test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

graphics and loading

Hi
I was wondering is anyone else having problems with the game such as graphics not working, the amount of loading time, or the game glitching on them?

Answers

• aapoxaapox Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 9 Arc User
    i have too!
  • rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    I'm noticing some npcs are invisible with only the icon floating in the air and a light under it until you get very close to them and then they appear. You can move back and forth and they come and go. I've also noticed lag in even quiet maps with only 5 or so people. Bad rubberbanding in PE. There's another issue which I always got in PE where I first logged-in, I always park in AI then come out to go to the market and sell stuff before starting my day and the wall of the market would always flash white in places just the once, but today I noticed things were flashing more than that as I ran around and changed angles which I've not seen before. Issues with dodging/dashing using shift where there is a delay which should not be there. Loading for me has been fine. That's all I can think of right now.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    @noworries#8859
    I am not seeing this on Linux OS, this may be DirectX related, and how the game client is making calls to the DirectX. I know that doesn't help the users at all. I hope the developers will see this comment and take a closer look into their graphics hooking. White flashes might be a delay of loading graphic textures into the client from the libraries? Which might not be the result of latency (server lag) but instead it could be graphic settings.

I will pop over to Window 10, and let you know what I am seeing there, but preview everything looked fine.

To the users:

Most likely your settings got reset in the update. The ones experiencing graphical issue accompanied with rubber-banding, please go to your Options and set the sliders in the Graphics tab to minimum and bring them up slowly as you play. If you comprehend the detailed settings below the sliders, turn the world and terrain settings down to medium and leave the character at max or high. If the flashes are in the distance sky or background, the world setting is where to look. f the flashes are on the ground or buildings, the terrain setting is where to look.

If you continue to have both graphical issues and lag, try setting the resolution lower or play in a smaller windowed setting. This is not the fault of your hardware so don't run out and buy a new graphics adapter thinking it will solve your problems. I am not pointing fingers at the developers either, they are doing their best working with what they have. They probably need to look into some "old school solutions" for their
    API calls. The game engine wasn't originally created for the latest and greatest and I suspect it is having a hard time keeping up. Without hands on information all I can do is speculate.
    The white flashes I mentioned I see every day, it's very regular and it's only the one brief flash immediately after logging in and then it doesn't happen again anywhere at any time. It's always in the same place, on the walls of the market just after I've gone down the stairs from AI and heading left towards the market. It's not the entire wall/texture, it's always a couple of patches in the same places and happens as I am running towards the door and panning left while moving to face it and get there. I'll make a video next time I log in of it as I am parked in my usual place in AI and it's so regular I'm confident it will happen. The flashes I mentioned apart from that one were in various places as I was moving around and I think it was also when I was panning horizontally while moving around. I've not seen that happen before other than the one time I always get on the market wall. Here are my specs:

And I'm running Win10 64bit.

I usually let GeForce Experience optimize my settings for me but I'm still aware of what they should be so when I log-in I will also have look through them ingame and see if I notice anything has changed.
    @rockster#6227 I don't know what they use to test the game at Cryptic Studios. It would be nice to think they use several different Windows builds on many different PCs. I am currently testing on my oldest equipment with the best results. Obviously I am not talking about my 32 bit systems over in the corner of the room. :lol:

The current lowest 64 bit system is running;
    • Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz
    • Memory 8125MB (953MB used)
    • Machine Type Mini Tower
    • Operating System LXLE Linux 18.04.3 64bit
    • Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
    • OpenGL Renderer GeForce GT 710/PCIe/SSE2
    • X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
    Meanwhile I can boot into Windows on this same machine and it gets 'laggy' on higher GPU settings or when I run the capture program. I did see a white flash in PE today, riding through the tunnel up near Sybella. Otherwise not experiencing the invisible NPC's Windows 10 either. I did try to record a video in Windows but it lagged so badly, all I got was still frames and sounds.

Before someone says, I am being bias toward Linux OS, yes I am bias, using Windows for year the experience has made me bias. I am not messing with my results to prove one OS is better than the other. I am just stating for this game, I am currently having less issue with running this under Linux OS and OpenGL, than running it in Windows 10 and DirectX.

