test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A better Neverwinter – alot less work for Developers percentage based stats

onlymatonlymat Member Posts: 350 Arc User
I have some suggestions to make the game alot better and reduce the work for Developers in the Future.

The percentage based everything! Let me explain (All things I explain are examples)

Problem 1:

Most Content get outdatet an much too easy – especially Dungeons and skirmishes.
You don´t need to pay attention to attacks and so on. You don´t need to play the mechanics!

Solution now:
Scaling is intrioduced with all those many many bad side effects.
You need to work more and more and you will ALWAYS need to work on Scaling especially when new Content hits.

Better Solution ADDITIONAL reduced Stats:

Every form of Damage reduces something ADDITIONAL based on the player:
For example:

In Kessels the Boss gets those dark balls on you. They do a fixed amount of damage when they hit you – the more you stand inside the more you get damge.

NEW: They should also reduce your Defense for x amount per stack – so for example 2 % per stack – this reduce you can´t get rid off while fighting the Boss! After loading screen when boss is finished you are repaired again. Or if you want to introduce hard versions of the dungeons you can´t get ridd of those reduces the whole dungeon.

Every form of Damage should reduce something % based.

Example:
Fire reduces defense
Poison reduces accuracy
Frost reduces critical strikes
Dread reduces combat advantage
All kind of different damage reduces something % based.

Also mobs should introduce something like that – but only for temp time – so you loose for example 2% defense for 10 seconds. Or 2 % power and so on.

Why this Solution:

1. All the players even the BIS ones need to play the mechanics again – need to dodge red zones because you loos Power crit defense or something else an the stronger you get the more you loose.
10 % defense lost of 80000 is alot more than 10 % of 55000.

2. Now a skilled lower lvl guy can get through the dungeon much better because if a BIS guy gets reduced for everything on Boss fights he gets weaker and weaker and the lower lvl guy can be the better choice.

Problem 2:

Weapon Enchantements:

At the moment Weapon Enchantements introduce a debuff for fixed stats. For example a weapon enchantement removes 2700 defense.

Problem: The more the game progresses the more this gets useless.

Solution:

The Weapon Enchantement removes defense or power or crit or whatever % based BUT: only different types of Weapon enchantements stack. So If I play Plague fire I remove 5 % defense of the enemies. If another Plague Fire is there it does not lower the defense even more. If a lower lvl Plague Fire is in the run – the debuff of the first hit is applied. So the lower lvl hits enemies – debuff is 3 % and if the higher one hits it stays on 3 % until time is over and it needs to get applied new.

If the Developers think about this could bee too much of a removement of stats of Bosses – there are 3 Bosses in most Dungeons – So Boss 1 could be immune to frost debuff Boss 2 could be Immune to Plague Fire Debuff and so on.

You can even introduce higher lvls of Debuffs but for cost of Power. So a Rank 14 Plague Fire removes 14% of defense of the enemy – but this as a cost – it costs me 14 % of my Power – so my Power gets reduced by 14 %.

Why this Solution:

All Weapon Enchantements are usefull again. Eveyone can think about if he want to be a Debuffer and loose Power or if he still runs Vorpal without the cost of Power. The good thing is – that most not premade groups don´t get all the Benefits – so the content is more balanced. For example: Premade group with 3 plague fires different ranks means – only 1 Debuff and the guy with a 14 % debuff loose 14 % Power and not the 14 % Debuff gets applied eveytime. And if one of the Bosses is immune to plague fires you loose 14 % Power and don´t get anything additional like now for the Boss fight. Because of that People want to use different Weapon Enchantements and upgrade them. Cost more AD people maybe spend more real Money.

3. Problem:

Guild Boons:

The guild Boons now gets you a fixed amount of Power:
That means you get 8k Power for structure 10 Barracks.

Problem:

it gets more and more useless in the future because it´s fixed stat.
A lower lvl guy get overpowered with all this additional Power. The game for low lvl guy gets too easy!

Solution:

For every structure lvl you get 1 % of Power. So rank 10 barracks give you 10 % additional Power.

