test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I'm glad your ALL here

mogwaimogwai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Every last one of ya & then a bunch more :D lol

Just for some filler time, i needed to wind down before resting, sOOooo here are some numbers to nibble on.
I was trying to wind down & not scan the webs for infos. however when making estimates i tend to be overly conservative & as a result am often accurate. And this disclaimer for the emos...
**disclaimer, the only 100% factual statements in this post are the first TWO lines following this one**
In 1996 TSR finally reached 20 mil in sales.
3e wasn't released until 2003.
If 1/2 of that was book sales (which were $20 each at the time), & every person had their small horde of books like every prepared adventurer should - Player's HB, DM's Guide, 2 Monster Manuals, Deities & Demigods (mine had the Cthulhu Mythos), plus 2 other books i can't remember as it's been over 20 years since i played THEN claim to be old school easily more than doubling that amount, say about 14 books...basic books that were extremely common for P/D D&D, then lets do some maths...

[((20 mils / 2 sales ) / 14 collection)] / $20 price) ............= 35,714 ppl
lets go further ^:D^
80% are not now nor have been interested in any form of D&D for so long that they wouldn't know what D&D meant anymore....................................................................= 7,142
80% don't know D&D NW exists.....................................= 1,428
15% don't own a computer or don't use one for games......= 1,214
10% are/were collectors only .......................................= 1,092
8% are alts (multiple account)......................................= 1,005
7% left already because they can't play yet....................= 935
5% had doubles (multiple copies)...................................= 888
1% is PWE/Cryptic staff...............................................= 879
0.88% have since perished since 1996 ...........................= 871 (this seems extremely low, i have no studies on the mortality rates for fantasy gamers only, which i would expect to be in the 5-7% range).

Granted, for each set of 14 books sold there would have been an average of 4 users BUT i would expect the other 3 users to fall into the 1st 80% category. LOL..too many chiefs, not enough Indians.

Welcome All DM's :rolleyes:
mmorpg is R'lyehian for: Innumerable quantities of grown babies
discussing & often complaining about the imaginary.
[SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1618000&dateline=1316204434[/SIGPIC]
Post edited by mogwai on

Comments

• exavourexavour Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 68
    edited March 2013
    This is the dumbest post I've ever seen. Kudos on making yourself look like an idiot. *Thumbsup*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mogwaimogwai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    exavour wrote: »
    This is the dumbest post I've ever seen. Kudos on making yourself look like an idiot. *Thumbsup*

nice alt account ;)
    mmorpg is R'lyehian for: Innumerable quantities of grown babies
    discussing & often complaining about the imaginary.
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1618000&dateline=1316204434[/SIGPIC]
  • vestinious1vestinious1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If you played whitebox then and only then are you old school !

Also I would add Grognard to my title as I have worked on Traveller, Doctor Who, The One Ring and many other RPG's.
    To finish this off I used to play at TSR in Cambridge at the weekend and play things before they came out.

You sir are a whipper snapper but comparison ;) - only joking :)