test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Contest - April 5th

sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User

As you take a seat in this fine establishment, you see a red haired man with a long vertical scar running down his face across his right eye. The scar goes almost unoticed because of this man's dazzling green eyes. Obviously well dressed, he appears to be a man of wealth and taste.

He smiles at you and holds up a card, "A friendly game of chance and skill?"

"What games do you play?", you ask the stranger.

"I know many, but I have a game I like to play the most called, Liars Gambit. I will teach it to you, so you can play with your friends.", he looks about the room, "Maybe 2 more can join us? It isn't a game for a few players and best played with a dealer."

"What are the stakes?", you ask him.

"How about this, since you are new to this game, you will bet nothing. If you can best me at my own game, I will offer up one of my treasures. By the way, my name is William Robert Snooks, my friends call me Will.", he shakes your hand.

RULES
Liars Gambit is a card game where the players goal is to discard of all of their cards. It is a game of deception, with cards being played traded to the dealer and players being permitted to lie about the cards they have played. A challenge is made by players calling the player a "liar" (e.g. Will is a liar.) and the loser of a challenge receives every card played so far from the dealer's hand.

All players are invited to a party with the dealer. The dealer has a deck of tarokkah cards. The players don't need to own cards, there is no requirements to have been to Barovia, and anyone who can chat and open trade can play.

The players must have their inventory empty of low (blue) cards, this can be done by mailing the cards to yourself in game mail. The dealer at the start of the game, uses an online shuffler to shuffle the deck of 40 cards. No high (purple) cards are used. The dealer trades the cards to each player in the party. He omits the Masters, if there are four players and only 1 to 9 ranks are dealt and played. If there are three players the Master cards are used and played as well. The order of play is determined by the dealer.

The first player chooses card(s) from their hand, and trades it back to the dealer and announces what rank they are (1, 2, 3, etc.), which can be a lie. If any player thinks another player is lying, they can call the player out on it by announcing "Liar". Players are not allowed to lie about the quantity they are giving the dealer. If they are caught in a lie, the dealer returns all cards in their hand to the lair. If they didn't lie, the dealer returns all cards in their hand to the accuser. Play continues like this until the game is over. The game ends when the player announces they have no cards remaining, the players return all cards to the dealer and rewards are exchanged.

NOTES & QUESTIONS
This is not gambling, it is a simple contest. All 3 players who challenge Will Snooks will receive rewards win or lose. The players who beat Will, will get something extra. The reward list and a list of times and places, will be posted in this thread sometime in March.

Q: What happens, if I never went to Barovia? I am new, low level, and never been there.
A: We already tested this out. A level 18 took a card from mail and was given the box to hold their cards in inventory. If you can trade and chat, you can play. I really want to see new users out playing in my contests!

Q: Why Sunday the 5th of April? That seems a long way off. Why announce it now?
A: My oldest son's birthday is April 2nd and I want to avoid conflicts as we might be at his party on Saturday. Fewer people work on Sundays. I am giving people plenty of notice, so I don't see mail about how they wish they would have known.

Q: Can I help out? What can I donate?
A: Yes. Help out by spreading the word to people you play with in the game. Don't get too spammy, just mention it when you are thinking about it. Donations are always welcomed, you can even send extra blue cards directly to my mail box in game (@sandukutupu) .

Q: Can I play more than once?
A: Only once per user on Sunday. If more items are still available, I will schedule second session the following weekend (11th or the 12th).

Q: How can you tell, if another player is cheating your game by using their own cards?
A: We hired the best mind flayers. Actually the dealer is acting as neutral entity. They have only 40 cards in their hand at the start of every round. Another player adding their own card in the mix, will show up as a duplicate, and there will be one missing elsewhere. This is why all remaining cards are returned to the dealer and then the prizes are rewarded.

Q: Why don't you just spend all that AD on VIP or an legendary mount for yourself? What do you gain from hosting these contests?
A: I do spend AD on my characters sometimes, but the game loses any appeal to play and have fun, when your characters are god-like. I play for the sense of community and I hope this will give players another reason to seek their own story and content within Neverwinter.
wb-cenders.gif
Post edited by sandukutupu on

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Thanks to all the players who sent me those cards! :heart:

All I am missing at present are; 9 of glyphs, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 9 of coins. I am sure I will get them before April 5th. Here are just some of the prizes, I am going to be giving to players, who best Will Snooks at his own game. Others players will get prizes too!