The game is running ok in Windows 10, until I increase the graphics beyond normal or mid range. If anyone has some video or screen shots they should probably post them and make a thread in "bug reports".
    edited July 2021
    OK I went in and made the video, initially it flashed as normal and expected but strangely in the video itself when I viewed it back I could not see any flash on playback even though it was quite obvious when it happened, I have no idea why that was. But I logged out and back in and saw more flashing and this time it did capture on the video playback. First clip was actually done second, as I run towards the market you can see the flash on the wall, I then open settings and check to see what they are. Second clip was recorded just prior when I was returning from elsewhere to record a video of the disappearing npcs, and as I was going along there were two flashes. First one is on the building at the bottom of the stairs, you can see the windows flash white, second flash is the side of the coster market and quite a large area as well.

I reviewed my graphics settings and they all seem as normal, only the shader setting was not at max and only set to very high, but I can't be certain that it was changed by the game in the patch because it may have been GeForce Experience automatically doing that when it was optimized last and I didn't know about it. If I was setting it manually I would have it at max so I put it back to that.
    I also just did these screenshots from the above embedded video, it's better to watch the video and see them in real time, but these images are showing exactly what bits are flashing white.

• foxxy#4211 foxxy Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 563 Arc User

@noworries#8859
    I am not seeing this on Linux OS, this may be DirectX related, and how the game client is making calls to the DirectX. I know that doesn't help the users at all. I hope the developers will see this comment and take a closer look into their graphics hooking. White flashes might be a delay of loading graphic textures into the client from the libraries? Which might not be the result of latency (server lag) but instead it could be graphic settings.

I will pop over to Window 10, and let you know what I am seeing there, but preview everything looked fine.

To the users:

Most likely your settings got reset in the update. The ones experiencing graphical issue accompanied with rubber-banding, please go to your Options and set the sliders in the Graphics tab to minimum and bring them up slowly as you play. If you comprehend the detailed settings below the sliders, turn the world and terrain settings down to medium and leave the character at max or high. If the flashes are in the distance sky or background, the world setting is where to look. f the flashes are on the ground or buildings, the terrain setting is where to look.

If you continue to have both graphical issues and lag, try setting the resolution lower or play in a smaller windowed setting. This is not the fault of your hardware so don't run out and buy a new graphics adapter thinking it will solve your problems. I am not pointing fingers at the developers either, they are doing their best working with what they have. They probably need to look into some "old school solutions" for their
    API calls. The game engine wasn't originally created for the latest and greatest and I suspect it is having a hard time keeping up. Without hands on information all I can do is speculate.

I've been pIaying with aII graphic settings to minimun vaIues, off/ Iow, etc since the reIease of ravenIoft, because im aware that my Iaptop's graphic card isnt supporting this kinda games, but since then i've pIayed normaIIy, sometimes it shuts down, but since the new mod everything is messed up, so it might have something reIated, i tried "force verify" to see if anything happens, do you have any other idea on what i can do?
  • blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    Looks like DirectX to me. I get that sometimes, not as bad. Is it tied to Nvidia only? I have a very old Nvidia card, I think this one was made by Moses... let me verify it... BRB.

Name: Nvidia GeForce GT 320
    Manufacturer: Moshe Rabbenu
    Manufacture Date: 1592 BC
    Chip Set: Dorito
    Device Type: Nacho Cheese
    Tech Support: Smithsonian Institution

Now I don't know if I really want to pay $500 for an upgrade or not. :trollface:

Just killing time...
    edited July 2021
    If you really are running a GT 320 you do indeed have an artifact relic.
    Edit: The GeForce GT 320 OEM was a graphics card by NVIDIA, launched on February 2nd, 2010.

Back on the topic...

@rockster#6227 I can see the texture on your video was loaded, blinked to white, then loaded again. This hasn't occurred while my testing in Linux OS looking for these kind of a graphical issue. I was looking for issues on the wrong end. DirectX, Z buffering, and Nvidia drivers have been blamed for this issue happening by games for the last year now. I read this on several forums from Reddit, WoW, Final Fantasy, etc. all them saying it is not their game. They all claim it is DirectX 11 or 12, or they claim Nvidia has bad drivers, sounds like they want to play pass the buck and not solve the problem.

