test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Minsc companion and damage boost

When equipping Minsc's player bonus, we gain damage increase. The bonus is higher against stronger foes. This explanation is a big vague and I have to learn how exactly it works.

Do we gain the maximum damage boost when fighting bosses? Do we get the minimum damage when fighting trash mobs? Is it worth replacing Phase Spider's bonus for this one since both powers go to the defensive slot?

Comments

• divectoredivectore Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    See the dots on top of enemies, the more red dots, the more damage you are going to deal, 4 dots enemies or enemies with a hp bar in the HUD, is going to go maximum damage while enemies with 1 dot, AkA minions, don't get any increase in damage.
  • admiralwarlord#3792 admiralwarlord Member Posts: 491 Arc User
    I don't understand how there are still players looking at stats instead of damage. Assuming you have 50% Combat Advantage for example, if you put on +7.5% Golden Cat, you would have 57.5% Combat Advantage which would be +7.5% increased damage when on position for this to activate, and a 57.5% chance to activate that 7.5% damage gain. If you have Minsc, you have variable damage gain depending on the enemy, but this is not affected by chance gain, it's a sure thing.

In my ST build I'm using Batiri, Neverwinter Knight, Minsc, Barbarian Shaman and Staldorf, but if I had the Cold Iron Warrior and was going to do VoS, for sure your bonus would be in the place of Staldorf just like the VoS helmet that I think it's much better than Goristro since it doesn't give me damage gain directly, it just increases my chances for my Critical Severity to be more effective.
  • divectoredivectore Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited November 15

I don't understand how there are still players looking at stats instead of damage. Assuming you have 50% Combat Advantage for example, if you put on +7.5% Golden Cat, you would have 57.5% Combat Advantage which would be +7.5% increased damage when on position for this to activate, and a 57.5% chance to activate that 7.5% damage gain. If you have Minsc, you have variable damage gain depending on the enemy, but this is not affected by chance gain, it's a sure thing.

In my ST build I'm using Batiri, Neverwinter Knight, Minsc, Barbarian Shaman and Staldorf, but if I had the Cold Iron Warrior and was going to do VoS, for sure your bonus would be in the place of Staldorf just like the VoS helmet that I think it's much better than Goristro since it doesn't give me damage gain directly, it just increases my chances for my Critical Severity to be more effective.

It's even worse than that when you consider diminishing returns because you are adding or increasing a multiplier instead of multiplying a multiplier, so for example, if you deal 100 damage, with 1000% combat advantage you'll deal 1000 damage, now you you add 7% more to that combat advantage and you'd have 1007% CA damage, and you would deal 1007 damage, which is an increase of 0.07% in your final damage.
    Now a proper multiplier would be 7% damage overall, that is:1000 damage x 7% =1070, a real increase of 7%. in your final damage. The case above was exaggerated for explaining purposes of diminishing returns.

Optimal damage comes from various little real multipliers instead of a big single one, 5% + 5% is going to give more damage than 10%:
    100 damage x 5% = 105. then 105 x 5% = 110.25.
    vs
    100 damage x 10% = 110.
    if you have a lot of little multipliers, they are going to add up even more.
  • admiralwarlord#3792 admiralwarlord Member Posts: 491 Arc User
    It doesn't take a genius to see the obvious, just remember when Power and Combat Advantage was capped and Critical Strike was capped at 50% and everyone continued to do a lot of damage or pre mod 16 that Power and Armor Penetration were the stats to focus on .

The only attraction of investing in Critical Strike over Accuracy after I capped Critical Severity and Combat Advantage is the increased chance to proc the Lostmouth Vegeance of the Journals bonus and the bonus of the new Demo set.