test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Battlemage build, is it even possible?

noctournous93noctournous93 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 78
edited February 2013 in The Library
Hello there community.
I have always been a fan of the battlemage builds/mechanics and i would like to know is something alike that is even remotely possible on the current state of the control wizard, as i have not accesed the beta yet.

Cheers :D
Post edited by noctournous93 on

Comments

• quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    No, not currently. Each class has a specific weapon or implement. The Control Wizard uses an orb, and has no way of using a sword or other melee weapon.
  • noctournous93noctournous93 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 78
    edited February 2013
    I have been reading about some leaked info for a variety of classes, one includes the swordmage.
    Also i found a video from a developer talking about the classes on release, and they will be around 10.
    So the chance of a battlemage alike class its interesting :D
    edited February 2013
    Also i found a video from a developer talking about the classes on release, and they will be around 10.

Do you have a link? Because that contradicts this:
    We will launch with 5 classes. The Guardian Fighter, Great Weapon Fighter, Trickster Rogue, Devoted Cleric and Control Wizard.

Considering how much people have been complaining about only 5 classes, if they were actually going to release 10, I'd think we'd be hearing about it.
  • aragoharagoh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    We are not going to get 10 classes on release day for the game. The only two other classes that people started data-mining were Warlock and Ranger anyway, so chances of a "battle-Mage" are low until well after release. So it will be a bit after release and most likely with a content update.

The five classes we are getting on launch are:

1) Guardian Fighter

2) Great Weapon Fighter

3) Control Wizard

4) Trickster Rogue

5) Devoted Cleric
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Credit: Syreian: Devient Art
  • noctournous93noctournous93 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 78
    edited February 2013
    well warlock and ranger are pretty fine for my taste, specially a scourge-warlock
  • zavon01zavon01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Could you maybe discuss what you mean by a battlemage?

Because the wizard in D&D 4th Edition, and subsequently this game, is primarily a "Controller". A controller is a role, that some classes fill, with the job of controlling the battle field. It is their job to deny enemies actions, create barriers, or move enemies into a more favorable position for the group.
  • denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zavon01 wrote: »

Because the wizard in D&D 4th Edition, and subsequently this game, is primarily a "Controller". A controller is a role, that some classes fill, with the job of controlling the battle field. It is their job to deny enemies actions, create barriers, or move enemies into a more favorable position for the group.

I think that, as long as you take damage feats and a damage paragon path (and maybe you get +power equipment), the CW will be definitely able to deal at least some damage. Maybe not as much damage as a true ranged striker, but at least some... even without giving up too much controlling.

We'll see which will be the optimal build for damaging wizards, since i think (as for other classes) there will be a "pure controlling" path, a "leaderish" path and a "damage" path.
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    denkasaeba wrote: »
    I think that, as long as you take damage feats and a damage paragon path (and maybe you get +power equipment), the CW will be definitely able to deal at least some damage. Maybe not as much damage as a true ranged striker, but at least some... even without giving up too much controlling.

Since the feats in this game are like a tech tree(limited options)...I really don't see this happening.
    edited February 2013
    aeroth001 wrote: »
    Since the feats in this game are like a tech tree(limited options)...I really don't see this happening.

I don't see why not, since i've seen how feats are made in the game. As long as you choose the damaging path, you should be ok.

St. Augustinus
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't see why not, since i've seen how feats are made in the game. As long as you choose the damaging path, you should be ok.

Check your PM if you are online
  • aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013

The damaging path of a cc wizard ?:) Surely that is more dmg then the normal wizard but definitly not a blaster
    edited February 2013
    aeroth001 wrote: »
    The damaging path of a cc wizard ?:) Surely that is more dmg then the normal wizard but definitly not a blaster

Well, they added a damaging path to cleric, i don't really see it as an issue :D

St. Augustinus
  • z69evermoonz69evermoon Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2013

A controler manipulate creatures by slowing them or disrupting there ability to attack.

A Battlemage is all about dmg spells and area effects.

When you look at the control video you can see the Dev have things out of wack a control Wizard would want spells like Ray of Frost, Illusory Ambush. These spells control a creature by slowing it Ray of Frost or lowering its attack with Illusory Ambush.

A Battlemage wants spells like Magic Missle ray attacks things that do massive dmg.

I also perfer the Mastery of Staff of Defense instead of the orb thing since I only wearing cloth.

I hope its not just some set spells if I cant customize my character based on 4th edition rules what the point I dont want static Wizard and this is what it does that so out date.
    edited February 2013
    A Battlemage wants spells like Magic Missle ray attacks things that do massive dmg.