@foxxy#4211 I don't think there is anything any end-user can do at this point. DirectX was created by Microsoft as a graphics library for games and they created the XBox to feature it. I always looked at these shortcuts as a cheat, back in my old DOS days we had to know how to display graphics ourselves. Almost all Windows games uses the latest DirectX package. They distribute the package freely so developers will use it as opposed to OpenGL or some other library. Programmers use these to avoid learning how to code it yourself. :wink:

I personally haven't programmed anything with DirectX since version 8 or 9. I try very hard to avoid using anything I don't fully understand. I can appreciate it would take more time to "reinvent the wheel". I am just saying, I have always wanted to know I can repair the wheel, when it has a flat. Cryptic Studios should (I hope) have a few people there, who know the DirectX software developer's kit well enough to know what went wrong and fix it.
    edited July 2021
    If it was even related to directX it's probably something they have done at Cryptics end which isn't working well with directX now, I say this because as I have mentioned I was getting the white flash on the market the one time and the one time only and then no more flashes even when I played for 8 hours or more straight, however since this patch I have seen them happening more regularly. And that one initial flash I have noticed is pretty recent in the grand scheme of things anyway, probably since sharandar 2.0 came out. I have never seen a flash on any system I have used to play the game since I started in mod 2. Only recently. I think it's something they have done and not us.

I do think that it's strange that yes, the texture loads and then portions of it go away and then come back, the only time I have ever seen anything slightly like this was when I was building and two textures would be overlapping incorrectly and the game did not know which one to draw. But it didn't really look like this white flash, it looked more like a stripey effect and tearing with uneven edges to it where the two competing textures shimmered against each other when only one was supposed to be showing. This was always fixed by moving the offending surface 1 or 2 pixels back underneath the surface which was meant to show. But it's the closest thing I can think of I've seen before. Like why just the windows which did it and not the other windows? What makes them different? Could it be the texture placement where they are slightly further away from the camera (like one pixel only) which is causing it and the base structure underneath is pure white? Same with the wall of the market, why only one panel on the market and two others lower down and not more of them, what makes those panels different than anything else which is not doing it? The issue is obviously limited to only certain panels in the build and not others. (The flash on the market I see every day now is always in the same spot btw.) But if that was the issue it would be repeatable and just moving back and forth and around while looking at it would repeat it and this doesn't happen, so I'm not sure that's even it, but it's the closest thing I can think of that I've seen myself.

As far as my drivers go, I receive regular updates about once a month or so via GeForce Experience so whatever driver I have installed right now is the latest one and I can't really do much about it but I don't think it's the drivers at all, I think something is happening at Cryptic's end which is causing issues because only just suddenly since this patch multiple display issues are being reported atm by lots of people. Btw, you said you ran through the tunnel and saw a flash, what GPU were you using at that time?

One other thing and I'm not even sure this IS a thing yet, but the first day I was playing mod21 during Demo actually, I felt that during very busy battles with loads of effects going on and lots of players (not solo just busy busy moments with loads happening at once), it was hard to see what was going on and to my eyes just looked like a big busy mess. I've never had that before. What I mean is that I was having difficulty focusing on what was happening and what I needed to look at in some weird way I could not put my finger on, just it was hard to see any detail at the time and I felt disorientated while playing like I didn't know what I was supposed to be looking at and I am wondering if they have done something rather huge to the way the game is running and displaying that we are unaware of.
  • empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    This is the first time in a while I have had to travel and its totally unplayable now on my laptop. No idea if it has anything to do with the new mod. The world detail is fine. But my toon, npcs, mobs all look like ray tracing gone mad. On the opening screen with the list of alts it renders somewhat usable but my eyes are poppling out of my head and my legs look all weird and turning to the side looks like folded paper.
    This has always been usable before but I guess they have made some change that won't work with older graphics hardware. Guess I won't do much besides get my keys the next few days.
    May see if there is a newer video driver but I doubt it.