test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
REMINDER - 32-bit Windows OS Support will end this Thursday, July 18!

32-Bit Windows OS Support

2»

Comments

• b0rkch0pb0rkch0p Posts: 233Member Arc User

Please excuse my ignorance on the subject but I need a little help. I am running Win 64 bit OS but when I launch my game it says Arc 32 bit, is it just the OS that is affected or do I have to update the Arc launcher as well?

the exact question I asked! =p how can you not support a 32bit version of windows if the client is still 32bit ;p
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Posts: 1,051Member Arc User

My husband fired it up on the 32 bit client to show you what to look for on your launcher.

https://i.postimg.cc/gcfzgn2J/warning.png

If you see this warning, then you are currently running 32 bit OS. If your PC can support 64 bit OS, then it is in need of a software upgrade.

Question: What does 64 bit do?
    Answer: Apparently it handles memory better. It does not change or improve graphics. It will not reduce network latency (aka lag).
    b0rkch0p said:

Please excuse my ignorance on the subject but I need a little help. I am running Win 64 bit OS but when I launch my game it says Arc 32 bit, is it just the OS that is affected or do I have to update the Arc launcher as well?

the exact question I asked! =p how can you not support a 32bit version of windows if the client is still 32bit ;p
    64 bit OS is backwards compatible to 32 bit applications. My husband's question once again, what 64 bit kernel optimizations are being implemented on July 18th? Users deserve to know, if this is an actual use of their 64 bit OS, or just filter out the minority 2%?

zorg-siggy.png
  • kvetkvet Posts: 2,697Member, NW M9 Playtest Arc User
    Has anyone here tried running Neverwinter on a Mac using Wine or VMWare Fusion?

My work is considering forcing me onto an 8-core Macbook Pro i9 (I've been using top-end HP zbooks for years now). If they do, I'll be able to install a Windows 10 image under VMWare Fusion, but in my experience Fusion is good to a point (especially when using anything related to MS Office), but gets clunky and runs into driver conflicts on graphics intensive programs. I have plenty of experience with Linux, but I'm only marginally familiar with the MacOS X Unix implementation.
  • adinosiiadinosii Posts: 3,814Member, NW M9 Playtest Arc User

64 bit OS is backwards compatible to 32 bit applications.

32-bit applications, yes, but if I understood this correctly, the idea is to switch entirely over to a single 64-bit client, and for that you need a 64-bit OS. The ARC software may remain 32-bit, so it can run on either a 32 or 64-bit platform - I'm only talking about the actual game client).

The savings from only having to test/develop a single Windows client, instead of a 32 and a 64-bit one probably outweigh the expected loss from losing customers with a 32-bit OS.

Make NWO great again, please....
  • plasticbatplasticbat Posts: 5,929Member, NW M9 Playtest Arc User
    edited June 12
    adinosii said:

32-bit applications, yes, but if I understood this correctly, the idea is to switch entirely over to a single 64-bit client, and for that you need a 64-bit OS. The ARC software may remain 32-bit, so it can run on either a 32 or 64-bit platform - I'm only talking about the actual game client).

The savings from only having to test/develop a single Windows client, instead of a 32 and a 64-bit one probably outweigh the expected loss from losing customers with a 32-bit OS.

If they keep 32bit application and do proper testing, they need to test on at least 3 platforms.
    64bit application on Windows 64bit OS.
    32bit application on Windows 32bit OS.
    32bit application on Windows 64bit OS.

Getting rid of 32bit application eliminates 2 of them.

Then, there is installation complication.

64bit application installs under "Program Files".
    32bit application installs under "Program Files (x86)" in 64bit OS.
    32bit application installs under "Program Files" in 32bit OS.

Then, there is Registry complication.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Posts: 1,051Member Arc User

adinosii said:

If they keep 32bit application and do proper testing, they need to test on at least 3 platforms.
    64bit application on Windows 64bit OS.
    32bit application on Windows 32bit OS.
    32bit application on Windows 64bit OS.

Getting rid of 32bit application eliminates 2 of them.

Then, there is installation complication.

64bit application installs under "Program Files".
    32bit application installs under "Program Files (x86)" in 64bit OS.
    32bit application installs under "Program Files" in 32bit OS.

Then, there is Registry complication.
    Well not really, once more there is no real need to run Arc at all. Neverwinter is just called by the Arc catalog program. Arc does nothing during the game. Neverwinter.exe is the real game launcher then after the Client.exe starts the Neverwinter.exe shuts down. I can also install Neverwinter to any directory (folder) and Linux doesn't even use drive letters or a system registry.

@kvet Using a program called WineBottler and Play on Mac, Windows programs run on Mac. It is important to note, these programs are not emulation, as they don't pretend to be Windows, but instead just point at which programs should be used in place of the ones called by the application. These programs are open sourced but they do sell a commercial packages with support as well.

When my husband was testing the 32 bit OS he has found that Champions has no such warning posted and runs smoothly on Windows 32 bit OS with DirectX 9. This made him question; Since Windows 32 bit only represents 2% of the total online population of just about every online game, how long before Champions is declared "dead weight"? They represent only 4% of the total online Cryptic community but soon they will be 100% of the 32 bit OS gaming. Arc launcher is probably staying 32 bit for that one game.
    zorg-siggy.png