I think the OP meant "Battlemage" to mean a warrior-mage, so a spellcaster that also uses weapons and fights in melee, not just a damage-focused wizard. Like the Swordmage.

What you're asking for is, I think, very likely to happen after release. Just not for release. Although it might be a Warlock or Sorcerer, not a Wizard.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    To OP:-

Everything is possible in Dulove and Drawar.
  • zavon01zavon01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    A controler manipulate creatures by slowing them or disrupting there ability to attack.

A Battlemage is all about dmg spells and area effects.

When you look at the control video you can see the Dev have things out of wack a control Wizard would want spells like Ray of Frost, Illusory Ambush. These spells control a creature by slowing it Ray of Frost or lowering its attack with Illusory Ambush.

I also perfer the Mastery of Staff of Defense instead of the orb thing since I only wearing cloth.

I hope its not just some set spells if I cant customize my character based on 4th edition rules what the point I dont want static Wizard and this is what it does that so out date.

I've never heard of a 4th Edition "Battle Mage". There is the "War Wizard" which is still primarily a controller, which focuses more on damage dealing spells rather than area of effect spells.
  • ashrox10ashrox10 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've never heard of a 4th Edition "Battle Mage". There is the "War Wizard" which is still primarily a controller, which focuses more on damage dealing spells rather than area of effect spells.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_mage

ReferencesEdit
    ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Rob Heinsoo, Andy Collins, James Wyatt (June 2008). Player's Handbook 4th edition, p. 169. Wizards of the Coast. ISBN 0-7869-4867-1.
    Vuxadin@Kaelangx on Mindflayer.
    PvE Enthusiast.
    mbre6g.jpg
  • z69evermoonz69evermoon Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Control Wizard
    Your favorite powers restrict your enemies in various
    ways—crushing them in the coils of a lightning
    serpent, trapping them in a cloud of noxious vapor, or
    encasing them in ice. Intelligence drives your attack
    powers, so make it your highest ability score. Wisdom
    can help you maintain control over your enemies if
    you choose the orb of imposition form of Implement
    Mastery, so it should be your second-best score. Make
    Dexterity your third best score. Putting a good score in
    Constitution can help you stay alive by increasing your
    hit points and healing surges, as well as contributing
    to your Fortitude defense. If you choose the staff of
    defense form of Implement Mastery, your Constitution
    can also help your other defenses. Select powers that
    help you control the battlefield and make the best use
    of your high Wisdom score.
    Suggested Feat: Improved Initiative (Human feat:
    Human Perseverance)
    Suggested Skills: Arcana, Diplomacy, Insight,
    Nature
    Suggested At-Will Powers: cloud of daggers,
    thunderwave
    Suggested Encounter Power: icy terrain
    Suggested Daily Power: sleep

War Wizard
    Your delight is in powers that deal damage—lots of
    damage, to many foes at a time. Enormous bursts of
    fire, searing bolts of lightning, and waves of caustic
    acid are your weapons. Intelligence is your most
    important ability score. Dexterity should be your
    second-best score, and it is important if you choose the
    wand of accuracy form of Implement Mastery. Make
    Wisdom your third-best score. You might instead
    choose the staff of defense form of Implement Mastery,
    which lets your Constitution aid your defenses against
    some attacks. Even if you don’t, Constitution increases
    your hit points, healing surges, and Fortitude defense.
    Select powers that deal lots of damage and that make
    the best use of your high Dexterity score.
    Suggested Feat: Expanded Spellbook (Human
    feat: Action Surge)
    Suggested Skills: Arcana, Dungeoneering, History,
    Religion
    Suggested At-Will Powers: magic missile, scorching
    burst
    Suggested Encounter Power: burning hands
    Suggested Daily Power: acid arrow
    edited February 2013
    ashrox10 wrote: »
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_mage

ReferencesEdit
    ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Rob Heinsoo, Andy Collins, James Wyatt (June 2008). Player's Handbook 4th edition, p. 169. Wizards of the Coast. ISBN 0-7869-4867-1.

Maybe I misunderstood. I though we were talking about classes, not paragon paths.

As for z69evermoon, the War Wizard, which I already mentioned above (showing me you aren't even reading my responses) is still a controller!!!!!!!!!
  • novanine1novanine1 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm eager to see if they expanded the roster, 5 is pretty limited. I certianly hope they add more. I wish they would of opted for a different race other than drow.......sooo boring. how about a reptilian species or maybe gnome, although halfling is much the same.
  • novanine1novanine1 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Probablly like DDO, classes wil become available after updates. I hope we at least get a rnger and a lttle more variances of the wizard class like the striker roles. Don't really care about the monk, however the ninja class would be cool, especially if they have skills like scorpion and sub-zero of MK.