test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Questing in a Party (Nearly Impossible)

nachodx22nachodx22 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
When questing in Sharandar (and every campaign since Chult), doing quests in a party is very difficult. All repeatable quests are given at random, so forming a party with friends to do these quests results in everyone having different quests. What is the purpose of this? Also, sharing of these quests are disabled. I want to play this game with a group of friends. Please consider a fix.
-Nacho Skymont
Quixaltic Guild Leader
GH20, pm for inv

Comments

• arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    nachodx22 said:

What is the purpose of this?

I think this was done mostly to make it easier for players to complete quests without having to compete with every single other player for quest mobs. Most players also tend to not group up for quests, and instead only group up for more difficult instanced lairs.
  • nachodx22nachodx22 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    arazith07 said:

nachodx22 said:

What is the purpose of this?

I think this was done mostly to make it easier for players to complete quests without having to compete with every single other player for quest mobs. Most players also tend to not group up for quests, and instead only group up for more difficult instanced lairs.
    Actually, it would make it easier. For a quest that requires one to kill a specific target, a party of 3 could all attack that target and all get credit. As it stands now, in a party of 3, 1 person would need to kill that specific target, another person would need to save 3 elves, and the final person would need to pour poison in the kettles (or something like that). Then when you all turn in your quests, you grab the next round of quests, and it's the same quest that your party-mates just completed! It's illogical!

If "most players" did party up for quests, it would lower competition for respawns, and we could all do it together. If we are earning a measely "5" Iron Curio per quest, might as well make it more fun by allowing us to do it as a party.
    -Nacho Skymont
    Quixaltic Guild Leader
    GH20, pm for inv
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    I'm generally in favour of the idea but there is a potential negative (not from the players perspective!) in that if 3 people go in with the same 3 missions, they tackle one each and all 3 are marked completed.

How much this would be considered a negative from Cryptic's perspective is debateable I suppose.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • robai#6206 robai Member Posts: 344 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    arazith07 said:

That is another very annoying thing in Neverwinter. Why the Competition for completing a quest?
    1. If there is a quest to take some items then make them for players individually so that other players won't be able to steal them.
    2. If there is a quest to kill mobs then either make them visible for players individually or give them a decent amount of health so that nobody would be able to kill them in one hit.

It's just a bad design that other players are mostly obstacles for your quests (Heroic Encounters are the exception to this rule).

A good design would be this: any players (even the ones not in your party) should be useful for completing your quests.
    For example:
    1. They can help you kill mobs guarding an item you need to pick up (they should never be able to steal items).
    2. They can help you kill a mob in your quest (assuming that such mob has a lot of HP or there is a large group of such mobs). But if those mobs are not hard to kill then they should be visible to you only.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    In the old days (may even be possible in present days), a party of 5 players (all have multiple characters) grouped up and split out to different area of the same map to do one quest each. All 5 quests for everyone would be done for the effort of one. Then, everyone switched characters and did that again.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***

In the old days (may even be possible in present days), a party of 5 players (all have multiple characters) grouped up and split out to different area of the same map to do one quest each. All 5 quests for everyone would be done for the effort of one. Then, everyone switched characters and did that again.

I started playing in mod 2. When Dread Ring launched, I remember doing this. Now maybe this is a little too easy. It allowed people to completely "carry" others. Maybe a proximity requirement on completion, or a requirement that only party members who actively participated (interacted with nodes or dealt some damage to a certain enemy) would be in order here. This can be done pretty easily. Even if this IS exploited, the gain here is minimal. We're talking 5 of the campaign currency here... It's a measly 5...
    -Nacho Skymont
    Quixaltic Guild Leader
    GH20, pm for inv
  • hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User
    From very start when I started play Neverwinter online( with start of mod 3), till now, I done all quests solo.

The game don't have quests for party. It's just single player quests. And the reason is that, Neverinter online is Storry telling game. Thats mean it's your storry, and not group players sotry.

However sad that devs didn't add some side quets for parties. And now what are party/group quets?

Here I link quest for clan(Guild) to incease their rank. It's quest which require participation of party or even whole guild
    https://l2wiki.com/Proof_of_Clan_Alliance

And this type quets is what Neverwinter missing.
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================

Sorry bro, but the story isn't enhanced by doing repeat quests over and over. You'd think by the 50th time that I need to "find the elves" who are in the exact same location, I could do it with a buddy. This quirk does not enhance the story. It just makes it miserable and lonely.
    -Nacho Skymont
    Quixaltic Guild Leader
    GH20, pm for inv
    Yeah there's no story in those quests, they are just time sinks where players are bored out of their minds repeating the same monotonous fetch quests until they earn the desired level of currency to move on.

