test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Companions and counter stats

wilbur626wilbur626 Member Posts: 1,019 Arc User
After the latest changes to how bonding runestones work for non-augment companions, I’ve been trying to find a companion that is worth using.

As everyone should know by now, these companions can not in any way achieve the stats needed to be at full potential in combat as they need to reach the exact same stats as players.

The closest I can get to gearing a “DPS” companion properly, is by stacking all Armor Penetration gear + Armor Penetration runestones (leaving my toon with about 170.000 armor penetration) This means most hits will be non-crits and most likely deflected, and my toon is unable to achieve stats needed for playing actual content.

If this is working as intended, new players (we want more of those @cwhitesidedev#9752 ) should be informed that the current quality of the companion system is at a state where only augment companions are worth investing in for use in combat.
Elite Whaleboy

Comments

• kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    so players need 90k armor max cap for end game content ..yet you feel your companion needs 170k LOL omg
    yup you sure seem to know about counter stats ..
  • deaththaed#4569 deaththaed Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    Kalina you need to read more closely if you want to make fun about others or you Sure seem to not know how compagnions and bondings work. HE said his charakter would have 170k stat if he uses all armor pen gear on his comp to achieve the cap stats for his comp. And that defenetly is what will happen trough bondings. His comment was all about Getting stats for comp to 90k wich is 1st not possible for all at once. and 2nd not needed
    At least for some like xuna or abyssal chicken to boost dps
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    tbh I feel it would be appropriate to use for the damage formula purposes the player’s stats... like the weapon damage is used.

But either way, the combat companions are a mess. There are 2 that stand out in a big way: Xuna for mobs, Abyssal Chicken for bosses. Those two are even "too" strong, however, the rest usually fails to pay back at least the stats lost by not having the augment bonus. No damage, no taunts, tendency to attack from the same side as you, so no combat advantage. The best they can do is to spook you by placing red warning circles everywhere...

Companions need a loving touch, or get removed completely. This zombie state is painful to watch - and as OP stated, for the new guys it is a let-down at minimum when someone finally introduces them to the harsh reality that their honed aids are... a hindrance.

*edit: and do not feel bad that your companion fails to crit. They all have critical multiplier of 1, so it really does not matter.
  • wilbur626wilbur626 Member Posts: 1,019 Arc User
    > @kalina311 said:
    > so players need 90k armor max cap for end game content ..yet you feel your companion needs 170k LOL omg
    > yup you sure seem to know about counter stats ..

I have no idea how you read my post, but there is nothing in there telling you that I’m under the impression that companions need 170k stats.
    Elite Whaleboy
    > @deaththaed#4569 said:
    > His comment was all about Getting stats for comp to 90k wich is 1st not possible for all at once. and 2nd not needed
    > At least for some like xuna or abyssal chicken to boost dps

You are ofc 100% that reaching caps is not possible (or needed to give a boost to DPS in some cases). My main point is that the way stats/counter stats currently work for non-augment companions is FUBAR. The tooltips on companion skills should at least reflect reality, as reaching effectiveness over 20% is unrealistic.

As you point out, some companions (looking at you Abyssal Chicken) would be extremely overpowered if the stat system simply got adjusted to reach effective stat caps.

@rikitaki Player stats = Companion stats would be a very nice solution, removing the need for players to think about what stats to put on companion (Armor Penetration in current system).
    Elite Whaleboy
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    There are two major adjustments coming to scaling, per the Cryptic schedule... so I would hold off somewhat on current complaints or making any expensive adjustments based on how scaling works now.
    > @zimxero#8085 said:
    > There are two major adjustments coming to scaling, per the Cryptic schedule... so I would hold off somewhat on current complaints or making any expensive adjustments based on how scaling works now.

Do you think current scaling system is in effect fir companions in the latest content? Nothing indicated that is the case imho
    Elite Whaleboy