Mounts & Companions
    Decaying Stag - Epic Mount
    Mist Form - Epic Mount
    Cavalry Tyrannosaur - Epic Mount
    Epic Giant Toad - Epic Mount
    Hellfire Engine - Epic Mount
    Barlgura - Epic Mount
    Incubus - Epic Companion
    Succubus - Epic Companion
    Remorhaz - Epic Companion
    Cat - Epic Companion

Acquired Treasures Epic Companion Pack
    Excavated Epic Companion Pack
    Cambion Magus - Rare Companion
    Ioun Stone of Radiance - Augment
    Ioun Stone of Might - Augment

Angel of Protection - Epic Companion
    Renegade Evoker - Uncommon Companion
    Rat Pup - Event Augment

Special Services
    User @bayaz#7892 has all their Mastercrafting finished and a lot of materials, they have offered their service as a prize;
    One Mastercrafting piece of your choice (no +1 please)

Artifacts & Refinement
    Dark Remnants Set - Book of Vile Darkness, Whip of the Erinyes, and The Engine Master's Mantle
    The Electric Defense Set - Trobriand's Ring, Chained Restraints, and Electric Collar
    Doohickey - Epic Device
    Glorious Resurgence Epic Artifacts Pack
    Bold Grimoire of the Companion +5

Bold Belt of the Companion +4
    Fierce Holy Icon of the Companion +5
    Fierce Belt of the Companion +5

Sturdy Grimoire of the Companion +5
    Gigantic Enchantments, Rank 11
    Soulforged Enchantments, Rank 8
    Briartwine Enchantment, Rank 8
    Thunderhead Enchantment, Rank 8

Fireburst Enchantment, Rank 8
    Frostburn Enchantment, Rank 10
    Vicious Enchantment, Rank 10
    Enchanting Stones of various rank
    Blood Rubies
    Brilliant Diamonds
    Preservation Wards

And more!
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    bayaz#7892 bayaz Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    I am not sure, how many coin cards are floating arround in the players decks here after the last double currency event, but you can trade for your missing cards with the one vistani in the camp. I think you need to give him three high cards and you can then buy a random card, that you are missing. Once per week per char i think.

If you do not have enough chars to trade them before your event here, just send me back one each of those you have, i should still have enough high cards to trade for 2 or even 3 each of those you are missing.
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
  • Options
    wamlgon#8772 wamlgon Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    Hey! I’ll try to catch you in game, o would like to add to your prize list and I’m sure I’ve got some cards from barovia, will check when in game later
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    @bayaz#7892 and @wamlgon#8772 Thanks for the cards and so every else knows as well, I now have a full 40 blue cards on Will, plus 2 back ups in the mail box. Will is going to hand the deck off to Reid@blargskull who told me, "Sure, I can be your dealer, if you would stop calling me at 2 am asking me these questions.". I am such a pest. :lol: If anyone else wants to be a back up dealer, send me a message, I really would like to get a person who does the Twitch or YouTube in on this as the dealer.

Game play example: The dealer will hand out these cards to the players in the party of 5 people. Dealer has no cards and doesn't play the game, he is the discard pile. Will Snooks, and 3 other players will play any cards in their hand they want. For example; if player 1 has a one of swords and a one of coins he can play those and not be lying about it. In chat he states "2 ones" and trades them to the dealer. If no one calls him out on the turn player 2 can play their twos. However, for example, player 2 has no twos to play, but plays a one of stars instead. "1 two" the players says, and trades the dealer. If no one calls him out as liar, play continues to player 3. If player 3 plays threes and gets called a liar by player 4, then the dealer hands off all the cards discarded back to player 4. On the other hand, if player 3 plays anything other than threes on that turn and gets called a liar by player 4, then the dealer hands off all the cards discarded back to player 3. If the rounds continue beyond 10 (master) and no player has gone out, then they start back to 1 again.

Prize Distribution: Just so everyone knows, I am not playing favorites. Before the game, I will randomize a list of Grand Prizes for beating Will Snooks and another list of Secondary prizes for participation. These will be then passed out in the order of the matches. I hope to do a lot on Sunday, as stated above, the game will pick back up on the following weekend until the prize bank is depleted.

In this contest, your best armor cannot protect you, your weapons are useless, and your companion will not save you. -- Will Snooks
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    April 5th is only 3 weeks away. If you are interested in taking part in the contest, give me a game mail @sandukutupu , or drop me a PM, or just post on this thread. Tell me what time of day, on Sunday April 5th, will be good for you. If no one signs up, I will be looking for groups randomly on the fifth. I am also interested, if anyone wants to Live Stream the card game. I will keep you posted on planning event times and prizes.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
    Hi @sandukutupu! Any concerns with me sharing this on our social media pages?
  • Options

Hi @sandukutupu! Any concerns with me sharing this on our social media pages?

Feel free to do so, I am looking forward to putting the old cards back to some good use in the game. :+1:
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    bayaz#7892 bayaz Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    Sorry for the delayed reply, been busy.

About the mastercrafting prize: The winner of each round can pick any item currently available from mastercrafting. I do not care, if they pick something as a transmute, for progression in mastercrating or just the most expensive item in the AH to sell it.

I will try to be there, when the event is taking place, but i can not promise to be there. If i am not, the winners can just contact me, preferably here in the forum (I am doing a lot of switching chars invoking ect. in game and i miss a lot of whispers even from friends).