Why this Solution:

A new player who plays the game gets only 10 % more power. So if his gear enchantements and so on is now at 600 Power he now gets 660 Power. This is not much of a difference and h still can´t fly over the campaigns. The high lvl BIS guy with 200k Power gets additional 10 % what means 220k Power now. But if he uses a Debuff Weapon enchantement he loose 14 % or whatever the Debuff is.
The game should be more balanced.

If you are a guildless player the 10 % difference is not too much especially when all kinds of damge reduce your defense and power and so on if you don´t play the mechanics you loose everything percentage based. So you only get a better start for all content.

Problem 4:

Mounts and companions:

Mounts are too weak. Also here all the fixed stats getting outdated very soon and need rework in the future. The swarm and the T-rex are in a good place because they use % based stuff.

Also companions should introduce % based healing damaging and stuff like that. When Neverwinter progresses – everything with fixed stats gets more and more useless.

Solution:
Also here every mount and companion should give % based stats or debuffs or buffs.

Why this Solution:

It never gets outdated – it never needs rework.

Why % based Solution overall:

The best part is: The developers don´t need to waste time with scaling and stuff. They can even remove the scrips for downscaling and the scrips for low lvl players getting only x amount of guild boosn stat – that would mean the game gets smaller an hopefully alot better to maintain. The Developers can do what they should: Invest time in making good Dungeons good Boss fights good content overall. Think about what attacks use a Boss and so on. Also you can invest more time making better gear.
All that wasted time for scaling what never will be in a good spot could be used for something else.
In the future you don´t need to rework guild boons because 10 % are always 10 % and it never gets old or outdated.

I think it makes much more sense especially when you even as BIS player can loose stats % based. Sure content still gets outdated and people get still much too strong for some old content but it slows down. And it would be nice if even a lower lvl boss can damge me because I lost 10 % defense because I was too lazy to play the mechanics.

The only thing especially for Bosses is: Tanks need to be able to block some of the incoming things. With shield up and standing in red they only take the damage (reduced) but not the Debuff

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    rev#7881 rev Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    Forum went up in flames because of scalling and the fact that we are getting penalized for having better stuff, so adding debuffs on top of 1sec cooldowns on aoe/interrupts/cc is not a great idea or that different from what we have now, in a matter of fact it would be worse because people are lazy and don't bother dodge red or learn mechanics ( just look at timat)

Companions and weapons enchants used to give %debuffs/buffs even recovery but it was ''breaking the game'' so they removed it/changed it

Strongholds should be having changes in the near future (according to old livestreams), but i do agree it would be better if boons were %power insted of a flat ammount
  • Options
    rev#7881 said:

Forum went up in flames because of scalling and the fact that we are getting penalized for having better stuff, so adding debuffs on top of 1sec cooldowns on aoe/interrupts/cc is not a great idea or that different from what we have now, in a matter of fact it would be worse because people are lazy and don't bother dodge red or learn mechanics ( just look at timat)

Companions and weapons enchants used to give %debuffs/buffs even recovery but it was ''breaking the game'' so they removed it/changed it

Strongholds should be having changes in the near future (according to old livestreams), but i do agree it would be better if boons were %power insted of a flat ammount

this should be instead of scaling - scaling needs to be removed if you do additional damage like described. This way the game could progress faster and the not lazy people don´t get penalized
  • Options
    ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    You're barking up the wrong tree. You're arguing against scaling, something that was done endlessly for months before/after scaling released/to this day.

Scaling is here to stay for at least a year because mistakes can not be admitted and failure is not an option. Until another dev comes in and wants to make things "simpler" again.
  • Options

You're barking up the wrong tree. You're arguing against scaling, something that was done endlessly for months before/after scaling released/to this day.

Scaling is here to stay for at least a year because mistakes can not be admitted and failure is not an option. Until another dev comes in and wants to make things "simpler" again.

but my suggestions would make the game simpler I think and especially Devs can Focus at other stuff - it´s a solution why you don´t need scaling.

The Problem on Scaling is: it never ends you ALWAYS have to maintain it - this is so much wasted time also for all upcoming updates - it makes no sense!
  • Options
    ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    I'm not arguing against some of your ideas. Some make sense.

Scaling is garbage. I'm not a fan of it. If it had been handled differently maybe. But this scaling is trash.

Even with that said, there's a whole time & money aspect that has been sunk into this new scaling system. And, going off historical evidence, there will be no turning around and changing scaling anytime soon.