really D&D either. NW is fun (for that matter so is 4E), but it isn't D&D, and once you wrap your expectations around that you will be able to enjoy the game for what it offers and not worry about what it does not.
Post edited by demiurgerealm on

Comments

• werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i dual boot xp and windows 8
    21.jpg
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Steam Survey for March 2013 says 8.46% use Windows XP 32 bit.
    Top 10:
    Windows 7 64 bit
    54.94%

Windows 7
    13.54%

Windows 8 64 bit
    9.91%

Windows XP 32 bit
    8.46%

Windows Vista 64 bit
    3.83%

Windows Vista 32 bit
    2.71%

MacOS 10.8.2 64 bit
    1.60%

MacOS 10.7.5 64 bit
    0.81%

Windows 8
    0.77%

MacOS 10.6.8 64 bit
    0.63%
  • jturtlejturtle Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Where can I get the 64 bit version? I went to the NW site and gave my computer specs (Windows 8.1 64 bit), and installed the game; then, I noticed in Task Manager that it still referred to the program as Neverwinter 32-bit...
  • rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    There is none. There is only one version of the game.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2014
    Eck, I know that we do not count the necro rule in Off Topic but, ew. Old thread.

As Rhoric said there's only one version of the game at this time. 64 Bit programs have to be designed specifically to run 64 bit so not all games come with both versions.

On that note and a bit of a tie in to the OP's predicament there are two important events occurring in recent months.
    First of all Microsoft did announce that they will be discontinuing support for Windows XP sooner rather than later. It is time to upgrade.

And since XP users will have to upgrade or suffer the nasty side effects of Microsoft's decision, they should not even consider purchasing a 32 bit operating system as some games are being released as only 64 bit versions and even those upgrading their 32 bit systems are opting to discontinue 32 bit support.

The fact of the matter is that the software required to run 64 bit systems is over a decade old and chances are every person running a machine could upgrade their current machine to 64 bit without purchasing any additional software. In fact every person running Windows Vista and 7 could upgrade to 64 bit as long as they purchased their machine within the last four years.

Economically speaking more and more companies are not finding it worthwhile to support 32 bit operating systems.