Have fun everybody and may the cards smile on you all!
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Last Week's Schedule

Will Snooks will be in the Moonstone Mask today (Sunday April 5th) starting at 10 am EST - 9 am CT - 8 am - MT - 7 am PST - 3 pm GMT
    • Use O to open social menu, find Will Robert Snooks and check his status - He will either be "playing cards" or "waiting on players".
    • If he is waiting on players, send a tell/whisper to Snooks.
    • If you cannot find him, it means I am offline taking a break, feel free to send mail as to when you will be online.
    • Before you play, start by finding 1 to 2 other players to join us in Moonstone Mask. The party can contain 5 people, the dealer, Snooks and 3 others.
    • Players only need chat and trade to play.
    Should any issue cause the event to move, it will be posted here.
    ---updates---
    I had one disconnect while moving through PE to get to Moonstone Mask. There is a nasty chicken lag in PE but none in the Moonstone Mask. I will be here until noon EST 5 pm GMT and then I will break for lunch. So far, I don't see a lot of players who said they were coming. Maybe they are busy getting a giant chicken mount? -- posted @ 10:58 am EST

We had a great 3 hour card game today, from 11 am EST to 2 pm! Will Robert Snooks will return to the
    Moonstone Mask at 7 pm EST - 6 pm CT - 5 pm - MT - 4 pm PST - midnight GMT
    Get some friends and meet us there! -- posted @ 2:18 pm EST

Another great game 2 hours long, lots of fun and prizes won! My dealer Reid had to get some sleep or I would have done another.
    Meanwhile... if you want to play a game of cards, before this Saturday, send me some mail, include a time place and who will be playing. I will get a dealer and meet you there.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    April 11th Schedule

Will Robert Snooks returned to play Liar's Gambit at the Moonstone Mask April 11th at 10 am EST - 9 am CT - 8 am - MT - 7 am PST - 3 pm GMT -- posted @ 10:12 pm EST

No one showed up, no one interested in playing. I called out for an hour and had not one PM or response. Apparently the Coins of Waukeen drop better loot these days? That must be it. My dealer got tired of waiting, so we packed it up after an hour.

Will Robert Snooks will return to play Liar's Gambit 11th at 3 pm EST - 2 pm CT - 1 pm MT - noon PST - 7 pm GMT location to be announced... maybe the Tower District or Blacklake? -- posted @ 11:18

Today seems to be a no go. I am talking and no one is interested. I got my dealer online twice just have him fall asleep on the table in the Moonstone Mask. He charges me by the hour... maybe I can get him back for a late night game?

Contact me by Mail or PM me in game to get a seat at the next table.
    • Send me a time and place, bring up to 2 friends along with you.
    • These games are very fun and also long. Plan to be busy, set aside maybe 2 hours.
    • Set up time can be reduced, be sure your blue cards are out of inventory and in the mail box to yourself.
    Have fun! <3
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    April 12th Schedule

Will Robert Snooks will be ready to play Liars Gambit assuming I have players and a dealer.

Contact me by Mail or PM me in game to get a seat at the next table.
    • Send me a time and place, bring up to 2 friends along with you.
    • These games are very fun and also long. Plan to be busy, set aside maybe 2 hours.
    • Set up time can be reduced, be sure your blue cards are out of inventory and in the mail box to yourself.
    I will online in the game in about 10 mins after I post this information.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    April 19th Schedule

If anyone is interested in playing Lairs Gambit, the contest at this point is "on demand", I tried to get players both inside and outside the Moonstone Mask to play cards. All I was offered in exchange was a lap dance. Got to love those role-players! :heart:

Will Snooks will return to bark at the crowd again on May 16th

Until then, here is how to get a game rolling with me before May 16th;
    • Send me a game mail as to what time (2 hour block) and date you and your friends can play.
    • Give me 24 hours notice at least, so I can attempt to find a dealer.
    • If no dealer is available, I will act as dealer and up to 4 players can compete for best prize among the 4 of you.
    • When there are 4 players we use odd number of cards 1 to 9, with 3 players we use all 10 cards.
    • All players get a prize, everyone wins. Get your something nice to put in your Stronghold vault!
    See you soon!
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Available prizes updated for May 16th.

Mounts & Companions
    Epic Giant Toad - Epic Mount
    Succubus - Epic Companion
    Acquired Treasures Epic Companion Pack
    Excavated Epic Companion Pack
    Cambion Magus - Rare Companion
    Ioun Stone of Radiance - Augment
    Ioun Stone of Might - Augment
    Angel of Protection - Epic Companion
    Renegade Evoker - Uncommon Companion
    Rat Pup - Event Augment

Artifacts & Refinement
    The Electric Defense Set - Trobriand's Ring, Chained Restraints, and Electric Collar
    One voucher for; Mastercrafting piece of your choice (no +1 please)
    Doohickey - Epic Device
    Bold Belt of the Companion +4
    Sturdy Grimoire of the Companion +5
    Gigantic Enchantments, Rank 11
    Soulforged Enchantments, Rank 8
    Fireburst Enchantment, Rank 8
    Frostburn Enchantment, Rank 10
    Vicious Enchantment, Rank 10
    Enchanting Stones of various rank

Thanks for playing! <3
    wb-cenders.gif