test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Audio Skipping

SystemSystem Member Posts: 3,183 Arc User
edited December 2020 in Peer to Peer Tech Forum
This discussion was created from comments split from: Audio Options, Output Device: Unknown?.
Post edited by frozenfirevr on

Comments

• faiza#9289 faiza Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I'm having an issue where I do have audio in game (PC), but the audio is badly distorted. It skips like a scratched CD. I'm generally not bothered by bugs here and there but this is really hindering my ability to play. I'd hate to have to turn sound off completely. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    First, I only hope a moderator will not place this in the trash bin for necromancy...

To diagnose your issue start the game and type /options in chat (alternate Esc key and Options from menu).

Click the "Audio" tab and look down the list to "Output device", if there is more than one device in the drop down you must have more than one device being identified as a sound card. I have a sound hardware manager, Pulse Audio, and it is listed as my only audio device. While my motherboard has on board audio, so does my video card with HDMI. Pulse Audio sorts it all out for me. Make sure your device is selected or you may not have audio at all.

Next slide all the values to zero and the top slider "Overall volume" at 100%. In turn, test each type of sound track the game offers by moving them to 100% and back to zero. What you need to know is if the "scratchy noise" is coming from one track in particular. Also try each one with and without the digital processing selected. The "mute voice after dialog" option is just to stop quest providers from repeating what they have already told you.

If the noise persists in all the tracks muted or not, expand the voice chat settings and tick "Disable Voice Chat". If this works, my theory is, you may have a built in microphone and the "Open Microphone" is selected. If that is true, you could be getting interference.

If none of this produced any positive results, the next step would be, to do a verification at login. Verify all the audio files in the library are installed and intact;

1. DO NOT open Arc or Steam launcher, if Arc or Steam is running exit out of those launchers.
    2. Locate the place Neverwinter executable, you can do a file search for Neverwinter.exe It should be in a folder titled Cryptic Studios.
    3. Select the Neverwinter.exe to run it.
    4. You will be prompted to enter username and password HOWEVER at the top of the window is Options, click there first.
    5. No check marks, except "Force Verify" check only this one.
    6. Press Save and now enter username and password.
    7. Go watch something or have a meal, "Force Verify" will be a long process of checking all files are correct.

Let us know what the results are when you are done.
  • faiza#9289 faiza Member Posts: 2 Arc User

First, I only hope a moderator will not place this in the trash bin for necromancy...

To diagnose your issue start the game and type /options in chat (alternate Esc key and Options from menu).

Click the "Audio" tab and look down the list to "Output device", if there is more than one device in the drop down you must have more than one device being identified as a sound card. I have a sound hardware manager, Pulse Audio, and it is listed as my only audio device. While my motherboard has on board audio, so does my video card with HDMI. Pulse Audio sorts it all out for me. Make sure your device is selected or you may not have audio at all.

Next slide all the values to zero and the top slider "Overall volume" at 100%. In turn, test each type of sound track the game offers by moving them to 100% and back to zero. What you need to know is if the "scratchy noise" is coming from one track in particular. Also try each one with and without the digital processing selected. The "mute voice after dialog" option is just to stop quest providers from repeating what they have already told you.

If the noise persists in all the tracks muted or not, expand the voice chat settings and tick "Disable Voice Chat". If this works, my theory is, you may have a built in microphone and the "Open Microphone" is selected. If that is true, you could be getting interference.

If none of this produced any positive results, the next step would be, to do a verification at login. Verify all the audio files in the library are installed and intact;

1. DO NOT open Arc or Steam launcher, if Arc or Steam is running exit out of those launchers.
    2. Locate the place Neverwinter executable, you can do a file search for Neverwinter.exe It should be in a folder titled Cryptic Studios.
    3. Select the Neverwinter.exe to run it.
    4. You will be prompted to enter username and password HOWEVER at the top of the window is Options, click there first.
    5. No check marks, except "Force Verify" check only this one.
    6. Press Save and now enter username and password.
    7. Go watch something or have a meal, "Force Verify" will be a long process of checking all files are correct.

Let us know what the results are when you are done.

Thank you for this! I unfortunately had to necro a thread because I did not have posting permissions at the time.

I did submit a ticket but nothing they suggested helped.

Unfortunately it is not one track in particular that skips but all of them.

I will attempt to do this "force verify" process.

Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.