test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Zariel Trial and mod 19 changes

After several weeks on preview server, with varying levels of success, my opinion is just that the Zariel Trial is not fun. I don't consider myself a top 1% player at all. But I also know that myself and the players I have been running the trial with are highly experienced with the game, with highly effective and well built characters. Yet the trial seems designed to punish the players, for even the tiniest mistake or setback within the trial.

You didn't move within a fraction of a second to get the effect targeted on you away from the group? You are dead. Your team is dead. Cascade effect. Trial reset.

Didn't move super fast to react to mechanics? You are dead. Your dps, healing or Tanking ability reduced. Cascade effect. Trial reset.

Got caught in the group with other players and weren't able to get around them? You are dead. They are dead. Cascade effect. Reset.

I am sure many of the top tier players will find this fun, and will disagree with me. And I am sure some of them genuinely want a challenge.
But when the game designers, developers or whoever decides that content has to be designed with just them and mind, it seems kinda foolish. There will ALWAYS be gamers at varying levels of ability. Please stop designing content that only super decked out characters and top tier players can do.

I am not saying make all content super easy. I am not saying players should not have a challenge. And I do not FULLY disagree with players who have worked on their build and ability being able to get into content fast, and make a profit. What I am saying is. Please stop making succeed or fail mechanics that quite frankly suck the fun out of the content we are doing. Make the rewards worth spending the time, effort and resources on. And STOP nerfing healing. You want players to play healers? You want Healers to be needed? Stop making them a chore to play.

This is a game based of Dungeons and Dragons. And YOU the Developers are quite frankly falling into a trope as old as the game itself:

The combative Dungeon Master who wants to continually Punish and "beat" their players.

Comments

• tom#6998 tom Member Posts: 952 Arc User
    fortunately there will be 2 versions of the trial in mod 19, the one you see on preview now is the harder one, so hopefully the 2cnd one will be more to your taste. Sadly it will only release some time after mod 19 hits the live server, and imo both definitly should come at the same time, but i suppose its to late to change that. Fully agree on the rewards portion, not only for the trial, but for the games content in general, the rewards are not very exciting, to me atleast.
  • lldtlldt Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited June 2020

You didn't move within a fraction of a second to get the effect targeted on you away from the group? You are dead. Your team is dead. Cascade effect. Trial reset.

Didn't move super fast to react to mechanics? You are dead. Your dps, healing or Tanking ability reduced. Cascade effect. Trial reset.

Not trying to defend the trial, but those statements are very inaccurate. 1. The mechanics are always in the same order. 2. When you get targeted (yellow dashed line), you have about 5-6 seconds before the swords are released. You basically have to start moving within 2-2.5 seconds to ensure you clear your group. That's hardly "a fraction of a second."

The debuff occurs from spreading light and the Parhelion / Athelion (sp?) pair of attacks. I'm guessing you are talking about the latter because Zariel does one, flies up and when she returns, does the OTHER without a delay (except the 1st time she does it). Once you recognize the move, you will know when to stay close and when to stay far and therefore not need to "move super fast to react to mechanics"
    Post edited by lldt on