test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Implement race change tokens please

xaralleixarallei Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 101 Arc User
edited September 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Race change tokens would resolve a lot of the problems going on with the drow being only playable after 60 days. The HoN folks would get their renegade drow exclusive access (and feel special since they are the only drow running around for 60 days) and non-HoN people who want to play drow characters can still play at launch because they can roll whatever race and use the race change tokens once drow are available. It's a win-win situation. Please add the tokens. :)
Post edited by xarallei on

Comments

• Options
    krubarkrubar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 841 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    One word..... no.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    krubar wrote: »
    One word..... no.

Why not? Seriously, that's pretty **** selfish.

But the fact is PWE is going to want to make money and tokens like these are very common it cash shops. I would be very surprised if they didn't put them in. It's a good way for them to earn money if anything. I'd much rather not have to pay anything at all and play drow at launch like we all expected. But this is a good alternative.
  • Options
    silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I support this idea. It should be implemented as an expensive "Scroll of Reincarnation". Say, 1000 ZEN or more. But, when the Drow becomes available put it on 50% off sale for a few days. Calling it Reincarnation would tie it to precedent in D&D.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    That sounds interesting. Though I think it shouldn't be too pricey. The cost should be comparable to what other games charge for race changes.
  • Options
    krubarkrubar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 841 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    If you want to play a drow at game launch then get a hero pack or wait for it to be released.

If there is any kind of reincarnation or ability to change race in the zen shop then it should be like 4000 zen so there wont be lots of people buying it.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    If you want to play a drow at game launch then get a hero pack or wait for it to be released.

If there is any kind of reincarnation or ability to change race in the zen shop then it should be like 4000 zen so there wont be lots of people buying it.

Um, but we're not playing a drow at launch. We're playing something else and race changing when drow unlock 60 days later. I'm rather appalled at the entitlement and selfishness from some HoN people. Not all, but some.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Sorry I just dont want to see 50 million drow running around on day 61 cause they used some kind of race change token.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    You're going to see tons of drow running around regardless.

You know I'm really pissed with whatever marketing person came up with the HoN nonsense. They should have been more careful with the wording because now so many HoN seem to feel they are the only ones entitled to being drow. It's a special RP renegade skin that you get. That's all. You aren't entitled to being the only drow around. Once 60 days are up ANYONE should be able to be drow. And race change tokens make sense for them from a business point of view anyway.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Well, I do not agree with you. And I will never play a drow because I don't like them.
  • Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    One word..... no.

UMMMM....One word....YES!!!!

I would love to be able to take my main at character creation and convert him to a Drow and I would even be willing to pay to do so because of the god awful decsion to with hold Drow for 60 days. Still believe this is a huge mistake but being able to do a race change, like almost every MMO allows, would go a long way to rectify the whole Drow thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013

Whats your favorite Race? Cause I would be the first one in line to see it withheld from your greedy hands for 60 days! posters like you disgust me to no end!!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Well, I do not agree with you. And I will never play a drow because I don't like them.

Well, I hope PWE is much more reasonable. Given they can make a decent amount of money from the idea, I definitely think they'd be open to it. I'm sorry but HoN people already got their money's worth. In fact, according to your very own thread you more than got your money's worth. Companions and mounts alone are worth the $200. Not even including the other extras you get. You don't need to block race change to drow after the 60 day mark as well. If the only reason you don't want it in is that you don't want to see many drow, well that's just a downright silly reason. There's no logical reason to dismiss this idea.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited March 2013
    It takes 3 days to get to level 40. Is making a new character really a big deal?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Your right. I personally don't care if drow are in at launch or not. I just don't like drow because they have like a -2 level adjustment and have way too many stat bonuses. If they implement race change tokens then that is great. I would like to see it priced high enough so people wont change race all the time. Anyways sorry about giving you a hard time. I just dont like drow. :P
  • Options
    xdreeganxxdreeganx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Aside from krubar being extremely rude, I completely agree with this idea. There's literally NO downside to it, and it does help with the drow situation quite a bit. Of course it seemed like, in the Extended FAQ Cryptic was going to give out a free way for people who've been playing all this time the ability to change a character that they originally wanted to be a Drow into one. But this is still a good idea. Especially for when later on down the line the other races come out.
    MQl1o52.png
    Arrows and Blades do not have names on them.
    They are addressed, "To whom it may concern.."
  • Options
    aisriythaisriyth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    For me it isn't about Drow it's about other races like Eladrin, Shifters, Genasi, Giths. I wouldn't mind a race change token but wouldn't cry if there isn't one.
  • Options
    chaoticwheechaoticwhee Member Posts: 61
    edited March 2013
    Yeah. I'd really like a tiefling sorcerer, but as that isn't in the game yet, I was just gonna make a tiefling CW. If they do eventually add in sorcerer (some say they will, some say they won't) then I'd love the ability to switch my cw to human or something and making the new class a tiefling.
  • Options
    benjgloverbenjglover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    if u want to play a drow fork out $200
  • Options
    hanskisaragihanskisaragi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Most people could care less about Drow.
  • Options
    astaziaastazia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited April 2013
    I'm sort of surprised this thread even exists. It's super obvious to me it's something they are going to add, anything that will make them more money, should be clear by now. Probably have race change tokens up for $20 soon as they add Dragonborn next month.
  • Options
    kromzorkromzor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Wait... I thought the Drow in the Heroes pack was some sort of special "Exiled" Drow that only those people could play as.

