Lair of mad mage unplayable

2»

Comments

• mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    vorphied said:

r

Try saving your encounters...

Not just spamming them blindly...

This. Use only as many encounters as needed for each mimic, and bank a Daily if necessary if you think the mimics are coming soon. I see a lot of players overkilling their first mimic and having nothing left for their second.

And this is do to how bad the devs designed cool downs and encounters. This is an ACTION BASED RGPMMO and with how our cooldowns are for our encounters the game is more tactical; where I we have to think about when and how to use an encounter vs. simply using it when its ready. Action base is all about things being fast paced and engaging. Well, our cool downs are anything but fast and do to them being so long it changed the game from action based to tactical based.

If I wanted to play a tactical based RPG I would go play another game, not NWO.
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    Having to think when you play doesn’t make it “tactical” and mashing buttons as fast as possible isn’t the only way to have “action”.

Having done some comparisons with another Paladin’s experience with Trobriand I find the whole “unplayable” premise of this thread even funnier. I’m apparently tanking this boss with anything up to a 5s lag, which means I basically never dodge his red splat (the CC of which ignores all CC immunity while hitting hard). Certainly makes it more of a challenge.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    edited May 2019

And this is do to how bad the devs designed cool downs and encounters. This is an ACTION BASED RGPMMO and with how our cooldowns are for our encounters the game is more tactical; where I we have to think about when and how to use an encounter vs. simply using it when its ready. Action base is all about things being fast paced and engaging. Well, our cool downs are anything but fast and do to them being so long it changed the game from action based to tactical based.

I think you are confusing "tactical" with "more skill is needed than smash buttons". A tactical game is another thing.

I have to recognise that you are the first person I read who likes "using encounters when they are ready" brainless play. I bet you never played mod 0-1-2 when you needed to use the encounters and dailies just in time or all the party wipe. That was the ORIGINAL Neverwinter. And yes it was an ACTION BASED RGPMMO
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor

I think you are confusing "tactical" with "more skill is needed than smash buttons". A tactical game is another thing.

I have to recognise that you are the first person I read who likes "using encounters when they are ready" brainless play. I bet you never played mod 0-1-2 when you needed to use the encounters and dailies just in time or all the party wipe. That was the ORIGINAL Neverwinter. And yes it was an ACTION BASED RGPMMO
    I do like using my encounters when they are ready. I like using them to kill things. Not using them and saving them up for the so called harder enemies in prior mods was not needed. Mod 16 removed that style of play. Now if you decide to use a specific encounter but realized you used it to soon you than have to wait it out and hope no more enemies spawn or hope that the next phase of fight doesn't start. While waiting you spam at wills. This style of play is more incline to be lined up with a tactical game where you need to think and plan how to use what abilities. Divinity Original Sin or the Baldur's Gate are games I go play when I want something that require a bit more tactics. I liked NWO as it allowed me not to think or plan my attacks when I was simply roaming around and killing enemies in various zones or even in dungeons.

The other thing is NWO mod 16 also remind more of a loot shooter do to changes in how gear works for stats, how our at wills are now used to slowly chip away at our enemies health while we do the waiting game for our encounter powers. All very much in line with loot shooters. There is still some action but now it is also tactical and well if I wanted to play a loot shoot game I would go play one where there is way more ACTION than this game, its called Anthem. or Destiny.

I don't know about you but combat was more fluid in prior mods; this mod combat is clunky. More clunky than ESO and ESO combat isn't all that smooth but mod 16 made ESO combat feel fluid and smooth compared to NWO combat.

• tom#6998 tom Member Posts: 952 Arc User

I do like using my encounters when they are ready. I like using them to kill things. Not using them and saving them up for the so called harder enemies in prior mods was not needed. Mod 16 removed that style of play. Now if you decide to use a specific encounter but realized you used it to soon you than have to wait it out and hope no more enemies spawn or hope that the next phase of fight doesn't start. While waiting you spam at wills. This style of play is more incline to be lined up with a tactical game where you need to think and plan how to use what abilities. Divinity Original Sin or the Baldur's Gate are games I go play when I want something that require a bit more tactics. I liked NWO as it allowed me not to think or plan my attacks when I was simply roaming around and killing enemies in various zones or even in dungeons.

The other thing is NWO mod 16 also remind more of a loot shooter do to changes in how gear works for stats, how our at wills are now used to slowly chip away at our enemies health while we do the waiting game for our encounter powers. All very much in line with loot shooters. There is still some action but now it is also tactical and well if I wanted to play a loot shoot game I would go play one where there is way more ACTION than this game, its called Anthem. or Destiny.

I don't know about you but combat was more fluid in prior mods; this mod combat is clunky. More clunky than ESO and ESO combat isn't all that smooth but mod 16 made ESO combat feel fluid and smooth compared to NWO combat.

so basicly u just want to turn of your game and smash buttons?
  • rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User

the ones who complained about dungeons not being hard enough are still saying the same thing about LOMM.
    I really wish they would make some kind of tiered system so these uber elites could get this challenge they want and also a suitable reward for it, but at the same time still allow the rest of us to enjoy all the content at our own level of advancement and skill.

They already have the answer for that they should implement a system like barovia hunt to every dungeon, this way challenge=rewards... I've seen a few people talking about this like i did before but it seems the Dev's didin't liked the idea....
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    The explosion doesn't kill unless they are not at full health or if anyone is close to the trapped player. In the first scenario above, the Cleric would have been standing too close. As far as timing, cocoon happens after mimics nearly every time, so they should have ample time to plan and pay attenyion to divinity or sparks.
    tom#6998 said:

so basicly u just want to turn of your game and smash buttons?
    When I stated smashing button what I meant by that is faster paced combat where encounters are available more often. I look at other MMO games I have played and there was always free rein on how many abilities I can use as long as I have mana. This game uses cool down to counter that there is no mana in this game; however, in those other games I rarely ever ran out of mana and if I did I popped a potion and bam would be filled and still able to use my encounters/abilities as I see fit.

Cool downs on encounters slows down the pace of combat and has made combat not as fluid. It has made combat tedious, slow and boring. Yeah it does have some action if you like holding down your at will button but I already do that during all prior mods but now I have to wait much longer between my encounters. Combat in this game mod 16 state feels like a loot shooter where you use your gun primary attack (at wills) to slowly ship at enemies health until an ability/encounter comes off cool down to use to quickly kill an enemy.

I want lower cool downs so that way combat feels more fluid and not so tedious, slow and boring. I thought ESO combat was bad, NWO mod 16 combat is much worst. I have this point more than once.
  • kiraskytowerkiraskytower Member Posts: 455 Arc User

friend got me to give it another shot and we beat it in 33 mins. had 2 barbs as dps and 1 warlock, barb tank and me the cleric healer. have to agree that all in all its far too easy.

https://imgur.com/a/QQ6g9iZ

it's certainly gotten easier with the HP reduction on the mimics and some of the other changes the devs have made. For what is supposed to be the hardest dungeon in the game it's not that bad at all once you understand the basic mechanics. One thing I do like about the dungeon is the mechanics actually do make the healer kind of the team VIP (as opposed to most dungeons where I find myself mostly just doing the same things over and over again as healer).
    PandorasMisfits_Logo_175_zpskpytcqxc.png
    Winter Lily (CW) / Winter Rose (DC) / Winter Ivy (HR)
    Pandora's Misfits Guild Leader