test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How comes Clerics have 2 offenses slots when GF only have 1?

oxymaoxyma Member Posts: 30 Arc User
edited October 2020 in General Discussion (PC)
With next mod coming next month, maybe Cryptic could consider giving GF 2 offenses slots instead of 1.
So the class can be "playable" again.

Thanks you.
Post edited by oxyma on

Comments

• ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    Meanwhile I'm in a ToMM yesterday with a DPS Barbie that's lighting it up. Guess he just knows how to play his class....
  • exgardianexgardian Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    Only Barbarians ?

Fighters too.

Nonsense to give a FIGHTER class, not a GUARDIAN, but a FIGHTER class with DPS paragon, 3 defense slots and 1 offense slot.
    2fv72Fw.png
  • nightwish021nightwish021 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 20 Arc User
    Indeed, because having one extra companion offensive slot with be game changer...
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    What makes sense to me is to give every class a base of OFF + DEF + UTIL. The other two would be defined by their two Paragon roles:

DPS = OFF
    TANK = DEF
    HEALER = UTIL

1 UTIL, 2 DEF, 2 OFF --- Fighter, Barbarian
    2 UTIL, 1 DEF, 2 OFF --- Cleric, Warlock
    2 UTIL, 2 DEF, 1 OFF --- Paladin
    1 UTIL, 1 DEF, 3 OFF --- Ranger, Rogue, Wizard

• ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User

What makes sense to me is to give every class a base of OFF + DEF + UTIL. The other two would be defined by their two Paragon roles:

DPS = OFF
    TANK = DEF
    HEALER = UTIL

1 UTIL, 2 DEF, 2 OFF --- Fighter, Barbarian
    2 UTIL, 1 DEF, 2 OFF --- Cleric, Warlock
    2 UTIL, 2 DEF, 1 OFF --- Paladin
    1 UTIL, 1 DEF, 3 OFF --- Ranger, Rogue, Wizard

Ahhhh I see what you did here. Fighter and Barbie both gain an offense slot to appease their poor DPS egos.

Warlocks lose an offense slot to appease...oh i mean to HAMSTER off the warlocks because now they will say "oh noes i don't have 1 offense slot and I can never compete now".

Pallies lose a defense slot and have to sort out their companions all over again so yeah they'll be happy too.

Clerics, Rangers, Rogues and Wzards stay the same and are happy as can be.

I love how people spend all this time trying to devise ways to make 2 DPS paragons happy because they don't "measure up" against someone else.

It's obvious the entire idea behind slots was ill thought out. The one thing they neglected to factor in when devising the new companion system was the human ego.
  • putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    clerics use offensive stats to heal (power and crit)

barbies need defensive stats to tank

It makes no difference how many offense or defensive slots you have. It's just semantics as the stats get pushed through the base damage of your attacks and all that really matters is what the end result is (in the case of the glass cannon barbie build, damage). Why worry about a cosmetic issue like how many offensive slots a character has when priority should be around the result. ex. base damage on X attack should be raised because the output should be similar to clerics FF (and of course you should ignore the difference in builds such as divinity management and self buff stacking that makes it take longer for a cleric to even nail a decent hit).

if the design is to get dps on par with a rogue, then that should be your benchmark for damage potential. I'd take all defensive slots if it meant i got to hit like a truck

• milehighxr#1299 milehighxr Member Posts: 461 Arc User
    Better idea is to go back to allowing us to choose what comps we want instead of forcing us into using specific number of offense and defense, or utility. If I main a pally tank and want to run 5 offense power slots, let me do it. It's MY TOON, let me have some customization...
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    Even utility and defense slots got 4k power options.

While I won't say offense slots don't matter, the effect should be fairly small.

It is not lack of offense companion slots that makes a class low dps.
  • hawkeyelhawkeyel Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Being the Cleric is a healer class and the Barb is a tank class you should look toward the other two tank class to draw a conclusion. And yes that would mean the Pally and the Fighter.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    Clerics need two offense to ensure they grab aggro and keep it the first time they heal anyone.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    hawkeyel said:

Being the Cleric is a healer class and the Barb is a tank class you should look toward the other two tank class to draw a conclusion. And yes that would mean the Pally and the Fighter.

barb should be similar to fighter tank/dps roles

cleric should be similar to warlock with healer/dps roles
    greywynd said:

Clerics need two offense to ensure they grab aggro and keep it the first time they heal anyone.

no HAMSTER, threat mechanics are so broken atm. They should have kept mark and just removed it giving combat advantage. Like in the old days when mark was just a threat multiplier and positioning determined CA

• rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    exgardian said:

Only Barbarians ?

Fighters too.

Nonsense to give a FIGHTER class, not a GUARDIAN, but a FIGHTER class with DPS paragon, 3 defense slots and 1 offense slot.

What if I told you that GF was originally christened as "Guardian" and GWF took "Fighter" in the initial stages of Mod 16? When it was renamed to Fighter is unknown to me and, to some extent, you can see vestiges of the hasty rename.

Like the strange pacing of the DPS path if you don't run ahead and get hit, or the Maze Engine "Cloak of the Guardian" showing the GF icon and and no Cloak of the Barbarian (there is a cloak of the Fighter ... but with class icon).

I also find it funny the thread OP is attacking ... Clerics, of all classes. It's not like a potential +10,000 Power will suddenly make you top tier or something.
    putzboy78 said:

no HAMSTER, threat mechanics are so broken atm. They should have kept mark and just removed it giving combat advantage. Like in the old days when mark was just a threat multiplier and positioning determined CA

Nah man, asterdahl was so adamant about the tank specs have ehhh Tab mechanics.
    It's not like we thought that was a bad idea and complained about it...

• exgardianexgardian Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    In combat, a shield strike can be as painful as a sword strike. Shields can be used for attack too just as sword can be used for defend. The fact is: 2 is better than 1

=)
    2fv72Fw.png