test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Character Creation Dice Rolls

spittfyre72spittfyre72 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
When did you remove dice rolls from character creation? When did this game veer so far off from DnD? I've been trying not to complain about this, but being able to roll your dice and customize your beginning stats was another one of the many ways you were able to customize your character in this game, and now you can't do that?

Comments

• krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User

When did you remove dice rolls from character creation? When did this game veer so far off from DnD? I've been trying not to complain about this, but being able to roll your dice and customize your beginning stats was another one of the many ways you were able to customize your character in this game, and now you can't do that?

Yep another great addition of mod 16 brilliant design. There are NO players that like it. Why they thought it was a good idea basically means the person who came up with the idea has NEVER played dnd ever.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    krumple01 said:

Yep another great addition of mod 16 brilliant design. There are NO players that like it. Why they thought it was a good idea basically means the person who came up with the idea has NEVER played dnd ever.
    Actually, players that gimped their toons because they didn't know about re-rolling until you got the best scores, like it just fine...
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    Baldurs gate 3 is here dont worry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • mwkmwk Member Posts: 401 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    I didn't like this at all! Especially for my Rogue, which it's possible to have 16STR-18DEX. The human Rogue as I know has the choice of +3 on any stats in Mod 16. So typically there might be people choosing 16STR-18DEX or 13STR-21DEX. I wanted 16STR-18DEX for my Rogue and personally it's the stats that I had before Mod 16, which Cryptic gave every existing player no choice with 13STR-21DEX for Rogue. To be honest 16STR-18DEX isn't bad at all, because personally I hit hard with those stats. I wish we had more of our choice, but I learned to dealt with it.

Ranger is fine
    Barbarian is fine
    Rogue has more choice.
    Paladin, well I think I gave more strength with blend? Like 11 and now it's 9 (starting roll)
    Rogue seems to be more of an issue.
    Therefore I wish we had more choice, but Cryptic doesn't understand what some people prefer.

However, since critical severity dropped, it might be needed for more dex? Still doesn't feel the same at times.
  • groo#6243 groo Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    I get the impression Cryptic are trying to take NW down more of an arcade route. Maybe to try and appeal to more casual players or maybe because they just don't have the manpower to maintain the game as was (pre mod 16). It is perhaps a shame for long term players and those who are fans of D&D in general, but I guess in the long term, players that like the new NW will come to the game and those that want something more in depth will turn to alternative games. Only time will tell how overall player numbers and income to the game (the important part for Cryptic/PWE) are affected.

Personally, I think there will remain some instability for at least another couple of mods whilst the game is patched, re-balanced, player numbers fluctuate, etc, etc and then the game and player numbers will finally settle. I read that pretty much the same thing happened when the Elemental Evil mod dropped (although, arguably, the changes weren't quite so drastic then).
  • dionchidionchi Member Posts: 915 Arc User
    "Rolling a character" has been a part of Dungeons & Dragons, since the invention of Dungeons and Dragons... In no D&D update that I've ever been aware of has there been a DM handing out characters saying: This is what you get like it or lump it", but then I have been away from the (real D&D) game for almost a decade now. Has it changed?

But then all things considered although rolling one's own character has always been at the heart of D&, of all the changes brought out by Mod 16, I'd say the loss of being able to roll one's own character seems to be one of the changes that effect gale play the least from what I've been reading.

¢¢
    DD~
  • kangkeokkangkeok Member Posts: 1,123 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    When I 1st played this game, I was thinking of making a dex base ranger. As I play the game I realize that it matter little. Now, it doesn't matter at all since its already chosen for us.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    dionchi said:

"Rolling a character" has been a part of Dungeons & Dragons, since the invention of Dungeons and Dragons... In no D&D update that I've ever been aware of has there been a DM handing out characters saying: This is what you get like it or lump it", but then I have been away from the (real D&D) game for almost a decade now. Has it changed?

But then all things considered although rolling one's own character has always been at the heart of D&, of all the changes brought out by Mod 16, I'd say the loss of being able to roll one's own character seems to be one of the changes that effect gale play the least from what I've been reading.

¢¢

True. And only a very few DM's will allow you to re-roll until you get scores that you like. And even then, usually only with new players. In the original game you rolled once, and you got what you got. If you ended up with a fighter with a strength of 3...