test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Traps interfere with AI pathing

hadmatterhadmatter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
I first noticed this bug when I was in one of the missions at the beginning of the game. I can't remember the name of the mission, but it's the first one where traps are introduced, including one spike trap at the beginning of the mission. After triggering it, I continued forward and found a few kobods, which I kited to the spike trap. My intent was to get them to trigger it and get some free damage.

After I jumped over the trap and they got close enough, they just stopped. The kobolds stood on one side of the trap, with me on the other side, and stood there. No attacking with ranged attacks, no moving, just nothing. I moved around a bit, but generally stayed in the same spot with the trap between me and the enemies. They can run around pillars just fine, but apparently they get confused by traps on the ground. As soon as I got within melee range of them or side-stepped so the trap was no longer in the way, they would resume normal behavior.

Eventually I found the wall traps which shoot darts and tried the same trick with enemies nearby. This time they actually ran through the trigger plate for the trap, but they hesitated first. Some enemies went around the trap, some went through it, but they all paused for a split second before advancing toward me when the trap was between us.

It seems the AI has a few issues with traps, but I'm no code monkey, so I don't know the cause. All I can report is what I saw and how I tested the extent of the issue. I would have just sent a bug report in-game, but the ticket kept timing out when I tried to send it. This is the 3rd time I've writen up a long report and I don't want to lose it again in-game, so I'm putting it on the forums. :p

Anyone else notice this issue with the AI interacting with traps? Anyone else test it or see it happen in other circumstances?
Post edited by hadmatter on

Comments

• Options
    hadmatterhadmatter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I just finished as spellplagued mission, and the spellfire patches on the ground seem to have a similar, if limited effect. I actually managed to get a Hulk stuck behind a patch for a free kill! :)
  • Options
    zaphtasticzaphtastic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I can confirm this. It happened a lot in the Foundry mission "Rat in the Kitchen" - many enemies stuck behind traps just didn't advance, allowing me to pelt them with ranged attacks. Sometimes it also seemed to occur when an enemy was in water and I was on ground with no traps between us, so it may be part of a larger AI/pathing problem.
  • Options
    hyphenjayhyphenjay Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    tends to happen in cutom maps from foundry it seems
    haven't had that problem in the official campaigns i think
  • Options
    stereocyclopsstereocyclops Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited February 2013
    Yes, there were several times where I flat out lost my companion as a result of this. Now that I think of it, I really nnoticed it during foundry content.

My companion also sucks at entering rooms. Many times I would finish a combat only to discover my companion standing outside in the hallway, waiting for me to finish up. Coward.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]