test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tanks and offensive stats?

Hi all, i just want to ask a quick question here.
So i play a Paladin Tank since i started playing the game and my build focuses mostly on Hit Points and defensive stats (I'm overcaped and all of my def stats are 100k+) but i lack all offensive stats (most of them are only 60k).
I was looking at some people who run similar builds and most of them decide to cap Armor penetration or some other offensive stat, there reason being to get aggro.
But do i really have to do this? I run Templar's wrath that increases threat, Smite that increases threat and Vow of Enmity that also puts me on top of the threat list, also my at-will is Oath Strike that increases threat. Tbh I never had any problems keeping aggro, i played a lot of LoMM (not ToMM sadly because i can never find a party) and the new campaign stuff and I'm able to keep aggro without any problems, so i was wondering is that really necessary? Do i have to get some offensive stats caped and am I just missing something?

Thanks! +ape :)
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    wilbur626wilbur626 Member Posts: 1,019 Arc User
    Capped offensive stats makes aggro management easier when playing with endgame DPS. Overcapping defensive stats = wasted stat points.
    Elite Whaleboy
  • Options
    rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    Overcapping some stat is usually really wasting of resources.
    Even if you are already a flawless tank (btw: good job if you really are,) you can reallocate your stats more effectively - and do more damage (even if it is not your job).
  • Options
    promin3nc3#8884 promin3nc3 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    wilbur626 said:

Capped offensive stats makes aggro management easier when playing with endgame DPS. Overcapping defensive stats = wasted stat points.

rikitaki said:

Overcapping some stat is usually really wasting of resources.
    Even if you are already a flawless tank (btw: good job if you really are,) you can reallocate your stats more effectively - and do more damage (even if it is not your job).

Ok, thank you for the advice. What offensive stats do you suggest? I have 100k+ power i thought that could make up for the lack of armor pen, critical strike and stuff, but i guess i could throw out a few radinats to buff other stats, plus i dont think that i need 100k awareness, i didnt notice any change with it or without it so i could swap that out for something else
  • Options
    arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    For offensive stats, I would cap arpen and acc, then power. Crit is nice, but it caps at 50% and you will likely get more mileage from power. If you can cap all 3 offensive stats that have caps though, go for it.

Armor Penetration and Accuracy are important as they will have a larger impact on your overall damage than more power would. If you go from 75k armor penetration to 85k for the new zone for example, you are doing about 10% more damage, where 10k more power might not be 2% depending on how high your power is.
  • Options
    zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    There are 3 kinds of tanks:

Maximum Defense: These tanks are great in top end content like ToMM
    Maximum Offense: These tanks have 70% of the DPS of an HDPS and are great for all content until ToMM
    Hybrid Tanks: A mix of all stats but usually sacrificing some power and health to achieve this.

Players love max defense tanks and they are cheap to develop, but you might not like to play the game without more DPS. An example of a good hybrid is:

Critical Strike = 75,000
    Armor Penetration: 80,000
    Accuracy = 75,000
    Defense = 80,000

These are the staple targets above. The rest of the stats are flexible by need.

Deflect, Crit Resist, Power, and Health need to be balanced by you. Awareness and Combat Advantage don't need to be touched.. just take what gear gives you. Power should be at least 100,000 but more is better. Health should be 500,000+. Critical Avoid and Deflect are not very effective... so prioritize Health. Deflect is better than Crit Avoid except in ToMM where a single hit critical hit against you can approach a million damage.

• Options
    > @zimxero#8085 said:
    > There are 3 kinds of tanks:
    >
    > Maximum Defense: These tanks are great in top end content like ToMM
    > Maximum Offense: These tanks have 70% of the DPS of an HDPS and are great for all content until ToMM
    > Hybrid Tanks: A mix of all stats but usually sacrificing some power and health to achieve this.
    >
    > Players love max defense tanks and they are cheap to develop, but you might not like to play the game without more DPS. An example of a good hybrid is:
    >
    > Critical Strike = 75,000
    > Armor Penetration: 80,000
    > Accuracy = 75,000
    > Defense = 80,000
    >
    > These are the staple targets above. The rest of the stats are flexible by need.
    >
    > Deflect, Crit Resist, Power, and Health need to be balanced by you. Awareness and Combat Advantage don't need to be touched.. just take what gear gives you. Power should be at least 100,000 but more is better. Health should be 500,000+. Critical Avoid and Deflect are not very effective... so prioritize Health. Deflect is better than Crit Avoid except in ToMM where a single hit critical hit against you can approach a million damage.

A hybrid can easily cap all stats, have 160k+ power and 650k+ HP
    Elite Whaleboy
  • Options
    arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    Aside from some defensive stats and CA, the caps are 85k for the newest content (50K+enemy ratings). Awareness is capped at 95k(50k+10k base+ratings), crit avoid is 90k(50k+5k base+ratings), CA is 135K (100K+ratings). Our own Crit and CA already have the base added to the number shown on the character sheet.
  • Options
    zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    wilbur626 said:

> @zimxero#8085 said:

> There are 3 kinds of tanks:

>

> Maximum Defense: These tanks are great in top end content like ToMM

> Maximum Offense: These tanks have 70% of the DPS of an HDPS and are great for all content until ToMM

> Hybrid Tanks: A mix of all stats but usually sacrificing some power and health to achieve this.

>

> Players love max defense tanks and they are cheap to develop, but you might not like to play the game without more DPS. An example of a good hybrid is:

>

> Critical Strike = 75,000

> Armor Penetration: 80,000

> Accuracy = 75,000

> Defense = 80,000

>

> These are the staple targets above. The rest of the stats are flexible by need.

>

> Deflect, Crit Resist, Power, and Health need to be balanced by you. Awareness and Combat Advantage don't need to be touched.. just take what gear gives you. Power should be at least 100,000 but more is better. Health should be 500,000+. Critical Avoid and Deflect are not very effective... so prioritize Health. Deflect is better than Crit Avoid except in ToMM where a single hit critical hit against you can approach a million damage.

A hybrid can easily cap all stats, have 160k+ power and 650k+ HP

A hybrid cannot easily cap all stats and have 160k+power/650k+ HP. With every single available technique, expense, and equipment available... you can achieve this. (to say easy is dead wrong). If you want to equip lower IL gear then its possible at all, and will require focus and sacrifice.
  • Options
    @zimxero#8085 You are right, “easily” is not the correct word to describe the process of gearing a hybrid. I read your post as you claimed there HAD to be sacrifice of HP/Power to build hybrid.
    Elite Whaleboy