Everyone else would get to play a "Regular" Drow when they patched them in.

But whats actually happening is people paid $200 to get 60 day early access to the same Drow everyone will be playing?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.....
  • Options
    astaziaastazia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited April 2013
    There's also a single unique tattoo for them, but basically yes. $200 to make their Drizzt clone 60 days early.
  • Options
    maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    xarallei wrote: »
    Why not? Seriously, that's pretty **** selfish.
    It has nothing to do with being "selfish" - personally I'm against it to preserve a tiny bit of integrity in the game, this is a RPG which as you probably know stands for ROLE PLAYING Game.

Again in my opinion most decisions you make should be permanent and unchangeable, games like (especially) WoW has ruined everything to the point of no decision you ever make has any impact on anything.
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    It takes 3 days to get to level 40. Is making a new character really a big deal?

They only downside to making new characters is so much store bought stuff (bags, bank, etc) are character only, so if you have spent a lot on them, making an alt isn't as appealing.

i don't really care about race changes, if people want to do them, go right ahead. The only trouble i can see is that there are stats that will change, that may have a ripple effect. As long as it's not cheap enough that people will make fad of the week min maxing, and there are no exploits, go for it.
  • Options
    mnkytimessmnkytimess Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ive spent over 350$ on my character getting him to 60 and know I found out that if your not a certain race your not as good as other players. I think its unfair that ive dedicated so much time and money on a char but now i have to restart because i cant change races. Many people ive talked to are in this situation and many people are quitting because of this. A race change would be the easiest way of fixing this problem
  • Options
    nectarprimenectarprime Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mnkytimess wrote: »
    ive spent over 350$ on my character getting him to 60

Holy **** are you serious?
  • Options
    savantesavante Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I really think most of you getting too emotionally involved to realize that Perfect World is a business and they are here to provide a good game so they can make money.

They put Drow in the hero pack so more people would buy it... so they can make more money. They put a 60day delay on release of drow so people would buy the hero pack and then when they do release the drow... all the people who want to play drow will pay for a race change on their new character..... to make money. Smart business.
    So plan for a race change token. Its a business.
  • Options
    ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Heh. To all the drow/elf/mainstream popularity class and race haters ....... what do you think is going to happen once the ranger class is released? Rangerwinter is gonna be the expansion, I heard.
  • Options
    darktreaddarktread Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It really shouldn't be that hard.

It's a good opportunity to make money by giving players what they want and make some cash off of it. It does nothing helpful to game player retention to have unhappy players. Especially when for a small fee we can make them love their characters more, lol. It would also resolve issues for characters that have expansive real money fluff like bound clothing and companions that cost $25 to $30.

What seems to be happening is people say to themselves is "oh, ill make a wild-elf mage since that's the only elf available and give him a $30 companion and bind all this cool stuff to him" then boom, 3 months later here are sun-elves and 3 months after that moon-elves. Now your stuck playing a race you don't want because you are "married" to your bound companions and gear.

It's easy to say suck it up buttercup but the result is a sad and disenfranchised player. Disenfranchised players leave and take their money with them and tend not to recommend the game to their friends. Obviously hurting the games population, income and ratings. Why do that when you can cash in on their displeasure. For $X amount of dollars we can fix your character they way you like, We all win!

It should not become available till the Moon-elf is out for all players so that the people who put up the cash for early access can enjoy it first.

Menzoberranzan Renegade should stay unavailable to players that did not buy Hero of the North Pack, they paid allot of cash for the pack and it should stay exclusively theirs.

If new races are added down the line, like Dragonborn (big money maker there) or gnome you should have to buy it in the store first before you can Race Change to it...just like EQ1, EQ2, and DDO. No need to reinvent the wheel.
  • Options
    sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I think the coding of it would be pretty difficult.

First the race change would probably have to INCLUDE stat change. I am not sure how it is coded, but I don't think NW is coded to change RACE stat bonus (first bug issue)

Race change also change some passive traits/skills. The trick would be removing the said skill AND add the new skills (which MAY add internal bonus which could cause more bugs like "skill" stacking if not done correctly with multiple race change (second bug)

Edit: The race change token will also will make "less money" for NW. "less money" by less play time. NW would WANT you to level your new race from 1 to max (even if it takes a short time) but with all the changes, it will take a little longer to gear that chara. This mean more play time and potential to make money. Why would NW shoot themselves in the foot?
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
This discussion has been closed.