test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What -I- Want from Neverwinter

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2011 in General Discussion (PC)
News of the game is very exciting and, having thought for a couple of days, this is what I would like to see:

A robust selection of monsters in the Heroic tier. We're going to be making up most of our own adventures, and I look forward to doing that. To make that work, we need a very large collection of monsters. Not just humanoids, but their guard monsters (animals, drakes), and multiple versions of them so we have Brutes/Soldiers/Skirmishers for melee, Artillery and Controllers for range, and Lurkers for the sneak attacks. Don't neglect those particular monsters which can be the source for an entire adventure, such as the Kruthik. Seriously, you can make an entire adventure out of a kruthik nest.

A variety of social areas in the game world, appealing to different modes of RP. It seems to me that Neverwinter's role as a game is to serve as a place where we can meet one another and group up. Because we are making most of the adventure content ourselves. But we need ways to meet other players, and we need a variety of locales to hang out between adventures. Look to LotRO for some good examples here. Sure, there's the Prancing Pony. And that's the main hub. But there's also a half dozen other small pubs in the Shire alone, plus Rivendell and Elrond's House, and more. Each appeals to a particular kind of player, and they all can be used. We'll take care of the adventure, but we need places to hang out.

Fidelity to the upcoming Neverwinter Campaign Setting. Wizards is about to put out a campaign setting for the tabletop game, and I want that book and your game to fit together well. I want to be able to tell my friends, "Get the Wizards book and that will tell you everything about the setting you need to know. Then log on and make your character." I want to find plot hooks in the book that I can develop using your game's tools. If there are monster writeups in that campaign setting book, I want to see their stats on your game. Your city needs to match their city.

Imagine if Neverwinter and tabletop 4E dovetailed so well that they could be swapped out as necessary. Imagine if I am running a tabletop 4E game, but my players can only meet about once a month. Imagine if I could say, "OK, we aren't playing tabletop again for a month. But in the meantime, if some of you REALLY want to check out what is down in that sewer grate you uncovered last session, meet me online, because I've made the adventure for you there." Imagine if the classes and races were close enough that a person new to tabletop instantly knew all of his powers because they are all named the same and have the same effect as his online character. And vice versa: imagine how easy it would be to convince a longtime tabletop player, "Dude, you don't have to learn much. Because your character is EXACTLY THE SAME in the online game."

That's my dream. We're not going to get that level of fidelity, but I can dream.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2011
    A game that embodies the persistent world style of play from Neverwinter Nights 1 and brings it to another level.

A game that doesn't fall into the pits of the MMO industry but instead tries to make something more hardcore D&D.
    edited June 2011
    Having done a lot of testing for TSR, and Wizards I can tell you that the reason you can't get the level of fidelity that the OP is looking for is due to the shortsightedness of those perspective companies. They could have had many times over a working product that could accomplished this and thusly granted them a license to print money.

Loranne Williamson once told me that Computer games was a flash in the pan and wouldn't last more than a couple years......that was 1986. :rolleyes:

In 1997 there was a working online AD&D 3D interface ready to begin testing, it was scrapped because someone at the then almost bankrupt TSR saw a Everquest demo. /sigh...I think of how different D&D would be today if Gary had retained control, but I digress.

Okay down from the soapbox.

What I want from NWO is:

A robust accessible toolset that will allow me to quickly create Adventure modules and even persistent areas for myself and my fiends to adventure.
    • I want to be able to add Flavor NPCs , effects , Traps and Monsters. I want to be able to show them DM text or let them listen to pre-recorded DM descriptions.
    • I want to be able to build a persistent Tavern complete with smart NPC's that actually do more than just stand or sit there.

All in all I don't want a lot, because I know the limitations both technology wise and dealing with a myopic license holder.
    edited June 2011
    It would be as great as complex introducing epic feats, spells and wish spells.... in baldurs gate 2 we can choose from a limited options that spell could done, at this point i will be happy with something like that..