test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Question about AoE and ST

gradiigradii Member Posts: 280 Arc User
I see a lot of build guides using aoe and single target as seperate loadouts, this suggests loadouts can be quickly swapped in combat with a keybind, since nobody is going to run a whole dungeon with adds with only single target attacks.

Can someone explain how I can set this up?

Comments

• krevgkrevg Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    You just go to a campfire and change loadouts. Nothing special.
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    So you're saying that people use the AoE loadout when starting a dungeon, and swap before the boss? I'm trying to understand why a dedicated ST and AoE loadout is even a good idea, it sounds SUPER inconvenient.
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    Swapping individual encounters is more annoying than hitting one button to change your power tray and your gear (your gear may also vary from ST to AoE).

Feats and entire paragon paths may need to be swapped for decent performance.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• forniinccorpforniinccorp Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    😂
    I run completely different gear sets for bosses vs trash
    Different weapons, companions, feats, even boons

No way am I swapping all that everytime
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    gradii said:

So you're saying that people use the AoE loadout when starting a dungeon, and swap before the boss? I'm trying to understand why a dedicated ST and AoE loadout is even a good idea, it sounds SUPER inconvenient.

What is inconvenient about taking 2 seconds to switch loadouts? A lot of people also use the time to refresh potion/food buffs.
    arazith07 said:

gradii said:

What is inconvenient about taking 2 seconds to switch loadouts? A lot of people also use the time to refresh potion/food buffs.
    Because the same boss room often contains hordes of mobs and a big boss- in which case unless you can swap anytime in combat, you have to choose one loadout.

Therefore its far superior just to make a loadout which does both jobs to a decent degree than make one which does only one super well.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    You can't swap any time in combat. That's one of the main reasons it is set up the way it is.

Not everyone switches at the end. One or two remain able to manage the crowd.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    Most end game bosses also only have just the boss, or so few that it doesn't take long to kill them. Or as Greywynd says above, some are stay in AoE.
    arazith07 said:

Most end game bosses also only have just the boss, or so few that it doesn't take long to kill them. Or as Greywynd says above, some are stay in AoE.

Oh, so basically you use ST specific loadouts just for those bosses? that makes sense. everything I've done so far on my only level 80 character has had a lot of adds in the same instance as the boss, and sometimes in the boss fight.

She doesn't have higher than 15k item level yet though.

I guess this is the disadvantage of a combat system where you can only have a few attacks out of your arsenal at once- people expect you to switch all the time even when its not required just to get an extra few % damage.

I'd switch if I KNEW there wouldn't be add packs- but if I think theres gonna be a lot of adds, you bet I'm bringing at least one good aoe.