test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why Barbarian (or formerly Great Weapon Fighter) and not Warlord?

I sought out 4th edition Player's Handbook and was surprised to see that only one class was not translated to Neverwinter and curious about it as that seems like a significant modification.

Comments

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    Check the 5th edition instead.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    edited January 2020

I sought out 4th edition Player's Handbook and was surprised to see that only one class was not translated to Neverwinter and curious about it as that seems like a significant modification.

Guardian Fighter (now just Fighter) could be sorta played like a Warlord back in the day with its Tactician tree.

• nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
    WotC has the final say in names so it frequently comes down to what they felt was more fitting or appropriate.
  • roadkill#6177 roadkill Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    @nitocris83, just to clarify, I may have chosen the wrong word "translated" in the original post to describe what I mean: I'm curious/confused not about the name of the classes but the Warlord class itself (ie. the powers/playstyle of that class) and why Great Weapon Fighter (not a 4th Edition class) was included in Neverwinter instead. Neverwinter has 8 classes atm, 7 of which closely resemble in name and function the classes found in the 4e PHB.

@nitocris83, just to clarify, I may have chosen the wrong word "translated" in the original post to describe what I mean: I'm curious/confused not about the name of the classes but the Warlord class itself (ie. the powers/playstyle of that class) and why Great Weapon Fighter (not a 4th Edition class) was included in Neverwinter instead. Neverwinter has 8 classes atm, 7 of which closely resemble in name and function the classes found in the 4e PHB.

Neverwinter has 8 classes atm, all 8 classes have the exact same name in the 5th edition of PHB which has 12+1 classes.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
    edited January 2020
    Sorry, I didn't comment but I knew about 5th ed classes already, just that the launch of Neverwinter preceded 5th Edition it seems and GWF was included as an original class in Neverwinter.
    Post edited by roadkill#6177 on
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Fighter was the class. Great Weapon and Guardian were build names.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
    Oh, I struggle to find what the original classes were and I guess I got that wrong. I had assumed thus far that Wizard, Cleric, Fighter, Rogue and Great Weapon Fighter were the original classes. If anyone could elaborate or clarify or better yet cite where I could see that also thanks.

Oh, I struggle to find what the original classes were and I guess I got that wrong. I had assumed thus far that Wizard, Cleric, Fighter, Rogue and Great Weapon Fighter were the original classes. If anyone could elaborate or clarify or better yet cite where I could see that also thanks.

Original class of what? Neverwinter or DnD Handbook?

For Neverwinter, Control Wizard, Devoted Cleric, Guardian Fighter, Trickery Rogue, Great Weapon Fighter.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Guardian Fighter and Great Weapon Fighter were variant builds on the stock Fighter class. Neverwinter simulated the Fourth Edition builds by making different classes in the game rather than allowing you to customize. I believe that in Pen and Paper, you picked a class and could customize as you desired or just take a build, a preset group of options. Regardless, GF (now just Fighter) and GWF were both Fighters in the tabletop sense. This is why they had the same Paragon choices, Blademaster and Iron Vanguard, before Mod 16 remade them.

Fighter was the only class that was treated this way. We could have seen new classes in Neverwinter like Brawny Rogue which would have shared elements with Trickster Rogue. However, the shared paragon thing with Fighter classes wasn't well received in NW and then 5th edition of the PnP game swept it all away. This occurred around mod 3 for NW, Curse of Icewind Dale.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
    Yes, I meant for Neverwinter's starting classes.

So, my assumption was correct about the 5 starting classes?

If yes, then I remain confused why Great Weapon Fighter was chosen instead of Warlord.
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User

Yes, I meant for Neverwinter's starting classes.

So, my assumption was correct about the 5 starting classes?

If yes, then I remain confused why Great Weapon Fighter was chosen instead of Warlord.

Because Wizards of the Coast told them to do it. Partly because they had 5E pretty close to finishing and releasing and Warlord isn't in the Player's Handbook, and partly because they felt the class was more in line with the GWF fighter subclass.
    edited January 2020
    Okay,

and regarding the polls about which class players would want to see next does that mean choose from the 5e options Bard, Sorcerer, Druid and Monk not in Neverwinter now, or is next class more broad than 5e in scope? And, do they want even more specific voting about class builds including preferences for which Powers, Feats, Paragons, etc.?
    Post edited by roadkill#6177 on
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

Okay,

and regarding the polls about which class players would want to see next does that mean choose from the 5e options Bard, Sorcerer, Druid and Monk not in Neverwinter now, or is this a broader question? And, do they want even more specific voting about class builds including preferences for which Powers, Feats, Paragons, etc.?

Those polls have been dead for a long long time.

And I highly doubt that players will get a big say in what paragons/powers/feats will be given to a new class, since new powers need new coding, new special effects, new animation, and more.

The only time I can remember any feedback on a new power happening was with Fireball, which used to be a power known as Cataclysm and used the Heart of the Red Dragon animation. The only reason Cataclysm got changed into Fireball was because enough Wizards qq'd about it (and also because there was an animation available from SW's Fiery Bolt /an enemy animation).

So, I doubt anything interesting will happen, but maybe Chris will live up to his resume and surprise us with a new class, or even a new subclass for everyone.