• slabofrage#2812 slabofrage Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Even when you do team up and have the same quests, it feels pretty random as to what counts for each player. I play a lot grouped up with my girlfriend, and we pick quests up together, then she'd kill a mob and it adds to my count, but my count doesn't add to hers, or I'll pick something up and it only counts for me. Seemingly at random, because the next go round, everything counts for us both.
  • shugenshashugensha Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    I mean, if the game ware Turn Based you wouldn't have to worry about ppl stealing your prey. I play a lot of solo and very often i find ppl coming, one shot the target i was doing and walk away.. Most times it does count towards me tho, maybe cuz i solo as healer or cuz i have so little dmg that the fight dragged long enough to recognize me as the one that started it. Idk.
    The meta it's just a guideline. And guidelines are boring.

Soulweaver: The Lovely Red
    Minstrel: The Rose Troubadour

• tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited October 2021

Even when you do team up and have the same quests, it feels pretty random as to what counts for each player. I play a lot grouped up with my girlfriend, and we pick quests up together, then she'd kill a mob and it adds to my count, but my count doesn't add to hers, or I'll pick something up and it only counts for me. Seemingly at random, because the next go round, everything counts for us both.

For those "kill x foes" quests, most of the time there is sort of a radius centered on the killed ennemy within which the kill count for any player in the party. If one of the partymember is outside of this radius, he won't get the +1 in the kill count.
    I think it's around 400 feet for most of those quests (it is the same for exemple to get Zariel favors from your party in Avernus, further than ~400 feet from a partymember killing something, you won't get the roll for droping the favors corresponding to that kill. Inside 400 feet, you can be afk and you will still get favors from the kills your party does).

For "interact x object " kind of quests, some of them (but far from all of them) also feature either a "full map" radius, a 400 feet radius or a short radius (something like 10feet) inside which all players in the party will get the count if one interact. For the short radius type, it sometimes even works for people outside the party (exemple in the well of dragon : mimic trap and prisonners, if someone is interacting with those, any player in the 10feet range will also get it for his count)

The problem is this is not consistent at all, even in the very same area / storyline (ex : elemental evil campaign) : Some quests works like this, others works like that, and others don't at all without any objective reason why (but the "different programmer/dev" hypothesis).
  • rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    shugensha said:

I mean, if the game ware Turn Based you wouldn't have to worry about ppl stealing your prey. I play a lot of solo and very often i find ppl coming, one shot the target i was doing and walk away.. Most times it does count towards me tho, maybe cuz i solo as healer or cuz i have so little dmg that the fight dragged long enough to recognize me as the one that started it. Idk.

As far as I know it has always been that as long as you get a couple of hits on a target in a quest, it doesn't matter who kills it, you will still get the credit. In the past when I have gone and helped someone to complete a low level quest as a high level player, I tell them to make sure they hit it at least a few times, I either let them start or I hit it and then stop and make sure they get a few whacks-in before I finish it off for them. As long as the system registers you have hit it a few times, it should credit you and award whatever you are chasing. It's the same for HE's, as long as you hit a few times you're registered as part of it.

Re soloing as a healer, it makes more sense to make a DPS loadout and use that, you will finish your content faster and it won't be so much of a headache. I play cleric and have two loadouts, one is DPS and one pure heal, I switch between them depending on whether I'm soloing or in a party as a healer.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • shugenshashugensha Member Posts: 191 Arc User

As far as I know it has always been that as long as you get a couple of hits on a target in a quest, it doesn't matter who kills it, you will still get the credit. In the past when I have gone and helped someone to complete a low level quest as a high level player, I tell them to make sure they hit it at least a few times, I either let them start or I hit it and then stop and make sure they get a few whacks-in before I finish it off for them. As long as the system registers you have hit it a few times, it should credit you and award whatever you are chasing. It's the same for HE's, as long as you hit a few times you're registered as part of it.

Re soloing as a healer, it makes more sense to make a DPS loadout and use that, you will finish your content faster and it won't be so much of a headache. I play cleric and have two loadouts, one is DPS and one pure heal, I switch between them depending on whether I'm soloing or in a party as a healer.

Good to know that. And now that you mention it, i remember quests that requires you to interact like "rescue X targets", where if you kill the mobs and someone (not in party) interact with the "target" it counts to you too.

About the soloing, I guess it's easier for a soulweaver/minstrel to solo content as healer. Soulweaver have lifespark and a lot of HoT to support itself. And minstrel can basically spam Blazing Flamenco, easier if you cast on yourself some self healing before fighting. I preffer it this way cuz i don't need to burn stones/pots if i aggro way too much lol. I do have a dps loadout, but only use it on areas that can be speed through.
    The meta it's just a guideline. And guidelines are boring.

Soulweaver: The Lovely Red
    Minstrel: The Rose Troubadour

I've not tried the healer path at all yet but I find the dps path does decent damage so I usually don't need healing potions - only if I'm soloing an HE or something.